blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:49:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272605 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Euro 2016 thread
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Euro 2016 thread  (Read 81967 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: June 29, 2016, 12:08:24 AM »

Harry Redknapp must be going senile.

Hoddle or Sherwood, he recommended, right?

If we can't find football's Trevor Bayliss or Eddie Jones, I'd sooner have Ian Holloway than any of the top ten in the betting. If we are going to ruin everything, we might as well do it with fun and passion.

Be good to enjoy international games again.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 29, 2016, 12:15:30 AM »

Harry Redknapp must be going senile.

Hoddle or Sherwood, he recommended, right?

If we can't find football's Trevor Bayliss or Eddie Jones, I'd sooner have Ian Holloway than any of the top ten in the betting. If we are going to ruin everything, we might as well do it with fun and passion.

Be good to enjoy international games again.

Harry also mention Big Sam or Steve Bruce.

I'm depressed enough about Brexit without any of those four getting the England job.

Holloway would be great but I would prefer Kevin Keegan.

At least he made football fun, which after all, is why we love the game.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 29, 2016, 12:37:01 AM »

Thinking we should get the England players to do a Game of Thrones style walk of atonement down Wembley Way...shame, shame, shame.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 29, 2016, 01:10:50 AM »

Don't see why Steve Bruce would be such a bad appointment.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: June 29, 2016, 02:05:52 AM »

Thinking we should get the England players to do a Game of Thrones style walk of atonement down Wembley Way...shame, shame, shame.

you want to see them naked???

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 29, 2016, 07:20:49 AM »

I loathe myself for even thinking this, let alone actually saying it, but I would rather have Shearer than Bruce as England Manager.
Bruce's record as a club manager is average at best and his lack of international experience as a player is a clear handicap.
Shearer's lack of management credentials is offset by his experience and reputation.

For the record, I'm not saying I want Shearer in the job, just that he would be a better choice than Brucie.

I'd definitely prefer to go on the lash with Bruce.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »

I loathe myself for even thinking this, let alone actually saying it, but I would rather have Shearer than Bruce as England Manager.
Bruce's record as a club manager is average at best and his lack of international experience as a player is a clear handicap.
Shearer's lack of management credentials is offset by his experience and reputation.

For the record, I'm not saying I want Shearer in the job, just that he would be a better choice than Brucie.

I'd definitely prefer to go on the lash with Bruce.

International management is most definitely a different ball game from club football.  I'm not saying Bruce would be a good appointment but if I were English I'd rather have him than Southgate.  For me an international manager is more like a babysitter they have to bring in many different personalities and build a team around huge egos - more so than club level as when you make an international squad i think the ego only gets bgger.  I'm not sure that Bruce is cut out to deal with that but neither is Southgate.  Big Sam would deal with the ego's I think he has that air of authority, but the football would be turgid. 

A foreigner is ruled out imo given what has happened before with them at the helm.  (Unless it was someone previously experienced in the English game)

So the list becomes pretty short, in my mind at least.  Especially if I was going English, as I'm not so sure there is a talent pool bg enough to chose from. 

Names that I think would do a good job include Rafa, Tinkerman, Billic.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 29, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »

Would big Sam be so bad?  If we accept we don't have a world beating squad (and aren't likely to in the future) you'd expect him to organise them well, play them in their correct positions and make sensible choices.  I reckon he'd be nailed on to get us to Quarter Finals which would seem acceptable for where we are right now.  Hodgson just looked completely lost, changing his mind from one moment to the next.  I doubt you'd get that with Allardyce.
nellberg

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 29, 2016, 09:55:42 AM »

Looking down the names on English managers at the head of the bookies market, none of them inspire me. Southgate at 6/4 fav makes me want to puke. I doubt he'd come, given West Ham are going well and they've just moved to the Olympic stadium etc, but he should at least be having a crack at getting Bilic. Experience of being an international manager, experience of the premier league and (judging by his punditry on ITV) a great tactical thinker.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 29, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »

Would big Sam be so bad?  If we accept we don't have a world beating squad (and aren't likely to in the future) you'd expect him to organise them well, play them in their correct positions and make sensible choices.  I reckon he'd be nailed on to get us to Quarter Finals which would seem acceptable for where we are right now.  Hodgson just looked completely lost, changing his mind from one moment to the next.  I doubt you'd get that with Allardyce.

Yes. Big Sam would be so bad.

"If we accept we don't have a world beating squad" - why do we have to accept that?

Before the tournament they were being talked up as a "golden generation". 4 games doesn't suddenly make them bad players. Alli, Kane, Dier, Barkley, Sturridge, Stones, Smalling, Butland etc all have limitless upside. Just need a schedule which produces fit and fresh players when the big tournaments start. And a manager who can devise a formation and tactics which gets the best from them.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:24:49 AM by The Camel » Logged

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 29, 2016, 11:33:17 AM »

Would big Sam be so bad?  If we accept we don't have a world beating squad (and aren't likely to in the future) you'd expect him to organise them well, play them in their correct positions and make sensible choices.  I reckon he'd be nailed on to get us to Quarter Finals which would seem acceptable for where we are right now.  Hodgson just looked completely lost, changing his mind from one moment to the next.  I doubt you'd get that with Allardyce.

"If we accept we don't have a world beating squad" - why do we have to accept that?

Before the tournament they were being talked up as a "golden generation". 4 games doesn't suddenly make them bad players. Alli, Kane, Dier, Barkley, Sturridge, Stones, Smalling, Butland etc all have limitless upside. Just need a schedule which produces fit and fresh players when the big tournaments start. And a manager who can devise a formation and tactics which gets the best from them.

I think you are over rating them.  There is a reason why historically English players rarely end up playing for Bayern/Barca/Madrid.   We are a mid tier international side which occasionally gets a good batch of players (and I certainly don't mean this lot compared to other squads we have had) - I think if we accepted that we'd be in a better position to get the best out of them rather than telling them they are world beaters.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 29, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »

we try to play an expansive style when really our player base, quality wise, suits something much more compact.

against Iceland Rooney was trying to do his impersonation of Iniesta, only hardly found a pass all night.

as it happens i don't think we have the back four to play a "solid" style at the moment either.

i do think they should look closely at ranieri. wouldn't take him long to get them playing a consistent style and picking the right players for it

a few player egos would have to pipe down to get them to play non-possession based, fast breaking football though...

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 29, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »

I think you are over rating them.  There is a reason why historically English players rarely end up playing for Bayern/Barca/Madrid.   We are a mid tier international side which occasionally gets a good batch of players (and I certainly don't mean this lot compared to other squads we have had) - I think if we accepted that we'd be in a better position to get the best out of them rather than telling them they are world beaters.

Tottenham were clearly, and by some margin, the best team in the Premier League for the second half of last season.

And all their key players (apart from Eriksen) are English.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 29, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »

Tottenham were clearly, and by some margin, the best team in the Premier League for the second half of last season.

That's true - but everyone kept telling us what a poor league it was last season.  Half a season does not make a team of world champs.  This batch has potential, but at the moment at international level it's bang average imo.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »

Would big Sam be so bad?  If we accept we don't have a world beating squad (and aren't likely to in the future) you'd expect him to organise them well, play them in their correct positions and make sensible choices.  I reckon he'd be nailed on to get us to Quarter Finals which would seem acceptable for where we are right now.  Hodgson just looked completely lost, changing his mind from one moment to the next.  I doubt you'd get that with Allardyce.

not true

since 30.12.15 leicester won 42 points, Spurs 35

on the second point, the key creative player is eriksen.

take him out, as we see, and the spurs players are nowhere near as effective

same as it is for mahrez, ozil, sanchez, kdb, silva etc

the english players in those teams are simply less effective without the overseas creative players making space, the right passes

we play a style that assumes england can create as the PL overseas players can do. we can't

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: