blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 1207 1208 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180963 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #18045 on: June 11, 2019, 06:31:23 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/10/esther-mcvey-lorraine-kelly-tv-itv-live-link

Bad day for a couple of the wannabe leaders on tv!    Comical scenes esp VD calling Hunt a *****!

I can live with the mistake, although I don't believe she has never used the word before.

However, in a world of fairness, her follow up comment of I'm sorry only men use that word is utterly sexist and she should be sacked.

I say this half joking, but if that is the world we live in now, where you have to watch every p and q, the rules should apply to all.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #18046 on: June 11, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/10/esther-mcvey-lorraine-kelly-tv-itv-live-link

Bad day for a couple of the wannabe leaders on tv!    Comical scenes esp VD calling Hunt a *****!

I can live with the mistake, although I don't believe she has never used the word before.

However, in a world of fairness, her follow up comment of I'm sorry only men use that word is utterly sexist and she should be sacked.

I say this half joking, but if that is the world we live in now, where you have to watch every p and q, the rules should apply to all.

Have to agree with you Adz. This really was a basic, schoolgirl error, for which there really isn’t any excuse for such an experienced professional - and as you say, the attempted deflection makes it even worse.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18047 on: June 11, 2019, 10:20:18 AM »

Why the backstop is a problem and will need a *political* solution acceptable to *both* sides in N. Ireland.

a deep dive into the issue threatening to export Brexit chaos south, east *&* to the continent

A decent explainer

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-uk-northern-ireland-backstop-irish-border-ulster-problem-good-friday-agreement/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18048 on: June 11, 2019, 10:29:03 AM »

Not often you see a chart as staggering as this

So what is it?

a simple cliff note would be:  The more EU funds you benefitted from, the more likely your region voted for Brexit. Also the more EU funding you benefitted from, the less money you received from the UK Government.

Brexit supporting areas are essentially a map of areas abandoned by the UK Government you might say, so they vote leave to register discontent but at a further cost to themselves . I suppose the question is one of causality. Essentially, those that voted for Brexit seem to be those who are feeling left behind/abandoned because of economic/social circumstances & because of these circumstances they receive the most EU support

anyway Regions getting screwed by Westminster/austerity took it out on the EU.

an analysis is in https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-funding-brexit_uk_5cfd4ea7e4b04e90f1cb299f

Boris's proposals will only exacerbate the regional inequality should they come to pass

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18049 on: June 11, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »

Ministers accused of letting Brexit cause 'serious and lasting harm' as manufacturing plummets

figures out yesterday biggest monthly slump since 2002 (though there is unwinding of pre-March stockpiling production in these figures)

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/104451/ministers-accused-letting-brexit-cause-serious-and

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18050 on: June 11, 2019, 12:03:13 PM »

LBC

Caller tells James O'Brien he's supporting Dominic Raab for Tory leadership.

James: "Is he dishonest or incompetent?"

Caller: "I would say incompetent."

:-)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18051 on: June 11, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »

LBC

Caller: “I like Boris, because he’s transparent.”

O'Brien “Transparently dishonest.”

Caller: “Yeah.”

JOB: “Because he’s a narcissistic liar, you like him?”

Caller: “Yeah.”

:-)

My eyes are open wide
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #18052 on: June 11, 2019, 01:01:14 PM »

Have to agree with you Adz. This really was a basic, schoolgirl error, for which there really isn’t any excuse for such an experienced professional - and as you say, the attempted deflection makes it even worse.

The way in which the C word slipped out of her mouth, was not that of a woman/person who had never used the word before. I suspect it's the "in" name for Mr Hunt around the "hateful" BBC, as they think they are all so leftie and clever. Cheesy

My mother in law rarely swears and has never used that word(far too prim etc) and if it ever slipped out of her mouth the reaction would be of absolute shock and horror. VD's response was nothing like it.

As I said though the lack of focus on her blatant sexism is staggering.

The world is full of double standards. All very poor.

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #18053 on: June 11, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »

Why the backstop is a problem and will need a *political* solution acceptable to *both* sides in N. Ireland.

a deep dive into the issue threatening to export Brexit chaos south, east *&* to the continent

A decent explainer

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-uk-northern-ireland-backstop-irish-border-ulster-problem-good-friday-agreement/

Excellent explainer, thanks for posting

So the backstop isn’t acceptable to unionists in NI because it amounts to direct rule from Brussels and therefore from Dublin.

Backstop contains a unilateral break clause for UK if it causes violence, but that clause incentivises unionist violence to get out of it

In that scenario, who are the unionists shooting at? Sinn Féin politicians who support the backstop?

If it really is about the union over all else, shouldn’t support for no deal in NI be growing substantially?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18054 on: June 11, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »

A decent explainer

Excellent explainer, thanks for posting

So the backstop isn’t acceptable to unionists in NI because it amounts to direct rule from Brussels and therefore from Dublin.

Backstop contains a unilateral break clause for UK if it causes violence, but that clause incentivises unionist violence to get out of it

In that scenario, who are the unionists shooting at? Sinn Féin politicians who support the backstop?

If it really is about the union over all else, shouldn’t support for no deal in NI be growing substantially?

DUP, the extreme end of Unionism, is a subset of Unionists and the majority of these are more moderate and pro-remain. The SDLP etc are Pro remain so Leave is in a minority in NI politics

just so happens that the leave element/anti backstop DUP have 8-9 MPs (due to NI constitutuency borders) and a nuclear button of confidence and supply and withdrawing it over the Government (and are paid £1bn for that privilege!)

the loss of majority in 2017 by May did as much as anything else to paralyse parliament,with the DUP infuence being a fairly large part of that

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #18055 on: June 11, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »

I've recently been watching some documentaries such as the Storyville ones about how the Brexit negotiations panned out from within the EU camp. I'm pretty shocked by how bad their attitude stinks. Right from the very start the negotiators were laughing at Britain and giggling about how they were going to fuck us over. Very much seen as a contest where they want to beat us into the ground.

e.g. with regard to this Irish border question they meet with Andrew Rosindell MP to find a solution. EU tell him a hard border is the consequence of the decision to leave tut tut.

Rosindell says that the UK will not be imposing a hard border so let's just carry on as we are.

EU says but you don't want that or you wouldn't have voted to leave tut tut.

Maybe UK shudda thought about this before referendum, it's too late now tut tut.

Why is UK talking about No Deal? tut tut.

Lots of laughing. When Rosindell leaves there's high fives about how the EU "won" and he's called a "fucker".

Pretty sure the complex border problem is "impossible" to solve when Beavis & Butthead are across the table, smirking, giggling, looking backwards are calling people fuckers.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #18056 on: June 11, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »

The remainers choose to ignore these arguments.

To them all is rosy with Europe, and it is a marv place to be.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18057 on: June 11, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »

It probably was until we left. Before that, I think we all laughed at Turkey.

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18058 on: June 11, 2019, 06:35:52 PM »

💣 Rory Stewart suggests he could back Labour’s move to change the parliamentary agenda to allow time to block no dealand prorogation.

Huge deal if a Tory leadership candidate supports this (and a sacking offence from cabinet..)

of course he can't win a leadership contest if that's his view

but might be a good head of a government of national unity to sort it out, ultimately

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18059 on: June 11, 2019, 06:37:35 PM »

of course not. wholly simplistic view

Very few suggest its sweetness and light. Reform from within has been the preference.

Totally preferable to the difficulty of leaving especially with no deal, a view expressed on here for  3 years now and still no sign that this opinion is wrong

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 1207 1208 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: