blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 8275 8276 8277 8278 [8279] 8280 8281 8282 8283 ... 9207 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13333921 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #124170 on: December 19, 2016, 04:27:16 PM »

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/19/watch-full-tim-duncan-number-retirement-ceremony-video/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The most understated/modest world class sportsman to ever live had his retirement ceremony and number retired last night.  Worth a watch for all NBA fans.  Thanks for the memories TD. 
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #124171 on: December 19, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »

For reference

Click to see full-size image.

note to self: no point ever betting this early in the year, or getting sucked into recency bias from a single event that is usually trumped by the time december comes around

Anyone surprised at how few people voted for Willet?  He would have surely been a huge price to actually finish last?  Just shows the cricket/golf/football (Vardy/Bale also polled much lower than i thought they would overall) predominately on Sky must have very little chance of ever winning this award again.  Is Rugby effectively in this group now as well?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124172 on: December 19, 2016, 05:29:53 PM »

For reference

note to self: no point ever betting this early in the year, or getting sucked into recency bias from a single event that is usually trumped by the time december comes around

Anyone surprised at how few people voted for Willet?  He would have surely been a huge price to actually finish last?  Just shows the cricket/golf/football (Vardy/Bale also polled much lower than i thought they would overall) predominately on Sky must have very little chance of ever winning this award again.  Is Rugby effectively in this group now as well?

Yes. being on terrestial is a huge factor. whether formally or not the BBC promotes stuff it has rights to in the SPOTY PR process and on the night itself

look at last night's show, sports like racing, boxing etc got seconds (not minutes) of coverage in the monthly summaries

i too thought the football guys might poll higher with MOTD and the Euros on BBC, i must admit though

Willett, its too early in the year to feed into the recency bias in voting on the night.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124173 on: December 19, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »

p.s and the demographic of the SPOTY voters. BBC1 Sunday nights more middle class, more female etc. Fewer Sky sports subscribers than you'd think (i'd argue)

My eyes are open wide
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124174 on: December 19, 2016, 05:39:15 PM »

NFL tonight, de sean jackson recieving yards, over 55.5 with BV, under 67.5 william hill (68.5 sky)  decent middle for a scoop :-)

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #124175 on: December 19, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »

For reference

Anyone surprised at how few people voted for Willet?  He would have surely been a huge price to actually finish last?  Just shows the cricket/golf/football (Vardy/Bale also polled much lower than i thought they would overall) predominately on Sky must have very little chance of ever winning this award again.  Is Rugby effectively in this group now as well?

Yes. being on terrestial is a huge factor. whether formally or not the BBC promotes stuff it has rights to in the SPOTY PR process and on the night itself

look at last night's show, sports like racing, boxing etc got seconds (not minutes) of coverage in the monthly summaries

i too thought the football guys might poll higher with MOTD and the Euros on BBC, i must admit though

Willett, its too early in the year to feed into the recency bias in voting on the night.

This is my next question isn't Joshua a terrible fav to win this next year because of this?  Some of the (lack of) coverage of some major sports was truly shocking at times last night.  Snooker (even on the bbc) literally has no chance of ever being in with a mention for spoty again even though it has previous winners.  The extended air time given to disabled athletes at times all seems to stink of BBC PR rather than anything else.  Not sure if this is a general view or whether i will get shouted down about it but it is the view i hold in a rather similar vein to the BBC camera man always finding the token non white person in a crowd shot on centre court at Wimbledon.

I used to love SPOTY as a kid but after watching it last night i probably wouldn't even watch it again tbh.
Matt50

View Profile
« Reply #124176 on: December 19, 2016, 05:45:38 PM »

For reference

Anyone surprised at how few people voted for Willet?  He would have surely been a huge price to actually finish last?  Just shows the cricket/golf/football (Vardy/Bale also polled much lower than i thought they would overall) predominately on Sky must have very little chance of ever winning this award again.  Is Rugby effectively in this group now as well?

This is my next question isn't Joshua a terrible fav to win this next year because of this?  Some of the (lack of) coverage of some major sports was truly shocking at times last night.  Snooker (even on the bbc) literally has no chance of ever being in with a mention for spoty again even though it has previous winners.  The extended air time given to disabled athletes at times all seems to stink of BBC PR rather than anything else.  Not sure if this is a general view or whether i will get shouted down about it but it is the view i hold in a rather similar vein to the BBC camera man always finding the token non white person in a crowd shot on centre court at Wimbledon.

I used to love SPOTY as a kid but after watching it last night i probably wouldn't even watch it again tbh.

This totally - it used to be a review of the sporting year, now it is just a voting contest - too much time spent discussing each nominee.
I didn't watch last night for the first time ever I think, more interested in watching the darts and NFL redzone
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124177 on: December 19, 2016, 05:45:48 PM »

accentuated because it is a Paralympic year, but i don't think it is the bad thing you think it is

I hadn't heard of the lady who finished 5th last night, the rider with cerebral palsy. What an amazing stroy though, and clearly won a lot of votes from it

likewise Skelton an incredible feel good story. 50-1 e/w available a fortnight a go.

voting is only open on the night, the demographic of the audience is key. the voting audience isn't overwhelmingly arbboys, its arbboy's mum, Mrs etc

My eyes are open wide
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #124178 on: December 19, 2016, 05:50:58 PM »

If you put the 16 runners last night into a 10 x 10 picture frame with 84 other athletes to make 100 head pictures how many of the 16 would you 100% be able to name?  I don't think for certain i would be able to name more than 8.  I spend 60 hours a week watching sport.  I think the show should be laid to rest as it doesn't really make any sense compared to its original format decades ago.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #124179 on: December 19, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »

accentuated because it is a Paralympic year, but i don't think it is the bad thing you think it is

I hadn't heard of the lady who finished 5th last night, the rider with cerebral palsy. What an amazing stroy though, and clearly won a lot of votes from it

likewise Skelton an incredible feel good story. 50-1 e/w available a fortnight a go.

voting is only open on the night, the demographic of the audience is key. the voting audience isn't overwhelmingly arbboys, its arbboy's mum, Mrs etc

Sure i get that.  Skelton and Brownlee's careers are amazing and worthy of inclusion with or without the feel good story factor of each one.  We have the greatest snooker player in history, some of England's greatest ever cricketers currently playing, a Scotsman who is trying to become only the third player in history to win 3 world darts championships in a row in the toughest era of all time etc etc and hardly a mention of them amongst numerous other examples like this across many other sports.  It seems the core sports of the country might have changed (from a bbc point of view) but i think we have gone too far on this show with the disabled angle.  

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:13:16 PM by arbboy » Logged
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124180 on: December 19, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »

NFL tonight, de sean jackson recieving yards, over 55.5 with BV, under 67.5 william hill (68.5 sky)  decent middle for a scoop :-)

BV line went quickly, guess they reading

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124181 on: December 19, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »

The disabled competitors are only coming round once every four years (they'll scrabble around to find one to put in in a non-Paralympic year but in those years they'll be like jazz or folk albums nominated for the Mercury Music prize).

I agree that it was best when it was the Sports Review of the year, but the big change was when it started getting held in arenas ten years ago - up until then it was in a normal TV studio. As it's in an arena, it can't be the small little thing but has to be like the bloody X-Factor.

Remember, real people paid £45 each to go and watch two hours of interviews with sports people - baffling.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #124182 on: December 19, 2016, 06:15:04 PM »

The disabled competitors are only coming round once every four years (they'll scrabble around to find one to put in in a non-Paralympic year but in those years they'll be like jazz or folk albums nominated for the Mercury Music prize).

I agree that it was best when it was the Sports Review of the year, but the big change was when it started getting held in arenas ten years ago - up until then it was in a normal TV studio. As it's in an arena, it can't be the small little thing but has to be like the bloody X-Factor.

Remember, real people paid £45 each to go and watch two hours of interviews with sports people - baffling.

Agreed plus all the ex's to get there as well.  Thought the hardcore Leicester fans were great though.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124183 on: December 19, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »

Agreed plus all the ex's to get there as well.  Thought the hardcore Leicester fans were great though.

i have better. a friend was offered £200 for their ticket by a Robbie Williams fan who never misses a live appearance/concert/talk show appearance if they can possibly help it

My eyes are open wide
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #124184 on: December 19, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »

i have better. a friend was offered £200 for their ticket by a Robbie Williams fan who never misses a live appearance/concert/talk show appearance if they can possibly help it

[Sets stopwatch]

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 ... 8275 8276 8277 8278 [8279] 8280 8281 8282 8283 ... 9207 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: