blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 286 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 353697 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4215 on: May 18, 2021, 06:23:50 PM »

Understand it needs to be tracked and makes sense to be open. Pretty clear already that it doesn't evade the efficacy of vaccines.

Unfortunately, transparency equals a rationale for alarm amongst the ninnies.

I'm made of sterner stuff and first placards ready for June 21st. Decided to march left out of my house as if I go right I'll have to go downhill and it's a bugger walking back up again.

Surely there is a boozer on the way down the hill, and you can just call a cab to pick you up after a few lively ones?

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: May 18, 2021, 06:50:08 PM »

Understand it needs to be tracked and makes sense to be open. Pretty clear already that it doesn't evade the efficacy of vaccines.

I'm made of sterner stuff and first placards ready for June 21st. Decided to march left out of my house as if I go right I'll have to go downhill and it's a bugger walking back up again.

Surely there is a boozer on the way down the hill, and you can just call a cab to pick you up after a few lively ones?

Spoons at the bottom of the hill so could go and join a few merrymakers, hand out placards, will re-consider.

Only got a taxi once from the bottom of hill to the top of the hill, quite a long time ago pre Uber. Was with an Americanised english mate who didn't walk anywhere - about a minute in the car but it is a steep hill - anyway, no lie, the driver was mute so when we started getting dosh out and said 'can you stop here?' his response, though loud, was quite muffled

sola virtus nobilitat
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: May 18, 2021, 07:55:52 PM »

Graphs in the paper show its out of control already Marky you big denier! Cheesy

Very different kind of protest by those that like to turn left!

Hoping to see a few placards myself in a few weeks, one of them being 'Hopkin' after we've collected our bags!  Grin Grin

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: May 18, 2021, 08:07:24 PM »

Has the pandemic cost the UK government as much as they spent to bail out the banks in 2008?

Probably hard to say precisely but roughly speaking is it even close?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: May 18, 2021, 08:42:47 PM »

Graphs in the paper show its out of control already Marky you big denier! Cheesy

Very different kind of protest by those that like to turn left!

Hoping to see a few placards myself in a few weeks, one of them being 'Hopkin' after we've collected our bags!  Grin Grin

What paper? Daily Sport? Cheesy

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: May 18, 2021, 08:43:10 PM »

Spoons at the bottom of the hill so could go and join a few merrymakers, hand out placards, will re-consider.

Only got a taxi once from the bottom of hill to the top of the hill, quite a long time ago pre Uber. Was with an Americanised english mate who didn't walk anywhere - about a minute in the car but it is a steep hill - anyway, no lie, the driver was mute so when we started getting dosh out and said 'can you stop here?' his response, though loud, was quite muffled

Some cabbies you'd be glad if they kept their beak shut Grin

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: May 18, 2021, 10:01:13 PM »

Has the pandemic cost the UK government as much as they spent to bail out the banks in 2008?

Probably hard to say precisely but roughly speaking is it even close?

There are sets of wildly different figures for both

There are estimates of well over a trillion pounds for the banking crises - but that's basically idiotic. A trillion pounds worth of guarantees was provided by the government - but that's just a guarantee against a bank failing for example.

So when there are estimates which say £1.2 trillion (for example) - that actually means the government spend was more like £200bn (£0.2tn)

A journalist from the Guardian dug into it in 2011 and came up with a figure of £123bn - but that should come down by now as the shares in banks the government bought were generally sold for a profit (even if they weren't some money was recouped but from what I remember the reports were that they made a profit on them).

Reports of the costs of government spending on COVID vary a lot as well I've seen figures between £200bn and £400bn. £300bn and a bit seems a fairly consistent estimate - the national audit office gives the figure as £372bn

The NAO figure also includes figures for guarantees - but unlike the banks these might actually get paid out - a particularly relevant figure from the NAO is that the government have already spent £172bn

All in all it seems pretty likely that the COVID cost is going to be far higher than the 2008 cost.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: May 18, 2021, 10:21:58 PM »

All this talk of concern about the Indian variant surging isn't really showing in the daily case numbers?

Click to see full-size image.

Has to be a concern, because the evidence isn't clear as to how much more transmissible it is, and easier to err on the side of caution, even if some muppets like to go bananas with that.

There'll be a bit of a lag, I think. Should hopefully be a bump, rather than a surge.

Doobs will be more able to tell you how far off my summary is, though.

Seems about right.  

The proportion of Indian variant cases is increasing fairly rapidly, so that is some evidence that it could be more transmissable.  

The overall cases are still fairly flat, so that is evidence that it isn't. Smiley

I think things will be a bit clearer if the Indian variant becomes a more significant proportion of cases (I think it is about 20% or so, and was only 10% a few days ago from memory).  

I think it is right to be a bit cautious... but we have some time before the next change in restrictions... so there is no need to make hasty decisions... and no need to brief Peston that there is zero chance of re-opening.  

I am assuming that it is going to be OK for us to have a UK holiday in August.  My niece has a bigger sweat, her delayed wedding is now in a couple of months.  Don't think step 3 rukes are too bad, but it isn't my wedding.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: May 18, 2021, 10:43:46 PM »

It's the inconsistency and news made of things like this that really winds me up like a tightly coiled spring that could snap at very slight load bearing.

Shirley caution would be slow things down right now because you have a serious concern, not looking for a camera to wring your hands in front of and say how cautious we must be. 

Fkn wallopers, it's so infantilising, has been throughout and no sign of any change.

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: May 18, 2021, 11:08:03 PM »

Got to get your news from people with no dog in the fight, and not chasing clicks.

I only get numbers from Twitter, and then unavoidably pick up some chaff from the web as I browse through the day.

Few guys posted in here are obv in a similar avenue of work to Doobs, and great at modelling/breaking down things so even a mug like me can make half a bit of sense out of it.

No need to turn green and start beating your chest yet, as we're going to be ok, Glenn Wink

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: May 18, 2021, 11:09:38 PM »

FWIW, I think we'll be alright for most of the world holidays by summer, other than places still slow on the old vaccine front, obv.

There was a hearing today chaired by a Nevada senator, with a bunch of others from the US, regarding travel. From what I can make out, the biggest noise was get International travel back, that's what they need to get things moving properly again.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: May 18, 2021, 11:26:18 PM »

Got to get your news from people with no dog in the fight, and not chasing clicks.

I only get numbers from Twitter, and then unavoidably pick up some chaff from the web as I browse through the day.

Few guys posted in here are obv in a similar avenue of work to Doobs, and great at modelling/breaking down things so even a mug like me can make half a bit of sense out of it.

No need to turn green and start beating your chest yet, as we're going to be ok, Glenn Wink

It's the words straight out of the mouths of MP's of all parties, but the Govt in particular, and Sage that are gonna cause an aneurysm - the ninnies and deniers don't really bother me. I knew I and all my family were going to be OK from the outset as long as we stayed out of hospital and none of us are quite ready for a care home yet.

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: May 18, 2021, 11:29:56 PM »

It's the words straight out of the mouths of MP's of all parties, but the Govt in particular, and Sage that are gonna cause an aneurysm - the ninnies and deniers don't really bother me. I knew I and all my family were going to be OK from the outset as long as we stayed out of hospital and none of us are quite ready for a care home yet.

I get zero of mine from any of them, which definitely helps me be such a cool, calm, and collected chap  Cool

These modellers and maths guys on Twitter really are superb, and you throw a little bit of 'Mac n' Chise' (Moderna Molecular Biologist) on top, and you're golden.

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap

https://twitter.com/JamesWard73

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout  (Mac n' Chise)

Even just those four will have you in a much better mood throughout the day.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: May 19, 2021, 01:35:44 AM »

New page that has been put together to track everything https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Nice having it all in one place.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: May 19, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »

Is the data available for;

New cases who have been vaccinated?
New cases by age?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 286 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: