blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 958 959 960 961 [962] 963 964 965 966 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2190964 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14415 on: October 12, 2018, 09:12:16 AM »

The Electoral Commission found the main Leave campaigns broke the law, and referred them to the Met.

So why has the police not opened an investigation, 5 months later?

(cliffs: political sensitivities)

one campaigner was moved to say "This is HUGE. Met police NOT investigating criminal behaviour by Leave campaigns. AFTER Electoral Commission rules they broke law and hands over evidence."

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexitinc/james-cusick-adam-ramsay/met-police-stall-brexit-campaign-investigations-claiming-polit

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14416 on: October 12, 2018, 09:13:04 AM »

OBR likens no-deal Brexit impact to three-day week

The Office for Budget Responsibility raised the spectre of goods shortages and hoarding in the event of a 'disorderly' divorce.

https://news.sky.com/story/obr-likens-no-deal-brexit-impact-to-three-day-week-11523664

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14417 on: October 12, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »

NEW:

29 no deal notices to be published at 2pm

My eyes are open wide
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #14418 on: October 12, 2018, 01:40:34 PM »

The Office for Budget Responsibility raised the spectre of goods shortages and hoarding in the event of a 'disorderly' divorce.

https://news.sky.com/story/obr-likens-no-deal-brexit-impact-to-three-day-week-11523664

You are being disingenuous here.

The independent Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) said those events - when the UK was hit by industrial disputes and energy shortages - did not provide a direct parallel with what could happen in a disorderly Brexit.

It also said that it was "next to impossible to calibrate" in advance what impact a no-deal might be likely to have..

So the accurate reading is that the OBR said that Brexit and the three-day week were not a parallel to a disorderly Brexit.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14419 on: October 12, 2018, 01:43:10 PM »

The independent Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) said those events - when the UK was hit by industrial disputes and energy shortages - did not provide a direct parallel with what could happen in a disorderly Brexit.

It also said that it was "next to impossible to calibrate" in advance what impact a no-deal might be likely to have..

So the accurate reading is that the OBR said that Brexit and the three-day week were not a parallel to a disorderly Brexit.

Blame the newspaper sub-editor

When i link articles i usually c and p the social media as i did here

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14420 on: October 12, 2018, 01:50:16 PM »

Government will try to replicate existing EU free trade deals with Canada, Japan, Korea dozens more in No Deal Brexit, “as far as possible” and “as soon as possible” after Brexit day, otherwise WTO tariffs will apply: Government new No Deal notices

that is a skynews headline

here is the light reading

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/existing-free-trade-agreements-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/existing-free-trade-agreements-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14421 on: October 12, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »

Interconnectors consistently supply between 2 and 8% of UK daily energy needs.with two more coming online in 2019

"After March 2019 if there’s no deal European energy law will no longer apply to the UK and the UK’s electricity markets will be decoupled from the Internal Energy Market."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/trading-electricity-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/trading-electricity-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

I am sure you won't want all 29 notices but there are the first couple

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14422 on: October 12, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »

UK Busness Insider Exclusive:

"Theresa May given the weekend to change her backstop plan or face losing Andrea Leadsom, Esther McVey and Peddy Mordaunt from Cabinet

It is the litmus test for the taking back control... this is the killer moment"

--

my thought: they want a firm date for transition to end. the current plan has the word "indefinitely" (which isn't permanent, but pretty close) in while they work out a NI solution.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-weekend-to-change-her-brexit-backstop-plan-and-avoid-cabinet-resignations-2018-10

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14423 on: October 12, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »

Well they said that, but they also used the three day week as a comparator so people could envisage the possible effeft of Brexit. In the section on the 3 day week they say it resulted in a drop over a quarter of 3% of GDP, and later in the report they talk about a reduction in GDP of 3.7% over 5 years, but also say it could be worse.  So they are saying it isn't an exact parallel, given the timing differences, but the implication is the effect will be similar.

I think everything in your post appears to be accurate, but Tighty's post seems accurate enough too.  I dare say some newspaper's will be prone to misinterpretation and misreporting, but it seems a strange thing to attack Tighty over.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #14424 on: October 12, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »

Well they said that, but they also used the three day week as a comparator so people could envisage the possible effeft of Brexit. In the section on the 3 day week they say it resulted in a drop over a quarter of 3% of GDP, and later in the report they talk about a reduction in GDP of 3.7% over 5 years, but also say it could be worse.  So they are saying it isn't an exact parallel, given the timing differences, but the implication is the effect will be similar.

I think everything in your post appears to be accurate, but Tighty's post seems accurate enough too.  I dare say some newspaper's will be prone to misinterpretation and misreporting, but it seems a strange thing to attack Tighty over.

I didn’t intend it to be an ‘attack’ on Tighty. But my use of the word disingenuous was out of line and I withdraw it. I’ll message him directly on this too.

I started from a position where I thought that Tighty added his own take on the articles he links to. I realise now that this is not the case.

Sorry Tighty.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14425 on: October 13, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »

"In hindsight was Britain right or wrong to vote to leave the EU?"

Right 40% (-2)
Wrong 47% (-)

Leavers 81% "right"
Remainers 88% "wrong"

18-24 56% "wrong"
Pensioners 61% "right"

Tories 72% "right"
Labour 69% "wrong"

YouGov Oct 8-9

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14426 on: October 13, 2018, 08:56:24 AM »

"Capitulating to Brussels will be the easy part. After that, May must lie to the Brexiters, bully the remainers, and call the bluff of the Democratic Unionists.

As the Brexit circus enters its final month, here is its tightrope."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/12/theresa-may-party-desperate-gambler-brexit

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: October 13, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »

UK government advice to companies like Airbus, Allianz, E.ON, SAP, and Schneider Electric in tech notices out today..... move your headquarters out of the United Kingdom to an EU member state.

I had to check this wasn't a joke

direct quote...

""They may also want to consider whether they wish to move their seat of incorporation to another EU member state. They will need to consider the relevant timeframes for either course of action."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/structuring-your-business-if-theres-no-brexit-deal--2/structuring-your-business-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14428 on: October 13, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »

Millions of consumers face immediate 'catastrophic' consequences from no-deal Brexit, says Which? (not me, live from my basement)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/no-deal-brexit-consumers-face-catastrophic-consequences-which-research-a8580131.html

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: October 13, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »

"Is there a way out of the Brexit mess?" Bush runs through the possibilities.

"The odd thing about the Brexit crisis is all the possible resolutions feel impossible. "

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2018/10/there-way-out-brexit-mess

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 960 961 [962] 963 964 965 966 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: