blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:34:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Laxie through the Looking Glass
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 ... 127 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie through the Looking Glass  (Read 177799 times)
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: August 10, 2010, 10:40:58 PM »

lilyloly

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 10, 2010, 11:07:20 PM »

Cassie had them on for a bit too and looked abso hysterical with her wee face.  But the picture was miles too dark to even make her out.  Sigh.  Once I get my replacement phone sorted, we'll be able to take flash photos again.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 11, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »

Sinéad found this wee gem for me today which has been placed firmly on the cleaning charts.  Will be dancing mad around the place to this one for sure!

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 14, 2010, 10:41:17 AM »

Wee note to self - No matter how well you clean and sterilise a Ragu jar prior to use for jam, your jam will still have the slight hint of onions and garlic in it. 

Good thing I made more than one jar.  grrrrrrrrrrrr

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 14, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »

The girl's room is finally done!  YAY!!!  And they did a great job too.  Yes, 'they'.  Not 'we'.  I bailed.  Had to.  Have I mentioned how bad it was?  Anyway, never mind...it's done now.

I held tough.  Didn't get nasty about it.  Just quietly and patiently requested they get cracking on it.  But something always came up to cause further delays.  To be fair to them, I know how it is.  Found myself unexpectedly busy during the month they were away too.  But I also knew eventually something would come up to give me the upper hand on the situation.  That hand arrived yesterday.

Those Brooklyn relations my kids called to see (between flights home) are in Ireland.  They landed in Dublin this morning and leave on Tuesday.  Ireland is only a quick stop on their way to a two week cruise, but my crew want to meet them while they're here.  Best get that room in order so.  And so they did.

Timothy, his parents and the kids are heading up on the train tomorrow and will stay for a night or two in Dublin.  Was no point rushing up there today as the Brooklyn lot will be suffering from jet lag.  Brian, Sinéad and Sarah are really looking forward to some time with their cousins.  I'm looking forward to the peace I'll have finishing up the tax returns while they're away.  Granted, Bridget has threatened a Sunday night girl's night in so I'll need to have them done and dusted before she arrives.  Bridget's version of 'a Sunday night in' usually means Monday is a washout.   

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »

Sinéad's parting words before they headed off to Dublin this morning...........

"My bedroom's not messy... I just have a floordrobe"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:42:28 AM by Laxie » Logged

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2010, 11:09:28 AM »

The crew headed off at 9am sharp yesterday.  'Sharp' because my father-in-law was driving and he doesn't do 'late'.  Not even by a minute.  In fact he's usually early for most things.  We're not.  No matter how hard we try.  On time...just about.  Early?  You could count the 'earlies' on one hand. 

He's a man set in his ways so it's always been a struggle for him to come to terms with our easy going approach.  When the phone rang at 8:30am, we knew who was on the other end before we even picked up the phone.  They nearly had heart failure when they heard a fry up was just starting in our house.  But I assured them the crew would be ready.  And they were. 

Off they went at 9am for a train not due to depart until 10:30.  It's only a 35 minute drive to the train station and they already had their tickets purchased to avoid delays.  Get yer other hand ready because my crew were well early for that train.  Sooooooooo glad I swerved the trip!  I can just picture the three teens sat around an empty train station for the bones of an hour.  They're not shy (don't know where they get it from) and wouldn't hesitate to make their views known in an 'early vs. on time' debate.  Luckily all was forgotten once they met up with their Brooklyn cousins in Dublin.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 16, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »

House all to myself.  What's a girl to do?  Believe it or not, I'm actually quite comfortable spending time on my own.  I love the constant go and madness as it's happening.  Never take any notice at all.  But it's times like this when I realise just how much I needed to chill.

So myself, Lily and Cassie did sweet feck all as it turns out.  Sure, I did a bit of tidying around the place while they followed to and fro.  But nothing major.  They kept me company while I cooked a wee bite for the dinner...and they got a few treats in the process.  I pottered around the garden for a bit and they kept me company there too.  Cassie barked at the cows while Lily and the cows looked on with confused expressions...as they do.  And that was our day.  

As the local shop was closed, I popped in to one of the pubs for smokes.  Got in, got smokes and got out.  Said a few hellos along the way, but didn't bother to stop for a pint.  Myself and Bridget were of two minds.  Would we go out or would we have a girly night in?  Turns out we didn't do either.  She'd had a few late night sessions earlier this week and was working days after, so she was abso wrecked.  Very nearly got her to go out, but in the end it was a bust.  Never mind.  My body would thank me in the morning.

Dogs asleep at my feet, I tucked in to a bowl of popcorn with the telly and laptop to keep me entertained.  Around 11:30 I found myself getting tired and was debating would I shut the lot down for the night or hang about another bit.  Pubs were closing for the night and it was only a matter of time before people would be making their way home.  Some passing my house on their way.  Surely they wouldn't call here?  Turns out someone did.  

Siobhan was in proper 'merry mode' when she stumbled through the door.  Large glass of wine in hand.  She's my next door neighbour and she doesn't make late night calls that often to be fair.  But when she does...good luck getting her home.  I humoured her by having one drink as we chattered away and luckily nobody else stopped in.  Would still be entertaining now if a crowd had landed.  As it was, I saw sleep around 3am.  Not too bad I suppose.  

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:07:10 PM by Laxie » Logged

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 16, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »

Today we clean.  I say 'we' when really it's only me doing the work.  But since Lily and Cassie follow my every move, they'll be busy too.  I'm amazed we don't run into or trip over each other more often.  That said, we're at it so often we've probably got it down to a fine art without realising. 

I've booted up the desk top and will be getting the play list ready shortly.  Top of today's picks?  It's a bit repetitive, but I do some mean cleaning to it...................................

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 16, 2010, 10:32:18 PM »

Baths are for chillin' and showers for cleaning.  Agreed?

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »

A while ago I told you about my brush with college.  They wanted me to attend for free.  Full four years on a basketball scholarship.  And I didn't want to go.  At the time it made perfect sense, but if truth be told I do sometimes quietly kick meself for such a silly swerve.  Especially these days when I truly realise what a wasted opportunity it was.

I've always worried about my kids and their schooling.  I'm realistic with my expectations.  Not everyone 'gets it' when taught maths, history, science or whatever.  But I do expect them to at least give it a go.  At the same time, I've tried not to put them under too much pressure.  It's a tricky balance.  Encouragement without pressure.  At the end of the day, they've good hearts and as long as they're happy, that's all that's really important.

Brian has struggled so much through school, it's unreal.  He goes through phases where he'll try his ever loving best, but eventually he gets frustrated if he doesn't 'get it'.  I've always dreaded the parent teacher meetings.  They'd tell me how nice and polite he is, but they'd follow it up with how very little he's actually learning.  They even went as far as telling me he hadn't a hope of passing his exams this year.  Every single teacher (bar one) said it.  One even went as far as saying he'd intentions of telling Brian not to bother showing up to class the rest of this past year.  The teacher felt he was wasting his time with Brian.  Great altogether. 

Brian carried on and attended every class.  He studied as hard as he could and asked for help when he needed it.  He took his exams in June and went off to America for July.  All the while sweating the results.  Everywhere he went, people were asking him if he intended to go to college.  The poor kid could only say, "I hope so."  We all hoped so. 

I've spent the past few weeks telling him not worry.  Whatever the score, it's not the end of the world and we'll help him with whatever direction he needs to go next.  I was trying to be loving but realistic at the same time.  Hopeful.  But after everything the teachers had said, deep down...not too sure.       

Today was the day.  The results came out this morning.  It's an odd one.  Relief, joy, sorrow and absolute desperation...all rolled into one group.  The kids gather together at the school to collect them.  Everyone has their own hopes and dreams.  And it all hinges on the contents of an envelope.  You know immediately if they're another step toward those goals...or if they have to go back and do the lot over again.  You can even spot the ones who have given up hope of ever dreaming again.  It's horrible to watch.  And it's all they've thought about for the past two months.  It's all any of us has thought about if we're honest.  Will they get the scores they need for college or will they have to go back again?  All the answers in one wee envelope. 

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 18, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »

As for Brian?  Well........................................

HE'S ON HIS WAY TO COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

cupcake cupcake cupcake cupcake  cupcake

disco disco disco disco

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 18, 2010, 09:08:39 PM »

congrats, is college in Ireland the equivalent to uni in England?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 18, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »

congrats, is college in Ireland the equivalent to uni in England?

Yeah.  It's Uni here too if truth be told.  But yer dealing with a Yank telling the tales...so things get jumbled sometimes. 

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 18, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »

A while ago I told you about my brush with college.  They wanted me to attend for free.  Full four years on a basketball scholarship.  And I didn't want to go.  At the time it made perfect sense, but if truth be told I do sometimes quietly kick meself for such a silly swerve.  Especially these days when I truly realise what a wasted opportunity it was.

I've always worried about my kids and their schooling.  I'm realistic with my expectations.  Not everyone 'gets it' when taught maths, history, science or whatever.  But I do expect them to at least give it a go.  At the same time, I've tried not to put them under too much pressure.  It's a tricky balance.  Encouragement without pressure.  At the end of the day, they've good hearts and as long as they're happy, that's all that's really important.

Brian has struggled so much through school, it's unreal.  He goes through phases where he'll try his ever loving best, but eventually he gets frustrated if he doesn't 'get it'.  I've always dreaded the parent teacher meetings.  They'd tell me how nice and polite he is, but they'd follow it up with how very little he's actually learning.  They even went as far as telling me he hadn't a hope of passing his exams this year.  Every single teacher (bar one) said it.  One even went as far as saying he'd intentions of telling Brian not to bother showing up to class the rest of this past year.  The teacher felt he was wasting his time with Brian.  Great altogether. 

Brian carried on and attended every class.  He studied as hard as he could and asked for help when he needed it.  He took his exams in June and went off to America for July.  All the while sweating the results.  Everywhere he went, people were asking him if he intended to go to college.  The poor kid could only say, "I hope so."  We all hoped so. 

I've spent the past few weeks telling him not worry.  Whatever the score, it's not the end of the world and we'll help him with whatever direction he needs to go next.  I was trying to be loving but realistic at the same time.  Hopeful.  But after everything the teachers had said, deep down...not too sure.       

Today was the day.  The results came out this morning.  It's an odd one.  Relief, joy, sorrow and absolute desperation...all rolled into one group.  The kids gather together at the school to collect them.  Everyone has their own hopes and dreams.  And it all hinges on the contents of an envelope.  You know immediately if they're another step toward those goals...or if they have to go back and do the lot over again.  You can even spot the ones who have given up hope of ever dreaming again.  It's horrible to watch.  And it's all they've thought about for the past two months.  It's all any of us has thought about if we're honest.  Will they get the scores they need for college or will they have to go back again?  All the answers in one wee envelope. 

Another fantastic post Lax.

And very well done Brian.

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 ... 127 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: