blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:52:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 1517 1518 [1519] 1520 1521 1522 1523 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2191643 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22770 on: January 22, 2020, 09:14:00 PM »

Just watched Jess Phillips and Keir Starmer on Marr.

Phillips came across as straight talking and honest. Clearly gets it that if Labour continue with current policies then regaining support and getting anywhere near power is a pipe dream.

Starmer seemed keen on maintaining the main thrust of their left wing policies. Maybe he’s looking for the support of the party membership but if he believes his own comments there will be no move towards centre ground under Starmer. Even when pressed on it towards end of interview he was adamant that “over steering” would be a big mistake.

I joined the Fabian Society over the weekend to get a vote via one of Labour's affiliates.  It seemed the best compromise compared to re-joining a party still under the control of the far left and with Corbyn still as leader.

Not quite sure who I want to vote for yet.  I like Jess Phillips the best of all the candidates, but don't necessarily think she would make the best leader.  My initial gut feel was that Lisa Nandy was probably my preferred candidate.

The only guaranteed thing is that I won't be voting for Wrong-Daily or, even more laughable, the 'friend of the working class', Ian Lavery.

Not knocking your preference but I always find Jess Phillips does this kind of over emo way of cry-talking, feigning concern and appearing to nearly be in tears so I can't support her - seems to be almost endemic in Labour women with a few honourable exceptions.; Lisa Nandy would be one.  Successful women and leaders like Arlene Foster, Nicola Sturgeon don't suffer from this affectation.

I guess the majority of the labour membership is either hard left (probs wont wash with them) or somewhat infantilised so perhaps the cry-speaking is a winning method.

Starmer, so oily, so disingenuous, so Thornberry, so legalistic, so clearly not remotely connected with the concerns of the average British person - probs the best choice though in electoral terms but still thinking it's a very poor field. Maybe he can do a bit of party management for a while and then someone more interesting might emerge and take over.

I watched the Labour hustings on Saturday. Jess Philiips was terrible but she showed some self awareness in noticing that and pulling out. Thornberry swung between her gentle, but ever so patronising voice and her loud ranty one. No chance.

Starmer and Nandy came over like I expected. Starmer, because I don't like him, oleaginous and creepy. Nandy, relatively straightforward, sounding sensible but still delusional, although I still like her

Rebecca LB was the only one who surprised me - better than I thought, threw in some interesting thoughts on aspiration. I kind of hope she wins so Labour can have their first women leader and get that monkey off their back or less likely perhaps Nandy can do it. Both of them give the impression of being people who could actually grow in the role. Starmer and Thornberry are at their peak and their peak is useless - they're not going to improve. Better that Labour picks a grower as I can't imagine a better time to go down that path

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22771 on: January 29, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »

This is long, but good, and summarises the causes of some of the problems faced by today's youth which are a result of actions that favoured the boomers.  Willetts is a Tory boomer and not a young Corbynista.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22772 on: January 31, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »

BBC News - Brexit: Do Britons now agree about leaving the EU?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51268688

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22773 on: January 31, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »

First UK coronavirus on the same day as Brexit.

Juan out, Wuhan in.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22774 on: January 31, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »

So excited to wake up tomorrow sovereign and free. We has our country back

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22775 on: January 31, 2020, 11:28:28 PM »

Officials remove the British flag at European Union Council in Brussels

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22776 on: January 31, 2020, 11:29:55 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22777 on: February 05, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »

Priti Patel

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22778 on: February 05, 2020, 09:46:20 AM »

Bit quiet on here nowadays........is it just because now the Tories are in and Brexit is happening, people finally realise whining actually doesn’t work?  Cool

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22779 on: February 05, 2020, 10:07:01 AM »

Bit quiet on here nowadays........is it just because now the Tories are in and Brexit is happening, people finally realise whining actually doesn’t work?  Cool

Probably.

Now we just have to wait until people realise that gloating doesn't help either.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22780 on: February 05, 2020, 10:16:58 AM »

Probably.

Now we just have to wait until people realise that gloating doesn't help either.

Course it does!!! 
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #22781 on: February 05, 2020, 10:26:47 AM »

Priti Patel

I was watching live....and was doubting myself what "counter terrorism" meant !
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22782 on: February 05, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »

Priti Patel

I was watching live....and was doubting myself what "counter terrorism" meant !

I often feel sorry for those who make a slip of the tongue and get ridiculed for it, but here there just seems no recognition on her face that she has got it wrong.  Astonishing, when she makes such a big play of how she is tough on crime and countering terrorism must be so high up her agenda.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22783 on: February 05, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »

Probably.

Course it does!!! 

It's a shame we butt heads so often.

As well as being one of the people on here that I disagree with most often, you are also one of those I most admire.

Sometimes, I wish I could be the bigger man. (I'm not talking waistlines here)

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22784 on: February 05, 2020, 12:12:18 PM »

I assume she can't actually be but have always thought she comes across as being completely thick. Wonder if she's ever read a book.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 1515 1516 1517 1518 [1519] 1520 1521 1522 1523 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: