blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:14:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 731 732 [733] 734 735 736 737 ... 2343 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3610264 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10980 on: January 19, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »

I've only really read about problems involved with crash dieting related to health problems.

It's not uncommon for actors to have to do it to meet the demand for particular roles, but they have nutritionists to help them work it out. When people go on unsupervised crash diets they can make themselves ill.

Intuitively it half makes sense that it's harder to keep weight off after a crash diet though because it's a lot easier to keep to an extreme diet for a brief period of time than it is to alter your lifestyle to make it unnecessary for you to have to do it in the first place

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: January 19, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »

I've only really read about problems involved with crash dieting related to health problems.

It's not uncommon for actors to have to do it to meet the demand for particular roles, but they have nutritionists to help them work it out. When people go on unsupervised crash diets they can make themselves ill.

Intuitively it half makes sense that it's harder to keep weight off after a crash diet though because it's a lot easier to keep to an extreme diet for a brief period of time than it is to alter your lifestyle to make it unnecessary for you to have to do it in the first place

so if i lost a stone or so in a few weeks on, say, a slim fast diet, there's no reason I couldn't keep the weight off as easily as if i dropped a pound a week just by cutting out the chocs and biccies?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: January 19, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »

so if i lost a stone or so in a few weeks on, say, a slim fast diet, there's no reason I couldn't keep the weight off as easily as if i dropped a pound a week just by cutting out the chocs and biccies?

I think so, I don't think it's a physiological problem in other words.

Crash dieting might have a short term affect on your metabolism, but I don't think it's something that would have a longer term effect if you just eat healthily afterwards.

I think it's mainly a psychological problem - if you could keep the weight off by cutting out the treats and eating healthily - you wouldn't need to crash diet in the first place

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10983 on: January 19, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »

Out of interest Tom how far back can you trace your history and where did your ancestors originate from?

I can only trace my history back a few generations. This is the same for most Gypsies, and there are several reasons.

Until recently, we were mostly illiterate. We don't get counted on the census, (This will change for the first time in history this year). Sometimes births were not recorded, and whole families changed their names (Not by deed poll) to avoid things like arrest warrants, or just to enhance anonymity.

We are originally from northern India, which we left for Persia sometime around the 900s. Then made our way northward and westward, and are recorded as first appearing in Europe in the 1500s.

The older I get, the better I was.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »

I think so, I don't think it's a physiological problem in other words.

Crash dieting might have a short term affect on your metabolism, but I don't think it's something that would have a longer term effect if you just eat healthily afterwards.

I think it's mainly a psychological problem - if you could keep the weight off by cutting out the treats and eating healthily - you wouldn't need to crash diet in the first place

no plans to keep the weight off by cutting out the treats - put it back on and lose it again, ldo.  it does tend to go back on fairly slowly tho.  I might test crash dieting and see how long it takes to go back on.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10985 on: January 19, 2011, 10:02:54 PM »

why are you exorcising first thing?  do you have a ghost?

Exercising. <Swears under breath>

Well spotted Claire, proves you're reading my posts properly and not just skimming.

I used to think Tony just skimmed my posts, but if I make the tiniest mistake, he PM's me about it.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »

imo a good general rule is that with the exception of eating less= weight loss pretty much anything you read about dieting is likely to be a load of bollocks. people just don't understand it, make stuff up or carry out experiments with poor sample sizes then publish their findings and then a while later someone else debunks it

it's a great business to be in with little or no knowledge as there's no need to be qualified in any way so people just come out with any old nonsense

you instinctively know what's good and bad for you, go with the feeling

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: January 19, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »

Out of interest Tom how far back can you trace your history and where did your ancestors originate from?

I can only trace my history back a few generations. This is the same for most Gypsies, and there are several reasons.

Until recently, we were mostly illiterate. We don't get counted on the census, (This will change for the first time in history this year). Sometimes births were not recorded, and whole families changed their names (Not by deed poll) to avoid things like arrest warrants, or just to enhance anonymity.

We are originally from northern India, which we left for Persia sometime around the 900s. Then made our way northward and westward, and are recorded as first appearing in Europe in the 1500s.

Thanks Tom, I can understand the dificulty in tracing back your ancestors. Don't know why but just kind of assumed that as the Gypsy community seems to be close knit that you would be able to go back pretty much further.
I can honestly say that I dont have a clue how far I could go back I only the know the name of one of my great grandparents. Not even sure how far records would go back in Cyprus.

Just a thought but as Alexander the Great went as far as India you may even have some Greek in you. lol

As an aside, I once got bitten by an Irish traveller.

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10988 on: January 19, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »

Thanks Tom, I can understand the dificulty in tracing back your ancestors. Don't know why but just kind of assumed that as the Gypsy community seems to be close knit that you would be able to go back pretty much further.
I can honestly say that I dont have a clue how far I could go back I only the know the name of one of my great grandparents. Not even sure how far records would go back in Cyprus.

Just a thought but as Alexander the Great went as far as India you may even have some Greek in you. lol

I have lots of anecdotal / oral history Andrew, but not much documented.

Now, more on the aside please....

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: January 19, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »

I have lots of anecdotal / oral history Andrew, but not much documented.

Now, more on the aside please....

Back in the late 80's I was working in a Chippy in Walsall when an Irish Traveller came in for some food. He looked about 25.
Once served he started picking a fight with a young kid, about 12 yo, who'd just walked into the shop. The kid was petrified so I stepped in to calm down the situation.
Unfortunately the Traveller took exception to my interference and threw a punch at me which I managed to dodge. So I grabbed him around the neck and preceded to throw him out the shop.
As I held him he bit my arm and drew blood got free and smashed the window in the door.
Well, as a fit hotheaded and quite strong youngster I ended up brawling in the street. I was knackered but fortunately got the better of him.
When the police came I was actually sitting on top throwing a punch. The funny thing was the police pulled me off him and arrested him. He was a known trouble maker.

This all happened at 4 O'clock on a Wednesday afternoon. I received a phonecall later on stating that his Traveller friends were going to come and do me over but thankfully nobody ever showed up.
I had to have a Tetanus jab.lol

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10990 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »

Resisting the obvious "Got battered" jokes.

"I had to have a Tetanus jab.lol"

My uncle Dennis got bitten on the thumb once during a fight. He refused to go to hospital, and it became infected.

It swelled up like a balloon. He almost lost his entire hand.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: January 19, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »

Well spotted Claire, proves you're reading my posts properly and not just skimming.

I used to think Tony just skimmed my posts, but if I make the tiniest mistake, he PM's me about it.

I let go a purler by you yesterday morning Tom!

It was a beautiful Post, & it was only the smallest mistake you maid

I planned to drop you a note, then realised I owed you, like, 4 PM replies, so I bottled it.

I'm so bad. I spot the smallest spelling error or typo in anyone's Post, instantly, but seem to be "blind" to my own these days. It's an embarrassment.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:03:43 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »

Resisting the obvious "Got battered" jokes.

"I had to have a Tetanus jab.lol"

My uncle Dennis got bitten on the thumb once during a fight. He refused to go to hospital, and it became infected.

It swelled up like a balloon. He almost lost his entire hand.

My father in law, who was a doctor, insisted I needed the jab after explaining how much bacteria was in the human mouth.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10993 on: January 19, 2011, 11:15:05 PM »

I planned to drop you a note, then realised I owed you, like, 4 PM replies, so I bottled it.

I'm so bad. I spot the smallest spelling error or typo in anyone's Post, instantly, but seem to be "blind" to my own these days. It's an embarrassment.

Well at least no one else spotted it.

You still owe me those replies.

BTW- You should see the PM's I didn't send....

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:14 PM »

Well at least no one else spotted it.

You still owe me those replies.

BTW- You should see the PM's I didn't send....

I know, I don't know whether to work from the top of the pile or the bottom! Luckily, you of all people understand.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:35:21 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 731 732 [733] 734 735 736 737 ... 2343 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: