blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:38:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353998 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3225 on: October 19, 2020, 09:09:46 PM »

Ireland's government has agreed to return the country to the highest level of coronavirus restrictions for six weeks from midnight on Wednesday. So Irish politicians’ defiance of scientific advisers last 10 days. Let’s see how long Mr Johnson holds put.

It also means I’m going to have to get up early tomorrow to get to the barbers when they open as it’ll be my last chance of a haircut till nearly Christmas.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: October 20, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »

Here is Covid-19 positive cases, numbers in hospital and deaths on one chart - they follow one another with a lag.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: October 20, 2020, 10:36:14 AM »

or

At times, it seems that No10 is designing Covid policy based on worse-case scenarios rather than facts on the ground. My blog on the data, and NHS performance

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-likely-is-the-nhs-to-be-overwhelmed-by-covid-

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: October 20, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »

an interesting read, agree or not, about “errors” by Sage —

Error 1: Assuming 100% of the population was susceptible to the virus

Error 2: The belief that the percentage of the population that has been infected can be determined by finding out who has antibodies.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/what-sage-got-wrong/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: October 20, 2020, 03:47:32 PM »

Greater Manchester will be placed under stricter coronavirus controls after talks between the Government and civic leaders concluded without an agreement

Does the absence of an agreement (all over +/-£5m apparently on a £60m payment) make any difference to compliance with the measures or not?

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: October 20, 2020, 03:55:35 PM »

Greater Manchester will be placed under stricter coronavirus controls after talks between the Government and civic leaders concluded without an agreement

Does the absence of an agreement (all over +/-£5m apparently on a £60m payment) make any difference to compliance with the measures or not?

Seems to me that both the Government and Burnham are playing political games whilst intensive care units start to get filled. This could have been sorted a week ago.

Not a surprise that the bigger the ego’s the more they both dig their heels in.

No one comes out of this with any credit.

And if Manchester now get less than £60m Burnham will look a bit of a pillock.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: October 20, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »

Seems to me that both the Government and Burnham are playing political games whilst intensive care units start to get filled. This could have been sorted a week ago.

See I don't get this point of view. This isn't a game that the govt/Burnham have won or lost. It's about supporting people. Give them the fucking money.

If businesses are forced to close, or people can't afford to put food on the table, etc, etc, then I hardly think the govt can respond "well we'd have given you the money but Burnham wanted more so we decided to give you less instead. Blame him."

Actually no. That's exactly what is going to happen isn't it?

Blue text
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: October 20, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »

See I don't get this point of view. This isn't a game that the govt/Burnham have won or lost. It's about supporting people. Give them the fucking money.

If businesses are forced to close, or people can't afford to put food on the table, etc, etc, then I hardly think the govt can respond "well we'd have given you the money but Burnham wanted more so we decided to give you less instead. Blame him."

There is a balance to be struck in everything that happens, particularly when the Government have made payments to other councils/area’s.

“Give them the fucking money” is emotive nonsense.

And unfortunately if you don’t believe politicians (on all sides) have a personal and political agenda/ego then you are very naive.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:23:20 PM by RickBFA » Logged
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: October 20, 2020, 05:24:30 PM »

Seems like a political own goal to offer 60m in negotiations and then only give 22m when the negotiations breakdown. This is a bad look.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: October 20, 2020, 05:49:05 PM »

Boris really didn't have a clue how much money he is prepared to give Greater Manchester. That press conf was toe curdling.

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: October 20, 2020, 05:55:38 PM »

Agree - even if the Govt decides to stop discussions and insist on Tier 3 I cannot think of any good reason not to give the money as per whatever the last offer was. Will rebound badly on the Govt for sure

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: October 21, 2020, 11:10:48 AM »

South Yorkshire to move into tier 3 from Saturday

(they did a deal on the money)

The new restrictions will apply to all four local authority areas in South Yorkshire - Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54627017

My eyes are open wide
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: October 21, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »

Before long the entire North will be in tier 3.

Nice North/South divide once more.

Blue text
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: October 21, 2020, 11:36:32 AM »

really good

Will coronavirus break the UK?

Covid-19 has already driven a greater wedge between the four nations, testing the boundaries of power. But could it push them even further apart?

https://www.ft.com/content/05bcdeed-ce2d-4009-a3bc-cf9bb71c43d5?shareType=nongift

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: October 21, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »

Agree - even if the Govt decides to stop discussions and insist on Tier 3 I cannot think of any good reason not to give the money as per whatever the last offer was. Will rebound badly on the Govt for sure

It appears they have climbed down, Johnson has just announced £60m in Parliament.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: