blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:07:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 658 659 660 661 [662] 663 664 665 666 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180180 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9915 on: June 10, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »

But it's ok wee Ruth has got a promise from Theresa "strong and stable" May that she wont roll back the laws that punish the gays. 

Is wee Ruthie being selfish.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:31:08 PM by PokerBroker » Logged
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: June 10, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »

Double Standards, no?
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: June 10, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »

James sounds like a sensible chat.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: June 10, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »

Only the other day you were labelling people who made the link between Sinn Fein and the IRA as cretins.  Yet you have done pretty much the same thing for the last few days. 

There is quite a difference between the UDA endorsing a DUP candidate and the DUP endorsing the UDA, and similarly if the real/new IRA endorsed a Sinn Fein candidate, it would be equally non-newsworthy.  It isn't a big stretch to realise that members of the UDA were hardly likely to put an X by Sinn Fein when in the ballot box.

I am no fan of the DUP or the Conservatives, but some of the stuff written is a bit hysterical.  Even if the DUP did want to vote against gay marriage then those on the other side of the house are hardly likely to vote against it too.  And there must be already plenty of Tory MPs who share the same outdated views as some in the DUP, but the Conservatives haven't spent the last few years trying to ban abortions to appease them. 

Of course there are issues around how the Government remains neutral when dealing with Northern Irish parliament with the DUP on board, but even then there was probably already enough deep anti Sinn Fein or IRA feeling on that side, so the issue isn't anything new either.  Maybe the issue is it is hard for them to "appear" even handed now.  And it is how you "appear" to act that matters more in politics than how you really act.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: June 10, 2017, 10:28:46 PM »

Only the other day you were labelling people who made the link between Sinn Fein and the IRA as cretins.  Yet you have done pretty much the same thing for the last few days. 

There is quite a difference between the UDA endorsing a DUP candidate and the DUP endorsing the UDA, and similarly if the real/new IRA endorsed a Sinn Fein candidate, it would be equally non-newsworthy.  It isn't a big stretch to realise that members of the UDA were hardly likely to put an X by Sinn Fein when in the ballot box.

I am no fan of the DUP or the Conservatives, but some of the stuff written is a bit hysterical.  Even if the DUP did want to vote against gay marriage then those on the other side of the house are hardly likely to vote against it too.  And there must be already plenty of Tory MPs who share the same outdated views as some in the DUP, but the Conservatives haven't spent the last few years trying to ban abortions to appease them. 

Of course there are issues around how the Government remains neutral when dealing with Northern Irish parliament with the DUP on board, but even then there was probably already enough deep anti Sinn Fein or IRA feeling on that side, so the issue isn't anything new either.  Maybe the issue is it is hard for them to "appear" even handed now.  And it is how you "appear" to act that matters more in politics than how you really act.

I labelled the establishment cretins for playing up a link between Corbyn and the IRA.  I never once stated anyone making the link between Sinn Fein and the Provos cretins.  SF never played down it's role. 

Danny Morrison came up with the "Who here really believes we can win the war through the ballot box? But will anyone here object if, with a ballot paper in this hand and an Armalite in the other, we take power in Ireland?"

The DUP have always been hand in hand with the UDA and the UFF.  Perhaps you don't know or understand the links as your Free Press never reported evenly on the situation in the North.  Indeed many on here seem to think that it was just IRA bad and they engaged on their own. 

The UDA are still to this day killing people and running drug and prostitution gangs across the North. 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: June 10, 2017, 10:49:19 PM »

I labelled the establishment cretins for playing up a link between Corbyn and the IRA.  I never once stated anyone making the link between Sinn Fein and the Provos cretins.  SF never played down it's role. 

Danny Morrison came up with the "Who here really believes we can win the war through the ballot box? But will anyone here object if, with a ballot paper in this hand and an Armalite in the other, we take power in Ireland?"

The DUP have always been hand in hand with the UDA and the UFF.  Perhaps you don't know or understand the links as your Free Press never reported evenly on the situation in the North.  Indeed many on here seem to think that it was just IRA bad and they engaged on their own. 

The UDA are still to this day killing people and running drug and prostitution gangs across the North. 

Bit of a big assumption on my reading material and my knowledge of Northern Ireland there.  The deaths from The Troubles are pretty well documented, and I'd have to be a complete ignoramous to be unaware that large numbers of Catholics were killed. 

Some people on both sides of the divide are still getting involved in crimes and murders, but the place is much more peaceful than it was. 

The vast majority of Northern Irish people want to put this behind them, and I dare say the same applied during the troubles, it is a shame some people are still intent on stirring things up, but guess that is the nature of some people.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: June 10, 2017, 10:52:24 PM »

Bit of a big assumption on my reading material and my knowledge of Northern Ireland there.  The deaths from The Troubles are pretty well documented, and I'd have to be a complete ignoramous to be unaware that large numbers of Catholics were killed. 

Some people on both sides of the divide are still getting involved in crimes and murders, but the place is much more peaceful than it was. 

The vast majority of Northern Irish people want to put this behind them, and I dare say the same applied during the troubles, it is a shame some people are still intent on stirring things up, but guess that is the nature of some people.

It's not about the troubles though, that has come and gone.  We could go round in circles debating the rights and wrongs of that.

The DUP are the most backward party represented at Westminister. 
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: June 10, 2017, 10:53:01 PM »

Well then . . . . .
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: June 10, 2017, 10:53:33 PM »

Gavin Barwell ousted in election and parachutes straight back in as Chief of Staff a slap in the face to voters. 

Really annoyed because Barwell came across a centrist comptent person to me when I heard him speak 2 weeks ago. Looks like he is as career politician, happy to get behind any old crap. Glad I was one of the 5000 who get rid of him in Croydon.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: June 10, 2017, 11:03:11 PM »

Thought this was very good Smiley

Click to see full-size image.

And there came from the land of Britain a prophet, whose name was Jeremy. And he cried aloud in the wilderness, and said, Behold, I bring you hope.

The Book of Jeremy Corbyn (New Yorker)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: June 10, 2017, 11:04:32 PM »

They are already at it. 

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: June 11, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »

Does anyone know what happens if the 1922 committee tells May to gtf and she resigns?  In particular, can someone step up as temporary leader until a contest, or does she stay on as leader until after the contest (and therefore Prime Minister)?
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: June 11, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »

Does anyone know what happens if the 1922 committee tells May to gtf and she resigns?  In particular, can someone step up as temporary leader until a contest, or doses she stay on as leader until after the contest (and therefore Prime Minister)?

Same as Cameron resigning I presume.......stays on till another Tory leader in place to take over.

JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: June 11, 2017, 03:52:07 PM »

The DUP seem very dated and its sad that NI are still voting down these lines of religion with what seems little choice of parties than before. I think they have some similar held views to a section of the tory party and concerning they bring this kind of stuff to the front, when cameron, osborne etc had really brought the tory party forward. They have every right to form a government together. directly or indirectly, they were democratically elected and dictating to NI that we think their representatives are unworthy, or worse worthy of derision doesnt help with NI tensions either.

Id like May to regain a semblance of respect and say they will use them to get us into a position where the country can continue on a steady footing in preparation for elections in october. Then quit.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: June 11, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »

The DUP seem very dated and its sad that NI are still voting down these lines of religion with what seems little choice of parties than before. I think they have some similar held views to a section of the tory party and concerning they bring this kind of stuff to the front, when cameron, osborne etc had really brought the tory party forward. They have every right to form a government together. directly or indirectly, they were democratically elected and dictating to NI that we think their representatives are unworthy, or worse worthy of derision doesnt help with NI tensions either.

Id like May to regain a semblance of respect and say they will use them to get us into a position where the country can continue on a steady footing in preparation for elections in october. Then quit.

They're not forming a government, it'll be a lot messier than that. The last paragraph isn't looking great. The "semblance of respect" ship has well and truly sailed. As for "continue on a steady footing", I don't really know what to say. We agree about quitting though and the timing seems about right too.
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 660 661 [662] 663 664 665 666 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: