blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 354102 times)
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: March 20, 2020, 06:31:49 PM »

It's interesting watching Boris here - this is the most serious announcement he's had to make in his political career, yet he is still utterly incapable of gravitas - still bumbling, lots of 'er, er, look here now'.

If you are focussing on his deliver right now, you need to have a word with yourself.

These are massive commitments for a government of any colour, I think it was along the lines of what John McDonnell was asking for.

He is the PM - one of his key responsibilities in a time of national crisis is to act as an inspiration for people - be someone who calms the nation and makes people think 'everything's going to be ok, because this guy is calling the shots'

Being his usual bumbling self does not do this, giving the impression of someone who is making decisions eventually, after a week of being told that not enough is being done - he is failing a key part of the job.

I watched the press conference. His style can often look like he is playing the clown but he looked pretty sober and serious to me.

Whether you like him or not, he does have charisma that is lacking in previous leaders like May.

I don’t think anyone (other than the likes of you and momentum nut jobs) can criticise him today.

I notice that you didn’t criticise the policy announcement which was a massive financial commitment to help ordinary workers.

Your comments look petty and ill judged at a time like this.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 20, 2020, 06:35:50 PM »

It's interesting watching Boris here - this is the most serious announcement he's had to make in his political career, yet he is still utterly incapable of gravitas - still bumbling, lots of 'er, er, look here now'.

If you are focussing on his deliver right now, you need to have a word with yourself.

These are massive commitments for a government of any colour, I think it was along the lines of what John McDonnell was asking for.

He is the PM - one of his key responsibilities in a time of national crisis is to act as an inspiration for people - be someone who calms the nation and makes people think 'everything's going to be ok, because this guy is calling the shots'

Being his usual bumbling self does not do this, giving the impression of someone who is making decisions eventually, after a week of being told that not enough is being done - he is failing a key part of the job.

I watched the press conference. His style can often look like he is playing the clown but he looked pretty sober and serious to me.

Whether you like him or not, he does have charisma that is lacking in previous leaders like May.

I don’t think anyone (other than the likes of you and momentum nut jobs) can criticise him today.

I notice that you didn’t criticise the policy announcement which was a massive financial commitment to help ordinary workers.

Spot on! Truth is we all knew there would be those nut jobs that couldn’t help themselves!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:38:36 PM by Woodsey » Logged
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 20, 2020, 06:48:19 PM »

Rishi comes across as confident and a very effect orator which is what you
need in a crisis.

Boris is Boris . He maybe a week or two behind policy wise but again his
positivity is what is required to reassure the public.

You contrast the calm manner of our press conferences with Boris ticking
off each reporter for a question to the fiasco of a scrum of shouting press
in America trying to get answers from a completely corrupt leadership.

Think Rishi might be destined for greater things.
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 20, 2020, 06:56:39 PM »

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/media/trump-rant-at-nbc-news-peter-alexander/index.html

When the USA wants reassurance his response is to attack the guy asking a perfectly
reasonable question.

He is really irritating me , really .
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2020, 06:59:07 PM »

'He has more charisma than Theresa May' is not the strongest of endorsements for Boris.

The financial policy announcements as they are are fine - they still don't do much for people who are self-employed or for people who are renting - but are a good start. They are also far more in line with an economic policy that would be suggested by a chancellor who was a 'momentum nut job'. Glad to hear you're seeing the light Rick - keep the red flag flying high.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 20, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »

hey i no fan of boris, jezza or nicola but when i hear nicola in her conference agreeing with how boris is handling things then i am happy
can't get them to agree on anything normally

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 20, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »

This is a re-run of old arguments.

Can't find fault with Boris' handling of this crisis in terms of the overall arc - it's good that he's flexible and able to move quickly with changing circs rather than get hung up on 'process'. It's to his credit that he's promoted someone who appears as competent as Sunak to work and present alongside him.

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 20, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »

hey i no fan of boris, jezza or nicola but when i hear nicola in her conference agreeing with how boris is handling things then i am happy
can't get them to agree on anything normally

What’s more worrying is that you are a Jimmy Krankie supporter!  
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 20, 2020, 07:18:04 PM »

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/media/trump-rant-at-nbc-news-peter-alexander/index.html

When the USA wants reassurance his response is to attack the guy asking a perfectly
reasonable question.

Jeez, the man is deranged. I genuinely think he is mentally unwell.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 20, 2020, 07:21:57 PM »

I've seen a few comments about Boris's delivery and demeanour in these press conferences - I've generally just waited for text updates, but if this is typical of them I really don't understand what the criticism is about.

Boris isn't going to suddenly change his diction, style, stance and delivery; he might not be the orator he'd want to be but he seems like a perfectly capable leader in these press conferences to me (if this is typical of the other ones).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 20, 2020, 07:27:15 PM »

First dog dies of virus second case confirmed...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8134865/Second-dog-tests-positive-coronavirus-Hong-Kong.html

From what I'm reading a dog died that happened to have the virus. It doesn't say that the virus was the direct cause.

"The AFCD said the dog's owner wasn't willing to allow an autopsy to determine the cause of death but some have suggested the stress of quarantine and the separation from its owner may have contributed."

It had the virus and was understandably quarantined. It was a 17 year old Pomeranian, these have an average lifespan of 12 to 16 years.

Looks like something to be taken seriously but certainly not worry about until more research has been carried out.

All the medical vet people have clearly said that it's a coincidence and it's not connected.

It is very hard for a virus to infect more than one species - that's why these zoonotic diseases happen occasionally, but not frequently. The chances of a virus being able to infect a bat, a human and a dog aren't zero but it's pretty small.

In terms of the test - if the owner sneezed and the dog ingested some of the virus, it could test positive for the virus in it's blood - that's not the same as it being infected with the virus.

It's not impossible - but the probability is pretty one sided.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 20, 2020, 07:32:06 PM »

New announcement.....

All British Citizens will be entitled to £100 pound a day to stay at home to avoid spread of COVID-19 starting from March 23, 2020. The Government grant pay is accessible to all no matter employment status. Read full article here on how to claim:

https://external-preview.redd.it/vxPXEGgL4v8mCGw06IFGsmJNtqWQg-z60xQQ79dHKPY.jpg?auto=webp&s=db7685262e9b352a4888e547f52a244e2ea2cb9f
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 20, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »

reasonable question.

Jeez, the man is deranged. I genuinely think he is mentally unwell.

Awful to see this go unchallenged by the other people present

sola virtus nobilitat
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 20, 2020, 07:49:50 PM »

'He has more charisma than Theresa May' is not the strongest of endorsements for Boris.

The financial policy announcements as they are are fine - they still don't do much for people who are self-employed or for people who are renting - but are a good start. They are also far more in line with an economic policy that would be suggested by a chancellor who was a 'momentum nut job'. Glad to hear you're seeing the light Rick - keep the red flag flying high.

Well I did smile.

I suppose extreme circumstances need extreme actions, unfortunately McDonnell thinks extreme actions in normal economic times are acceptable.

I saw McDonnell suggesting this policy this morning, so I thought he’d be happy.

A friend just texted me to say McDonnell is now moaning that it’s not enough and they should be doing more to stimulate the economy (haven’t seen it personally). It’s pretty hard to do that when everyone is sat at home ffs.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 20, 2020, 08:11:54 PM »

I'm not a Boris fan but I think he's done a very decent job of leading despite the odd "err and umm", which seem to be part of his character.

I did actually Tweet some words to this effect a few days ago and my opinion hasn't changed.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: