blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:05:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1445 1446 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 1452 1453 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180535 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21720 on: October 24, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »

Peston

It’s done. Labour has instructed its MPs tonight to block @BorisJohnson’s attempt on Monday to have 12 Dec election. So @BorisJohnson will shelve the Withdrawal Agreement Bill. He will cancel the budget. There will be no government worth the name. Parliament will become...a zombie Parliament, unless and until the opposition find a way to wrest control from @BorisJohnson or hold an election. This deadlock is without modern precedent.

If we ever get back to a functioning Government, do you think the FTPA might be the first thing to go ?

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21721 on: October 24, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »

It's a mess, on all sides

Lucky the right to strike is enshrined in Article 28 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.

The film of JRMs son playing rugby league while his dad and Gove shiver round a fire burning papers from Hansard is sure to follow

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21722 on: October 24, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »

Peston

It’s done. Labour has instructed its MPs tonight to block @BorisJohnson’s attempt on Monday to have 12 Dec election. So @BorisJohnson will shelve the Withdrawal Agreement Bill. He will cancel the budget. There will be no government worth the name. Parliament will become...a zombie Parliament, unless and until the opposition find a way to wrest control from @BorisJohnson or hold an election. This deadlock is without modern precedent.

If we ever get back to a functioning Government, do you think the FTPA might be the first thing to go ?

Nah, it’s fundamentally a good piece of legislation and when govt functions you don’t need it.

It removes from the executive a power which is better given to the legislative, and basically all such prerogatives should be more limited.

Brexit has done a mischief to Britain’s body politic by having a referendum which wasn’t legally binding but is politically but without the requisite level of detail. In effect Britain’s constitution always required either legislative limits (which eg don’t exist in eg case of prorogation or calling GE pre FTPA) or political limits that politicians wouldn’t test the limits. With the new world created by Brexit and the lack of direct accountability to Parliament, bad actors were able to start to test those limits.

As a result; legal limits are much easier to have a court enforce than ‘political conventions’ and thus I think we’ll see more abrogation of perogatives than returning to them.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21723 on: October 24, 2019, 10:01:05 PM »

It's a mess, on all sides

Lucky the right to strike is enshrined in Article 28 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.

The film of JRMs son playing rugby league while his dad and Gove shiver round a fire burning papers from Hansard is sure to follow

Haha, some image

sola virtus nobilitat
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21724 on: October 24, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »

All of this is just Lakhoffian framing.

Johnson’s big pledge was ‘do or die, out by 31st’ (presumably he’d choose to die in a ditch)..and he has failed miserably.

By almost any standard you’d care to think of, he’s the worst PM ever.

This bickering over the timing of the election just serves to re-frame and distract.

All he had to do was act like an adult when he won on second reading but lost on the programme motion and resolved that WAB will take a few more weeks to pass and get on with it. But because Parliament, given time for the proper scrutiny might exercise a bit of sovereignty and make amendments which may not be totally helpful to Johnson winning a majority at the next election (even though a WAB would, in some form, have been passed) he’s decided to withdrawal the bill and threatens to go on strike.

Well fine, go on strike then you child. The absence of a PM is likely to be more effective than your Premiership, you abject failure.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #21725 on: October 24, 2019, 10:57:33 PM »

Johnson’s big pledge was ‘do or die, out by 31st’ (presumably he’d choose to die in a ditch)..and he has failed miserably.

This bickering over the timing of the election just serves to re-frame and distract.

All he had to do was act like an adult when he won on second reading but lost on the programme motion and resolved that WAB will take a few more weeks to pass and get on with it. But because Parliament, given time for the proper scrutiny might exercise a bit of sovereignty and make amendments which may not be totally helpful to Johnson winning a majority at the next election (even though a WAB would, in some form, have been passed) he’s decided to withdrawal the bill and threatens to go on strike.

Well fine, go on strike then you child. The absence of a PM is likely to be more effective than your Premiership, you abject failure.

Failure? He’s made it to prime minister.....hardly a failure. What have you achieved in life other than being good at whining on the Internet?
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21726 on: October 24, 2019, 11:12:20 PM »

Failure? He’s made it to prime minister.....hardly a failure. What have you achieved in life other than being good at whining on the Internet?

I don’t quite know what your problem is with me, but that’s the second totally unreasonable attack in the space of hours.

If you disagree with my politics, challenge them. Debate them.

If you don’t like me personally (even though I’m quite sure we’ve never met), then feel free to block me and don’t read what I write.

If, on the other hand, you’d prefer to do neither and continue the ad hominem attacks, then might I suggest you shout them into the void outside your window instead, because I’m not interested in reading them on this forum.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #21727 on: October 24, 2019, 11:18:04 PM »

I don’t quite know what your problem is with me, but that’s the second totally unreasonable attack in the space of hours.

If you don’t like me personally (even though I’m quite sure we’ve never met), then feel free to block me and don’t read what I write.

If, on the other hand, you’d prefer to do neither and continue the ad hominem attacks, then might I suggest you shout them into the void outside your window instead, because I’m not interested in reading them on this forum.

I am challenging  it.....the reasoning is to make it to prime minister you have to be a success in life not a failure. If he as prime minister a failure in life what does that make you?

Makes me laugh when people throw out these comments like failure without looking at themselves in the mirror first.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #21728 on: October 25, 2019, 06:08:30 AM »

I am challenging  it.....the reasoning is to make it to prime minister you have to be a success in life not a failure. If he as prime minister a failure in life what does that make you?

Makes me laugh when people throw out these comments like failure without looking at themselves in the mirror first.

Not surprisingly, I agree with Woodsey. Not so much that Mull is an abject failure, but when you have idiots like Ed Miliband who is from a constituency which voted 78% in favour of Leave and he refuses to follow that path, then Boris is going to look a fool and there is nothing he can do about it.

Nothing honourable, democratic or sensible about any of it, but at least he is trying.

All Labour want is power and f knows what they want to do if they ever get it.

I'm not sure even a 16 year old could tell you.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #21729 on: October 25, 2019, 06:09:38 AM »

Boris has failed to leave on the 31st October but he has succeeded in painting a picture that he has tried his best to deliver it.

He know needs to try something different as there is a good chance parliament just continue to delay and waste time.

Is he still a failure in your eyes Mulhuzz if he delivers the Conservatives a large majority in the next election?

I have no idea how anyone could class him as the worst PM ever. I mean, let's not forget Tony.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #21730 on: October 25, 2019, 06:34:55 AM »

Boris has failed to leave on the 31st October but he has succeeded in painting a picture that he has tried his best to deliver it.

He know needs to try something different as there is a good chance parliament just continue to delay and waste time.

Is he still a failure in your eyes Mulhuzz if he delivers the Conservatives a large majority in the next election?

I have no idea how anyone could class him as the worst PM ever. I mean, let's not forget Tony.

He’s a few months into the job ffs, how anyone can start with the worst/best labels at this stage is beyond me.....
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21731 on: October 25, 2019, 08:31:36 AM »

You've ignored the points made and turned it into a personal attack.

Having got the bill through second reading what do you think of his decision to not proceed with the legislation?

Do you think not getting your way 100% in a minority government and threatening to go on strike rather than seek compromise is a responsible course of action?

Blue text
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21732 on: October 25, 2019, 09:21:35 AM »

Peston

A Tory government on strike will do less damage to the country than a Tory government in full flow.  I can feel my standard of living improving already.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21733 on: October 25, 2019, 09:27:36 AM »

He’s a few months into the job ffs, how anyone can start with the worst/best labels at this stage is beyond me.....

If all sides had done much less politicking from the start the whole thing would have resolved much more easily.

I think this current round is a mistake - if Johnson delivered any Brexit and then just blamed any compromises on the opposition and the EU he'd still get all the Brexit party votes flooding to the Tories and giving them a majority.

An election before Brexit is delivered seems a much riskier option all round.

As for best/worst - 'ineffective' is probably a more accurate label, because he hasn't really done much; but as pointed out he hasn't really been in the job very long so even that might be a bit harsh.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21734 on: October 25, 2019, 09:29:11 AM »

I feel so inadequate when I have to look up what things mean.

In the forlorn hope I'm not the only one, here you go;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lakoff

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 1445 1446 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 1452 1453 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: