blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 356566 times)
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: June 10, 2020, 05:14:31 PM »

I'm very critical of the governments response but I smell a big whiff of Aftertime Ansell in his comments
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: June 10, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »

I'm very critical of the governments response but I smell a big whiff of Aftertime Ansell in his comments

He might be talking through his wallet so to speak but its hard to argue the govt's two biggest fuck ups were the initial delay in the lockdown (cheltenham/liverpool v madrid week) and the carrnage in care homes that they didn't think through at all.    Building the hospitals now they did in days seems to appear to be too much protection of the nhs rather than worry about priivate care homes. 
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: June 10, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »

I don't think it is.   The doubling every 3 days was known very early.  You can definitely make a case that lockdown was effectively happening before the announcements, some pubs/restaurants, many offices had effectively shut and many parents had withdrawn their kids from school before they were told to. 

So it is debatable how much extra lockdown would have happened.   So I'd say half the deaths by now is probably about right, rather than at least half.   But given we don't know the endgame, it is hard to say if they would have been saved or if we would have just delayed then until wave 2/3. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: June 10, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »

"Support bubbles" being presented as "targeted intervention" to help the lonely in single adult households

This is because original plan to let two households of any size unite was projected to put R above one so had to be watered down, so the suggestion goes.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: June 10, 2020, 07:08:26 PM »

Only trouble is with all this support bubbles and other ideas now. After the events of the last month, most people are thinking like Stormzy was in Vossi Bop.

neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2765 on: June 10, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »

This is interesting.
'Coronavirus was brought into the UK on at least 1,300 separate occasions, a major analysis of the genetics of the virus shows.
The study estimates 80% of those initial cases arrived in the country between 28 Feb and 29 March - the time the UK was debating whether to lockdown.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52993734

Although it was really the 11th of March to the 23rd March when the debate was really happening (IIRC).

I haven't looked back at the news reports from then but I don't think there was any real option of a complete lockdown until after the 11th March.

It would be handy if they could narrow those dates down a bit more. If 600 of them came in before the 11th and a few hundred came in after the 23rd that would suggest the exact date of the lockdown made very little difference.

I think we were discussing it here from 15th to 23rd March(ish), the scientists say they were discussing it from mid Feb(ish).

https://virological.org/t/preliminary-analysis-of-sars-cov-2-importation-establishment-of-uk-transmission-lineages/507

From that paper - “The volume of inbound travel (20,000 inbound passengers per day from Spain in mid-March) shows that individual events, such as football matches, likely made a negligible contribution to the overall number of imports at that time. ”

The 3000 Liverpool v Athletico fans from Spain were only 1.5% of the travellers from Spain in the first 3 weeks in March.

I am looking forward to the newspaper headlines tomorrow.   

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: June 10, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »

I don't think it is.   The doubling every 3 days was known very early.  You can definitely make a case that lockdown was effectively happening before the announcements, some pubs/restaurants, many offices had effectively shut and many parents had withdrawn their kids from school before they were told to. 

So it is debatable how much extra lockdown would have happened.   So I'd say half the deaths by now is probably about right, rather than at least half.   But given we don't know the endgame, it is hard to say if they would have been saved or if we would have just delayed then until wave 2/3. 

I did some maths on the numbers.

From when the lockdown was introduced (roughly speaking) the number of infections doubled 6 times followed by roughly a 50% increase.

If you did 6 doubles plus a 50% from the 16th instead you end up with very close to 50% of the current infection number.

To be honest that's so close to what Professor Ferguson said that I think he has just calculated it mathematically on the assumption exactly the same thing would happen if you implemented it on the 16th as happened on the 23rd.

I think the big, big problem with that is the government support.

We had about 85% of people abiding by lockdown rules - if a full lockdown was introduced a week earlier, would all the same support have been in place? I could definitely see a much lower number than 85% if the furlough scheme hadn't been in place (to take one example).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2767 on: June 10, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: June 10, 2020, 08:28:17 PM »

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: June 12, 2020, 09:21:01 AM »

Good morning all

The Telegraph is late to the ‘Dipshit Double’ conversation:
(I want to say ‘better late than never’ but that saying doesn’t do well in a pandemic)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/06/12/britain-ship-fools-heading-rocks/

jakally

View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: June 14, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »

A good news story from the difficult environment of care homes (I am sure there are many others that have taken a similar strategy).

Concerning that the care home guy mentions 18th March & Easter (2nd week April) as times he made key decisions but seems to say that there was no official guidance to inform this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvWQZxADiCI&feature=push-sd&attr_tag=gqaOpt8XW3LHAXCq%3A6

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: June 18, 2020, 11:51:16 PM »

Douglas carswell, such a hero. I'd give it a few more months than him but eventually we'll wonder wtf we did

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1273740991720284160?s=19

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: June 19, 2020, 12:19:09 AM »

Douglas carswell, such a hero. I'd give it a few more months than him but eventually we'll wonder wtf we did

He and Daniel Hannan really do live in a weird fantasy. Why would anyone want to depart from the view that a very late and very lite lockdown has  delivered a worst of all worlds outcome?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: June 19, 2020, 09:17:07 AM »

He and Daniel Hannan really do live in a weird fantasy. Why would anyone want to depart from the view that a very late and very lite lockdown has  delivered a worst of all worlds outcome?

Confirmed, Hannan also a hero

sola virtus nobilitat
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: June 19, 2020, 09:55:38 AM »

Meanwhile the death toll will have inched ever nearer 100,000.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: