blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2020, 02:48:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2254053 Posts in 66554 Topics by 16619 Members
Latest Member: DesirusH
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: 1 ... 658 659 660 661 [662] 663 664 665 666 ... 1526 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 1147234 times)
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9915 on: June 10, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »

So her 2 special advisors have gone but she keeps her job.  Seems about right. 
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: June 10, 2017, 02:40:02 PM »

I can't see any way the Tories fight the next election with TM as leader and October is the earliest any leadership contest could happen so another 2017 GE looks unlikely IMO.

Doesn't a vote of no confidence make an election mandatory?

Didn't seem to for Corbyn

Different between a party leader and the PM.  If the opposition call a vote of no confidence then the Govt can be brought down think Callaghan in 1979 when Gerry Fitt abstained.

I don't know the rules, but in Corbyn's case pretty much everyone assumed he couldn't survive a no confidence vote and he did.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: June 10, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »

I can't see any way the Tories fight the next election with TM as leader and October is the earliest any leadership contest could happen so another 2017 GE looks unlikely IMO.

Different between a party leader and the PM.  If the opposition call a vote of no confidence then the Govt can be brought down think Callaghan in 1979 when Gerry Fitt abstained.

I don't know the rules, but in Corbyn's case pretty much everyone assumed he couldn't survive a no confidence vote and he did.   

And just look at the bastard now, eh? Wink

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9918 on: June 10, 2017, 02:47:19 PM »

2227 more votes and JC would be PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-election-results-votes-away-prime-minister-theresa-may-hung-parliament-a7782581.html

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: June 10, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »

probably crossed wires, I'm referring to "no confidence" in this context

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/14/section/2

ie it doesn't matter what the Tories do, if that motion passes there is an election.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: June 10, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »

And, in late news, the 1.01 shot is landed.

Name:  TightEnd
Position:  Administrator
IP:   50.66.90.229  
Hostname:  

Date Registered:  January 31, 2005, 09:52:00 AM
Last Active:  Today at 05:50:05 PM

Current Status:  Online   [Add To Buddy List]  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:04:45 AM by Sheriff Fatman » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: June 10, 2017, 07:53:06 PM »

Gavin Barwell ousted in election and parachutes straight back in as Chief of Staff a slap in the face to voters. 
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: June 10, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »

But it's ok wee Ruth has got a promise from Theresa "strong and stable" May that she wont roll back the laws that punish the gays. 

Is wee Ruthie being selfish.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:31:08 PM by PokerBroker » Logged
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: June 10, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »

Double Standards, no?
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: June 10, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »

James sounds like a sensible chat.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: June 10, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »

Only the other day you were labelling people who made the link between Sinn Fein and the IRA as cretins.  Yet you have done pretty much the same thing for the last few days. 

There is quite a difference between the UDA endorsing a DUP candidate and the DUP endorsing the UDA, and similarly if the real/new IRA endorsed a Sinn Fein candidate, it would be equally non-newsworthy.  It isn't a big stretch to realise that members of the UDA were hardly likely to put an X by Sinn Fein when in the ballot box.

I am no fan of the DUP or the Conservatives, but some of the stuff written is a bit hysterical.  Even if the DUP did want to vote against gay marriage then those on the other side of the house are hardly likely to vote against it too.  And there must be already plenty of Tory MPs who share the same outdated views as some in the DUP, but the Conservatives haven't spent the last few years trying to ban abortions to appease them. 

Of course there are issues around how the Government remains neutral when dealing with Northern Irish parliament with the DUP on board, but even then there was probably already enough deep anti Sinn Fein or IRA feeling on that side, so the issue isn't anything new either.  Maybe the issue is it is hard for them to "appear" even handed now.  And it is how you "appear" to act that matters more in politics than how you really act.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: June 10, 2017, 10:28:46 PM »

Only the other day you were labelling people who made the link between Sinn Fein and the IRA as cretins.  Yet you have done pretty much the same thing for the last few days. 

There is quite a difference between the UDA endorsing a DUP candidate and the DUP endorsing the UDA, and similarly if the real/new IRA endorsed a Sinn Fein candidate, it would be equally non-newsworthy.  It isn't a big stretch to realise that members of the UDA were hardly likely to put an X by Sinn Fein when in the ballot box.

I am no fan of the DUP or the Conservatives, but some of the stuff written is a bit hysterical.  Even if the DUP did want to vote against gay marriage then those on the other side of the house are hardly likely to vote against it too.  And there must be already plenty of Tory MPs who share the same outdated views as some in the DUP, but the Conservatives haven't spent the last few years trying to ban abortions to appease them. 

Of course there are issues around how the Government remains neutral when dealing with Northern Irish parliament with the DUP on board, but even then there was probably already enough deep anti Sinn Fein or IRA feeling on that side, so the issue isn't anything new either.  Maybe the issue is it is hard for them to "appear" even handed now.  And it is how you "appear" to act that matters more in politics than how you really act.

I labelled the establishment cretins for playing up a link between Corbyn and the IRA.  I never once stated anyone making the link between Sinn Fein and the Provos cretins.  SF never played down it's role. 

Danny Morrison came up with the "Who here really believes we can win the war through the ballot box? But will anyone here object if, with a ballot paper in this hand and an Armalite in the other, we take power in Ireland?"

The DUP have always been hand in hand with the UDA and the UFF.  Perhaps you don't know or understand the links as your Free Press never reported evenly on the situation in the North.  Indeed many on here seem to think that it was just IRA bad and they engaged on their own. 

The UDA are still to this day killing people and running drug and prostitution gangs across the North. 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: June 10, 2017, 10:49:19 PM »

I labelled the establishment cretins for playing up a link between Corbyn and the IRA.  I never once stated anyone making the link between Sinn Fein and the Provos cretins.  SF never played down it's role. 

Danny Morrison came up with the "Who here really believes we can win the war through the ballot box? But will anyone here object if, with a ballot paper in this hand and an Armalite in the other, we take power in Ireland?"

The DUP have always been hand in hand with the UDA and the UFF.  Perhaps you don't know or understand the links as your Free Press never reported evenly on the situation in the North.  Indeed many on here seem to think that it was just IRA bad and they engaged on their own. 

The UDA are still to this day killing people and running drug and prostitution gangs across the North. 

Bit of a big assumption on my reading material and my knowledge of Northern Ireland there.  The deaths from The Troubles are pretty well documented, and I'd have to be a complete ignoramous to be unaware that large numbers of Catholics were killed. 

Some people on both sides of the divide are still getting involved in crimes and murders, but the place is much more peaceful than it was. 

The vast majority of Northern Irish people want to put this behind them, and I dare say the same applied during the troubles, it is a shame some people are still intent on stirring things up, but guess that is the nature of some people.

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: June 10, 2017, 10:52:24 PM »

Bit of a big assumption on my reading material and my knowledge of Northern Ireland there.  The deaths from The Troubles are pretty well documented, and I'd have to be a complete ignoramous to be unaware that large numbers of Catholics were killed. 

Some people on both sides of the divide are still getting involved in crimes and murders, but the place is much more peaceful than it was. 

The vast majority of Northern Irish people want to put this behind them, and I dare say the same applied during the troubles, it is a shame some people are still intent on stirring things up, but guess that is the nature of some people.

It's not about the troubles though, that has come and gone.  We could go round in circles debating the rights and wrongs of that.

The DUP are the most backward party represented at Westminister. 
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: June 10, 2017, 10:53:01 PM »

Well then . . . . .
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 660 661 [662] 663 664 665 666 ... 1526 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: