blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:10:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 ... 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 177863 times)
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 17, 2011, 03:45:59 PM »

who is Mick?  where did you meet him. k ta.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 17, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »

Night Three - The lol Pokerz

By now I was well comfortable with all the English speaking poker crowd.  Surinder Sunar was there as well and we're already friendly so he introduced me to Freddie Deeb and a few more who I hadn't met yet.  Everyone was giving me pointers on the game I was about to play and basically just telling me to win it.  lol  But I had a feeling playing a game of poker with the ladies, I'd be well outnumbered in the language stakes if nothing else.  

Sure enough...TD announces to the group the number of runners, payouts, and all sorts of other stuff in French.  Then he proceeds to say in English, "Is there anyone in the room who doesn't speak French?"  I sigh raise me hand.  Obviously the only one.  Over he lands to repeat the lot to me in English while the rest sit on and watch.  Marv.  May as well hang a neon sign over me head fer feck sake.  

On the plus side - at least now the women at my table understood why, when they said things to me, I smiled but didn't reply.  I would have done, only after the Spanish oops in the airport I'd trained meself not to utter another word of Spanish while in Paris.  With all the Italian restaurants we'd been to up to that point, I'd started talking in Italian instead...as ya do.  With all the confusion in me head over which fecking language to speak, I totally forgot the wee bit of French I'd been taught.  

As for the poker?  Well, I saw some of THE MOST shocking play...EVER!  It made the local pub poker look good.  I mean really good!  lol  I pretty much stayed out of everyone's way at the start and stuck to a very basic ABC game until I felt like I'd sussed most of them out.  There was one woman who was just plain LOL bad.  I mean REALLY.  But she was also playing with any two and hitting all around her.  At one point though, she lost the plot...and any respect she had (if it was even possible) by everyone at the table was gone.  

Player A went all in, she (B) flat called and another (C) did too.  We see a rainbow flop of Q 10 x.  There's no side pot at this stage but she proceeds to bet out on the flop.  C makes the call.  On the raggy wee turn, she bets out strong again and C makes the call.  On the raggy river B gives up the betting and checks.  Well, C is like WTF?! and checks behind as she really has no idea where she is in the hand with that nutter.  On their backs.  All in (A) had JJ...fair enough.  B the clueless betting queen had KJ os.  And C turned over AQ os to take the pot.  B was betting big into a dry side pot with only a straight draw.  She just didn't have the nerve to carry it through to the river despite having so much put in on flop and turn.  We all just looked at her in shocked confusion.  WTF was she thinking?  Well, one thing's for sure...I didn't need to know French to understand the basics of the chat over the next few minutes.  And they didn't need to hear from me either because the look on my face said all I needed to say.

As the night progressed, I managed to pick up a good few pots at showdown.  Eventually I was getting away with a few moves now and then on more marginal hands.  But I didn't try that too often as I'd seen how light they'll call.  Was feeling pretty good about my game on the night and was fairly confident I could cash well in this thing.  

I'd the added bonus of the Lads calling to my table now and then checking in on me.  Mick called to the table a few times.  Then there was Jesse, Freddie, Marty and Surinder.  As each one would walk away I could hear the mutterings among the women as they filled each other in on who each of the Lads were who'd just called to see me.  These women didn't know me from adam, but it was becoming clear I knew a few people around the place...and they could play a bit.  

Some of the women were starting to lighten up with me and spoke the bit of English now and then.  But when a hand went funky that I was involved in, all French hell broke loose!  There were three of us involved and I've still no fecking clue what went down to cause all the upset.  I only know I wasn't the cause of it.  By the time the dust settled, it transpired that I'd won the pot - but I still couldn't tell you what the problem was or who had what because it was just mayhem from start to finish in that hand.  When one of them tried to translate for me it just kicked off again between the other two, so we left it alone and said no more.

Eventually I'm moved to a new table.  And this lot know how to play a bit.  We're getting down to the wire now and nearing final table stages so I rock up a bit to suss them out.  I folded me way around the place for a while and just about the time I had them sussed got three big hands in a row.  First one I had QQ and raised 2.5x blinds pre.  Folds round to me and I take the blinds.  Next hand I get KK.  Rinse, repeat the action.  Third hand on the trot and this time I'm dealt AA!  Raise pre this time and get a caller.  Flop comes A85, but 85 were suited.  They love their draws so I put in a bet of just over 1/2 the pot...and she folded.  Phew.  I'd kinda pissed them off after the 3rd hand and they were mumbling amongst themselves whilst looking at me.  

Next hand I get 44 in mid and there's already one limper and the blinds to get through so I decide to limp too.  Flop comes Q 10 4...rainbow.  Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  BB bets out, player B calls, I re-raise, BB pushes all in over the top and player B gets out of the way.  Up to me now.  Sighhhhhhhhh.  I'm thinking with ages and figure at best she has two pair but having just the Q is a possiblity too as they're sick of me pushing the table around.  If I make the call and get it wrong I'm not out, but as good as with maybe 1.5 BB's left.  

In the end I make the call and she turns over Q 10 os.  Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.  Turn, another puketastic Q - boooooooo.  No 4 on the river to save me, saw me on the rail the next hand when I shipped the lot in with me sooted rubbish.  Win that 44 hand and I'm deffo in the money with a good shot at winning the lot as we were both pretty healthy stacks.  Ah well.  There's always next time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:28:07 PM by Laxie » Logged

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 17, 2011, 07:16:15 PM »

Hehehehe,,, so you did go to play the ladies event, see what wearing a dress does to ya?

I know, right?!  WTF man.  Sigh. 

To be honest though, I really did enjoy it.  More so because I'd not felt good about my game with the bones of a year and wasn't enjoying playing.  Around November it was starting to come back to me a bit.  I really felt on top of things during that Ladies event.  Only for that one hand...and there's nearly always one in poker to send ya to the rail.

But regardless of that hand...the joy for the game is back me tinks.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 17, 2011, 07:27:14 PM »

Mick McCloskey is a poker player and journalist in the poker world who lives in Northern Ireland.  Honestly not even sure if we first met at an event in Dublin or if it was down here in Killarney while I was working reg desk for Laddies.  Just know from the minute we met a few years ago, we've been able to carry on a chat about anything and everything.

When I finish my shift in Killarney I always hunt him down for a chat before heading home each night.  Sometimes it just a quick one and other times we end up sat for hours chatting about everything under the sun. 

Hugh (h on blonde) has met him.  Introduced the pair of them at the last Pokerstars Killarney event.  DTD were here and there too and pretty sure Hugh won his seat with them for that one.  But I could be wrong so don't quote me on the actual event.  lol

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 17, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »

Day Four - Another walk around the place and a bit of Omahahahahaa

I finished up the night before with Mick and the Lads at a reasonable enough hour.  Think it was around 3:30am or summat.  Thing about this trip was while we all had the few drinks, there wasn't really a heavy duty session as such.  Actually, no.  I take that back.  The first two nights were mental enough, but mental without being stupid.  Meant the head and body weren't dying the next day despite the late hours and we could get out and about by noon or 1pm.

So on this day I did another bit of a walk about in the early afternoon.  This time Surinder was the tour guide.  He showed me around the financial district because there was a really cool building there he wanted me to see.  Don't know the name of it.  He did tell me but the brain being what it is, it's gone now.  All I know is it was well cool.  Not exactly 'pretty French' and I'd love to know what the architect was on when he was drawing up the plans.  It's a huge building with a hole right through the middle of it.

Click to see full-size image.

It was built to line up perfectly with the Arc de Triumph which could be seen off in the distance.  Only you can't really see it very well in this photo.  It's there at the very end though...trust me. 

After the walk, I did the sensible thing and took the train back to Mick as the feet were threatening to go on strike.  It was our last night and we were off to find a proper restaurant for our farewell dinner.  And man oh man...purely by accident we found it!!! 

http://www.lacasitaparis.fr/

Initially we were a bit reluctant after the 'meh' restaurant of the night before.  But we soldiered on and said it must be good because they aren't shy with their pricing.  Well the food was out of this world and the wine Mick picked to go with it was absolutely gorgeous.  Our moods lifted simultaneously with the first sip of the wine and everything just went up from there.  We'd hit the jackpot!  Everything from start to finish was just mouth watering and I couldn't recommend the place strongly enough.  Just know yer French because they're not too keen on English.  And why should they be?  They've got the cooking down pat and I wasn't there to chat with them.  I'd a most entertaining chat with Mick to keep me busy.

During dinner the topic of that night's Omaha Hi/Lo came up.  Mick was definitely playing it and I was busy dithering over what to do.  I love Omaha, but not too keen on hi/lo at the best of times.  I'm blaming the feel good factor from our dinner because in the end I said sod it, I'll play too. 

It went well enough considering I don't play the game often.  I messed up horribly half way through the night in two hands which were monster pots.  Both times I had a fairly decent high, but wasn't 100% sure it was the winner so I folded...totally forgetting that I also had a fairly good lo as well!  Turns out on both occasions I would have taken the hi AND the fecking lo.  Sighhhhhhhh.  I went out in 22nd or 21st I think at around 2am.  Top 9 got paid.  Damn.  Ah well...it was fun. 

After that it was back to the bar to meet up with the few left around the place for a drink or two.  Jesse was leaving the next day and Mick didn't leave until Thursday so I had a couple of drinks with them before heading off.  I'd to be up at 10am to pack and get moving for my flight home.  We know how well airports and I get along.  Couldn't be late...whatever about anything else.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 17, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »

great stuff dawn. i demand pics of the dress though. find some!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 17, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »

great stuff dawn. i demand pics of the dress though. find some!

Ya saw a glimpse of it in the video FFS!  Give a girl a break. 

I'll have a search round the French poker sites and see if I can find photos from the night.  Will do it tomorrow though as it'll keep me away from tidying the house.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 17, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »

Will do it tomorrow though as it'll keep me away from tidying the house.

wheee -  happy to help!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 17, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »

wheee -  happy to help!

That is most excellent news!  Yer hired! 

MSN meeting after we wake up and fire up.  Must discuss our battle plan for the search because I haven't a clue.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 17, 2011, 09:23:06 PM »

wheee -  happy to help!

MSN meeting after we wake up and fire up.  Must discuss our battle plan for the search because I haven't a clue.

just in case of any potential misunderstanding, i meant i'm happy to help you with avoiding doing your housework, not helping you doing your housework Cheesy

i'm off to bed in a min but will be around for a bit tomorrow afternoon - if you've not found pics by then, I WILL!

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 17, 2011, 09:38:59 PM »

wheee -  happy to help!

just in case of any potential misunderstanding, i meant i'm happy to help you with avoiding doing your housework, not helping you doing your housework Cheesy

i'm off to bed in a min but will be around for a bit tomorrow afternoon - if you've not found pics by then, I WILL!

Damn!  That's right.  I forgot you do that whole 'work' thing these days.  OK, I'll do me best to find 'em and let you actually manage it when you get here.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »

I've the last day/return home to do yet, as well as general bits from the week-end I'd missed (or forgot about) until now.  But ye can bloody well wait until tomorrow.

Reminders to self -
Tony G v the rest
Jesse tales
Driving
colour
Aviation
Awards
"Crazy"
Thank you

In the meantime I've an idea regarding the dress.  I won't post about that either until a genuine effort is made to find the damn pics.  The idea sucks really if truth be told.  Well...from my point of view anyway.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:29:36 AM by Laxie » Logged

h

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 17, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »

Mick McCloskey is a poker player and journalist in the poker world who lives in Northern Ireland.  Honestly not even sure if we first met at an event in Dublin or if it was down here in Killarney while I was working reg desk for Laddies.  Just know from the minute we met a few years ago, we've been able to carry on a chat about anything and everything.

When I finish my shift in Killarney I always hunt him down for a chat before heading home each night.  Sometimes it just a quick one and other times we end up sat for hours chatting about everything under the sun. 

Hugh (h on blonde) has met him.  Introduced the pair of them at the last Pokerstars Killarney event.  DTD were here and there too and pretty sure Hugh won his seat with them for that one.  But I could be wrong so don't quote me on the actual event.  lol

your not wrong did win seat through DTD
went didn't cash enjoyed the weekend

won seat for this years  Nottingham leg through DTD
went didn't cash

Breaking the pattern
won seat for Manchester next month through poker stars 

sounds like you had a great time in Paris
next instalment please
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 18, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »

your not wrong did win seat through DTD
went didn't cash enjoyed the weekend

won seat for this years  Nottingham leg through DTD
went didn't cash

Breaking the pattern
won seat for Manchester next month through poker stars 

sounds like you had a great time in Paris
next instalment please

Good luck in Manchester!!!  Hopefully it's 3rd time lucky for ya because you always seem to crush the sattys without hassle. 

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 18, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »

Day Five - Au revoir Paris (sure...NOW she gets it right)

So I got up at 10am on the dot.  Actual fact, I barely slept a wink.  Was tossing and turning all night.  Seems to happen at the end of most trips.  I blame the fact I missed a flight home from Newcastle once. 

To be fair, I did manage to get to the airport that time - on time (early even).  Checked in, went through security and was sat at me gate with 2 hours to spare.  Decided to take a nap and asked the gate staff to give me a nudge when it was time to board.  They said they would, but when the flight's gate changed to the one next door, they headed over and forgot about me.  I didn't wake from the nap until they'd managed to find and offload me luggage and the plane was pulling away from the new gate...which I could see from the window where I was sat...looking on in horror.  Have you ever tried to get a new flight from Newcastle to Cork in the same day?  I have.  It's bloody hard work and requires more than one flight as it turns out.  They've only one direct flight in the day...and those don't even run every day.  I even had to phone Ironside asking for help!  Just don't fall asleep in Newcastle.  Trust me.

Anyway, woke on time, packed and was ready to roll with a taxi booked for 11:30.  Mick and I chatted away about our poker schedules over the next couple of months to determine when our paths will cross again.  Looks like it'll be a while as I pretty much take a time out until May.  Just as well.  The poor man needs time to get over a week-end with me around.  To be fair, at least I let him swerve a climb up the side of the Eiffel Tower.

As I went to give him a hug goodbye he said with a cheeky grin, "I have to say....you are one craaaaaazy bitch!"  I got a fit of laughing and told him that line was sooooo going on me diary and he made me promise to tell ye all...

"They're going to think I was being rude!  Make sure you tell them I meant it in a nice way." 

"I will of course...no worries."

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 ... 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: