blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Independence Referendum
Poll
Question: Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?
Yes - because it would be better for the Scots
Yes - because the rest of the UK would be better off without the Scots
Don't really know
Don't care
No, the Union is a good thing

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 114 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Independence Referendum  (Read 191421 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »

The only thing that really matters right now is that in the debate, when Darling said 'You aren't getting the pound - what's your plan B?', Salmond didn't/couldn't answer.

Everything else, all the campaigning, posters, polls among poker players, are meaningless. Until Salmond looks like he knows what he's talking about on that question, Yes is fucked.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »

So wtf is Scottish Labour's policy on currency going to be if there is a yes vote?  Presumably they should have that all ready to roll out?  They are the ones that are 100% against a currency union.

The fact is that debt and currency are interlocked and it would be utterly absurd to expect iScotland to find billions in anther country's currency to pay off a debt (that the UK has no intention of paying off anyway, just rolling it over).
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »

The only thing that really matters right now is that in the debate, when Darling said 'You aren't getting the pound - what's your plan B?', Salmond didn't/couldn't answer.

Everything else, all the campaigning, posters, polls among poker players, are meaningless. Until Salmond looks like he knows what he's talking about on that question, Yes is fucked.

Ok, what you willing to lay me that when negotiations are completed we will be using the £. 

Incase you missed it nobody can stop us using the £, if we want to we will.  Personally its not what I want to see happen but nobody not Darling, not Balls, not Gideon or our mate Dave. 

FWIW I think Salmond has given a perfectly good answer about the currency and just because the Better Together (wtf does that even mean?) keep going on about it doesn't mean its going to change. 
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »

I don't care what happens either way, but to try and suggest that the "Yes" campaign is somehow on level pegging or even ahead is ridiculous.

And you know this how?  Are you on the streets campaigning, are you attending meetings all over Scotland or chapping doors asking folk what they really think? 
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »

You sound convinced? Do we get to take the piss when Scotland votes no  Cheesy
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »

You sound convinced? Do we get to take the piss when Scotland votes no  Cheesy

By all means. 
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2014, 03:47:36 PM »

This is quite a coup.

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2014/aug/sir-donald-mackay-backs-economic-case-yes
"First Minister Alex Salmond has welcomed new analysis of Scotland’s oil and gas reserves by Professor Sir Donald Mackay - former chairman of Scottish Enterprise and former Economic Adviser to the Secretary of State for Scotland – who sets out why the UK Government’s Office of Budget Responsibility is “precisely wrong” and “hopelessly at sea”. Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland this morning he also made clear why an independent Scotland will be in a better financial position than the rest of the UK and that the Scottish Government’s proposals are “perfectly sensible”."
About Sir Donald -
"Sir Donald was a founding Director of a number of companies, including a bank, financial services company and an oil operating company. He has served as a Non-Executive Director with a number of private companies including Grampian Holdings and the Malcolm Group. He was Chairman of Scottish Enterprise and a Board member of a number of public companies (South of Scotland Electricity Board and the Sea Fish Industry Authority).
As an economic consultant, he advised the Scotch Whisky Association for a period of 20 years from 1981. He was also an Economic Adviser to the Secretary of State for Scotland for over 25 years. He is presently Chairman of the Scottish Mortgage Trust and a Director of Edinburgh Income and Value Trust."
http://reformscotland.com/index.php/about/advisory-board/donald-mackay
Sir Donald MacKay, Debretts entry - http://www.debretts.com/people-of-today/profile/1506/Donald-Iain-MacKAY
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074hf7
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »

I don't care what happens either way, but to try and suggest that the "Yes" campaign is somehow on level pegging or even ahead is ridiculous.

And you know this how?  Are you on the streets campaigning, are you attending meetings all over Scotland or chapping doors asking folk what they really think? 

the whole of the polling industry and the betfair market is massively wrong?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »

They got is massively wrong at the ast Scottish Election didn't they. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »

did they?

Betfair has Yes about a 13% shot, down from 30-something 6 weeks ago

the pollsters and Betfair are THAT wrong?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »

It's called a poll.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »

I don't really want to get dragged into a discussion about an issue I don't care about, but you saying that the bookies and the pollsters are far less accurate than you sampling a poker tournament or speaking to a few people door to door is absurd. Surely you can see that?
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »

I don't really want to get dragged into a discussion about an issue I don't care about, but you saying that the bookies and the pollsters are far less accurate than you sampling a poker tournament or speaking to a few people door to door is absurd. Surely you can see that?

I was quite clear that the sample size of the poker players wasn't to be taken seriously. 

But we have polled over 11,000 people and we have yes in front. 

We have stories of yes supporters being locked out of TV debates. 

We have a complicit media who don't report on fact, take this for example.  http://wingsoverscotland.com/emergency-cases/
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »

Kmac - you have to step back from the politically-energised environment you're in. An awful lot of people in Scotland will have views which are no stronger than 'I'd quite like it if we were independent'/'Don't think independence is a good idea'.

They're not going to be reading press releases on the SNP website, or scouring for the meaning in every new poll. They would watch the debate though, and Salmond seemed to come off worst (judging from the moves on Betfair). Little else will matter until the next debate. Salmond could move the needle then if he gets all Archie Gemmill v Holland on Darling's arse.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »

In 2011 the pollsters told us Labour had a double digit leade depending on which poll you went by Labour were apparently between 11 - 15 points clear.  We all know how that worked out. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 114 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: