blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:32:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 ... 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 176614 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: February 18, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »

Top trip report Laxie...very good read and good to hear you had a great time.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1201 on: February 18, 2011, 09:13:01 AM »

Top trip report Laxie...very good read and good to hear you had a great time.

+1

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 18, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »

The taxi ride and airport check in went without a hitch.  Well, if you ignore one wee fact.  At security you're to take off yer shoes and put on these blue plastic foot cover thingys.  No problem.  I can manage that.  The trick is to remember to take them off again before putting yer shoes back on.  I wasn't so good with that part.  Feckin' eejit.

Eventually sorted the blue foot thingys (sigh) and made my way to the gate.  Again the herd of passengers rushed gate staff to be first in line.  To board a plane with designated seats.  WTF is that about?!  The elderly were as bad as some of the young ones.  In fact, they were even tougher.  I chalk it up to years of practice on their part.  It was every man, woman and child for themselves and all we were doing was boarding the plane.  We were screwed if it ever crashed.  I sat with me pint and lappy open and this time made damn sure I was the last to board.  Wasn't going to get caught again.

I slept for most of the flight.  Wasn't until the woman behind me started chanting various prayers that I woke and looked out the window.  We were over land again and it was either cloudy or foggy, not sure which but damn sure couldn't see much.  Every now and then the woman behind me would stop mid prayer and say to her mate in a worried voice, "We'll have to divert to Shannon.  Should take maybe an extra 20 minutes.  They can't possibly land here.  I wonder if we have enough fuel to divert.  Oh God."  And back to the prayers she'd go.  Take a chill pill fer feck sake.  I'm on this plane too and my planes don't crash.  She must not have been the only one worrying.  There was a burst of rapturous applause once we landed.  They obviously don't read me diary. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29:34 AM »

Reminders to self -
Tony G v the rest
Jesse tales
Driving
colour
Aviation
Awards
Thank you

Now then...on to this stuff.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 18, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »

Tony G won Poker Personality of the Year beating out Jesse May and Tony Holden?!  Sigh.  Just sigh. 

I guess they don't take into consideration what type of personality you have for that one.  The other two are streaks ahead in the 'class' ranks in my opinion.  Granted, you could easily say I was bias after spending time with them this week-end.  But I assure you...Tony G was never top of my personality list anyway, regardless of who he's up against.  Considering his competition for this one, I was certain it was a two man race.  How wrong I was. 

Have I said "Sigh" yet?  Just in case...sighhhhhhhhhhh.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 18, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »

Some would say I was 'lucky' to only catch one of Marty's long tales.  I'm not sure as I only heard the one, but I quite enjoyed it.  However I was blown away by how much Jesse May remembers from the poker world. 

My god, the man was rambling off tales from years gone by as if it was only yesterday.  I could (and did) sit and listen to him for hours.  And the cool thing about it was he had no problem with ya butting in to ask questions as it went on.  Without missing a beat, he'd incorporate a reply to your question into the tale.  Amazing.

In the past we've only seen each other in passing.  As I said before, I was usually working for whatever poker festival so didn't have time to pick his brain.  And during my off time, didn't want to seem like a poker leach so left him alone.  What a mistake!  He is one of the most approachable people you could ever meet.

So if you ever wanted to say hi when crossing paths with him, don't be shy about it.  He'll probably give you a tale or two while you're there.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 18, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »

Driving

I've driven in a few big cities in my time.  Had no trouble at all driving through NYC and it's boroughs.  Even managed Boston.  Although up to now I always thought they topped my list of most manic for driving.  Well move over Boston...you've been cut down a notch.

If yer ever going to Paris and considering renting a car...DON'T DO IT!!!  They're nuts on the road!  Got to the point where I'd just close me eyes in the taxi as we made our way 'round the Arc de Triumph.  Yeah I know...I was missing one of the great landmarks of Paris, but I had to.  When I kept them open I was sure we were either getting hit or going to hit someone else.  Didn't have time to comfortably look at the Arc with all the worry about the drivers.  Abso madness!

Colour

Don't know why, but I had it in me head Paris was a dark place full of dark buildings.  I'd been once before and all I can remember was everything being dark.  Well it's not true.  They've so many bright beautiful buildings, it's unreal.  Every street is lined with them.  Some have gorgeous paintings on the face of them too.  All in bright pretty colours.  Said it to Mick as we were walking down the road.  Just couldn't understand how I'd messed that one up.  He made a good point without even realising...maybe I was in a dark time in my life back then.  He was right.  So it was a great relief, all things considered, to see so much brightness this trip.

Aviation Club

Well, now that I've a year's membership to the place can't say I'd give a miss to another visit.  Would deffo need to learn a bit more French and try to keep it in the brain next time because it's obvious they prefer it.  That said, once they got to know me and I made whatever lame attempt I could at replies in French - we got on grand.

Beautiful club and the tourneys I played were very well run.  The staff were mostly excellent too.  It's a big place and takes some time to get the bearings, but once ya have yer footing sorted, it's a breeze.  We never got a meal there this trip.  Chinese New Year put a stop to that but the food did look lovely.  So just be sure you book well in advance of that holiday or yer stuffed, but not on their food.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:43:08 AM by Laxie » Logged

Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 18, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »

Great report - loved it! Well done for getting into the Aviation Club. I was refused entry as "the club is only for poker players". FML.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 18, 2011, 10:21:49 AM »

And last, but certainly not least - a jumbo size THANK YOU to Mick for inviting me along!!!  He was such a sweetheart throughout and only for him I never in a month of Sundays would have entertained the idea of making the trip.  I was a bit wary before heading off because I know I'm not the easiest person to deal with at times.  I tend to run around from pillar to post and it's hard to keep track of me.  Didn't want to be an annoyance (burden?) to him and I hope I wasn't.  But ya wouldn't know it if I was...because he handled everything like a trooper.  Yer an abso STAR Mick!!!  Thanks again for everything.  I owe ya a pint or ten next time we meet.  xx

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 18, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »

Great report - loved it! Well done for getting into the Aviation Club. I was refused entry as "the club is only for poker players". FML.

Oh don't worry...they had their doubts about me too.    

The Aviation Club hosts the awards every year and Mick was on the judging panel.  Only for that and a phone call to the top dog there, I reckon they'd have given me the road as well.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 18, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »

Oh yeah!  One more thing I almost forgot...

Poker Awards

There's been some debate around here in the past regarding poker awards.  Many think they're a load of rubbish and reckon a person/group can't possibly take winning one serious.  Well, after spending a goodly bit of time with Gerard and his wife prior to and then after the awards, I can say with hand on heart it meant the world to him. 

He was sooooo nervous prior.  He almost looked defeated before we even got there on Sunday night.  This was his 4th run at the same award and he was up against stiff competition.  He was wishful but not hopeful.  I was gutted for Simon missing out, but to be honest - I was dead chuffed for Gerard at the same time. 

Poker awards might not mean much to many of you, but to at least one man it meant a lot... even if for just a few hours.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 18, 2011, 10:39:29 AM »

Now then, I've got some jobs to do around here before I go picture hunting.  Not housework.  Promise!  More like errands.  Need to renew the driver's license and pay the car tax for a start.  In fact, if I get those two jobs done I'm a happy bunny and can chill the rest of the day.  Hope the rest of you have a good one, whatever yer at!  x

bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 18, 2011, 03:06:34 PM »

Nice report laxie..arc de triomph,it is mental...I hear your car insurance is void in that spot..

I'm curious what have you done in the past pokerwise,jobwise?...mbn

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 18, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »

Nice report laxie..arc de triomph,it is mental...I hear your car insurance is void in that spot..

I'm curious what have you done in the past pokerwise,jobwise?...mbn

Cheers!  I don't blame the insurance crowds for refusing to cover it.  Never in me life seen anything like it.  Was just shy of being on a bumper car ride.  Only differences being we were going faster and my taxis seemed to narrowly miss their opponent each time.

Blimey.  The 'what have I done' list is surprisingly long considering I've spent the most part of the last 15 years being classed as a stay at home mom.

Pokerwise -

2006 - 2007  European reporter on Hold 'Em Radio for Women's Poker info. as well as general Euro poker news.

May 2006 - Tournament Coordinator for one of the (if not the) first big Ladies only Tourney in the UK (Walsall Grosvenor).  That's where I met Lucy Rokach and Malcolm Harwood.  Malcolm got a hop because I'd managed to organise a tourney with added value of flights, hotel and entry to the WSOP Ladies Event for the winner...all for only a £50 buy in.  He'd never heard of me and couldn't figure out how I'd pulled off the added value for the tourney so he wanted to meet me.  

2007 - Organised and basically played role of TD for the first pub Hold Em league in the area.  That was abso comedy.  They were only use to five card stud and were convinced I was making up the rules as I went along.  Burn cards tilted them to the max!  They really were sure I was full of it when they were told they had to burn cards.  

Jan. 2007 - Admin for a site owned by Malcolm.  Got paid and all for it.  Go figure.  lol   but at the time I was a bit annoyed as I reckoned some crowd were trying to take advantage of him.  It caused many a row between us back then and in the end I said, "Malc, yer too old to go to jail and I'm too young but at the rate we're going one of us is going to kill the other.  Time to call it a day before we stop speaking to each other altogether."  We survived it and are still good friends to this day.

Feb. 2007 - Contributing Author for a book called Women's Poker Night.  Was literally a last minute request by the coordinator because one of the pros had failed to submit her chapter.  She'd just informed them she wouldn't be doing it now as she hadn't time and at 11:30pm the call came in.  Any chance I could pump out a chapter by morning?  Ah well, sure...suppose I'll give it a go.  They had it back, proof read and all at 2:30am.  And it was accepted by the editor/publisher for print in the book.  Another 'go figure' moment tbh.  lol

2007 to now - Registration desk, VIP support or whatever I'm needed for during any big local poker festivals.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:18:33 PM by Laxie » Logged

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 18, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »

Otherwise -

1989 to 1996  LOTS of nights bar tending for a few different bars. 

1989 - 1995  During the day I worked for a Jewish company as manager of one of their commercial properties.  I'd work there from 9am - 5pm and be working in the bar from 7pm - 4am.  Or the Four Seasons Restaurant as was the case for my last few years in NYC.

1994 - 1996  Four Seasons Restaurant Hostess.  That was an odd one.  The customers were mainly all obscenely rich, but I treated them like I would anyone else despite being taught to do the whole stuffy routine with them.  It was reported to management by one customer..."I like her.  She's pleasant without being stuffy."  I made the most money in tips as a result and all the other hosts preferred working with me as we had to split our tips.  Was a bit annoying actually.  I'd work me arse off to give the customers a slightly different approach while the rest just sat back and collected off the back of it.  On the plus side, I worked there when I was pregnant with Sinéad.  First time they ever 'allowed' a pregnant woman to be seen in the front of house working.  We normally got some random staff slop thrown out to us for our dinner break, but while I was pregnant the chef let me order right off the menu being handed to the rich folk out front.  Even got dessert!  Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

1998 - 2004 Organised and ran a Youth Club at the local Community Centre on a voluntary basis.

2002 - 2005  Acted in the local Panto show.  They raise money every year for the elderly and handicap groups in the area. 

2005 - the back started to go so I basically quit everything I was at and had the first of two operations to remove dodgy discs.

Also help out in the local pubs as and when they need someone to tend bar or manage them while the owners are on holidays.

That's the lot from once I hit 18.  Before that I'd been a waitress, golf caddy, newspaper delivery girl, cabin counsellor and beginner swimming instructor for a summer camp and babysitter for the town Mayor's grandchildren.

So there ya have it.  Might seem like I'm doing a whole lot of not much now.  But to be fair, I've done a goodly bit throughout the years.

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 ... 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: