blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 11:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272989 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Independence Referendum
Poll
Question: Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?
Yes - because it would be better for the Scots
Yes - because the rest of the UK would be better off without the Scots
Don't really know
Don't care
No, the Union is a good thing

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 114 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Independence Referendum  (Read 193900 times)
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »

Does anybody not think that if Scotland was to go on their own it would turn the countries against each other? There is obviously banter & so between the English & Scottish, but I think in the unlikely event of a split that it could turn into genuine malice & hate between the two, which would be a shame.

I think it won't be happening though, don't see why it has to happen either, seems a complete shame that people want it to.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »

Does anybody not think that if Scotland was to go on their own it would turn the countries against each other? There is obviously banter & so between the English & Scottish, but I think in the unlikely event of a split that it could turn into genuine malice & hate between the two, which would be a shame.

I think it won't be happening though, don't see why it has to happen either, seems a complete shame that people want it to.

I don't think it would cause any hate that wasn't already there at the moment.  I don't hate England at all or the English people for that matter.  There are idiots on both sides of the border, same way there are between football clubs etc but it doesn't always boil over and it shouldn't have to. 

I think you are very much wrong thinking it won't happen, the desire for independence and sovereignty is very much alive and I know of only 3 people within my circle of friends, colleagues and relations who are voting no.  Opinion polls show the gaps are closing indeed there are rumours circulating that the government are supressing the result of a mori-ipsos poll that they commission because it shows overwhelming support for Independence.

Why do you think its a shame that people in a different country want to have control over everything that happens in that country?  Why should Scottish people and indeed the Welsh/Irish be dictated to from England?  Granted we all send our MP's but realistically our views are never catered too, it doesn't matter how people in Scotland vote we will always be outnumbered and if England decides its leaving the EU in 2017 Scotland would have to go to, but that would be against our wishes. 

Look at it this way imagine the Ducth decided that they would govern the Germans, or that the Spanish would control Portugal.  Or lord forbid what if the boot was on the other foot and Scotland controlled England. 

Self determination is the right of every country. 

WE can still be neighbours, there will be many scots still living in England and vice-versa.  The only difference is we will be making the decisions that benefit Scotland. 
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-unionist-case-for-independence/

Ironically, it’s by remaining in one union – one that’s set on a seemingly unstoppable path to leave the EU – that we would put at most risk exactly the things that Unionists tell us are so great about them. Any true unionist, therefore, could only vote Yes.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2014, 08:59:48 PM »

Kmac as much as i admire your enthusiasm for independence you keep quoting from one side of the arguement
for every post you making linking to a site i could link you to another that disagrees from the other side of arguement

its hard to find any good unbiased stuff

the yes camp say all the stuff they print is fact and all the no camp say is false
and the no camp does the opposite

i am undecided as there is good and bad on both side and am finding some good stuff if you keep away from the 2 sides propagranda

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »

Kmac as much as i admire your enthusiasm for independence you keep quoting from one side of the arguement
for every post you making linking to a site i could link you to another that disagrees from the other side of arguement

the yes camp say all the stuff they print is fact and all the no camp say is false

i am undecided as there is good and bad on both side and am finding some good stuff if you keep away from the 2 sides propagranda

I can't dispute that but I vary my sources it doesn't all come from one place ie Yes Scotland. 

If you could find an honest answer from the no camp which hasn't been contradicted by someone else in that camp you'd be doing well.

Independence won't make everything rosey overnight but it puts responsibility in our own hands and then its time we step upto the plate. 

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2014, 10:51:55 PM »

I can't dispute that but I vary my sources it doesn't all come from one place ie Yes Scotland. 

If you could find an honest answer from the no camp which hasn't been contradicted by someone else in that camp you'd be doing well.

Independence won't make everything rosey overnight but it puts responsibility in our own hands and then its time we step upto the plate. 

25 years ago i was a passionate supporter of indy scotland untill the SNP started tasting power and liking it

hate all there left wing policys
being disabled i do support some left wing stuff but i am also more adamant on stuff like keeping nukes in scotland

i dont like the current SNP leadership and the current MPs and MSP seem to care more about the big business rather than
the little guy i used to be able to contact maggie ewing and got her supporting lots of issues
but the new crop are always to busy

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »

I don't like the SNP either, for different reasons though.  The SNP are not left wing, they are certainly left of centre but that is why they have proved to be a good government for a devolved Scotland. 

I don't like the idea of curry flavouring big business and being best buddies with them.

I 100% cannot agree with you on nuclear weapons these are abhorrent and there is no reason for us to have them, especially not 30 miles from our most populated city. 

Moreover I definitely prefer localised campaigns and action.  I am a member of Independent Working Class Association and the Radical Independence Campaign.  Both are lefty groups, but I have moved in that direction because I became completey disgusted, disenfranchised and disilussioned by New Labour.  I would hope that the next vote i cast in an independent Scotland would be to vote in a proper/traditiona Labour Party, who represent the aspirations and traditions of Scotland, and I thoroughly believe the people behind Labour For Indy have that potential . 

THIS IS NOT ABOUT HE SNP or ALEX SALMOND, but you know what if you don't like them at least you can get rid of them.  It doesn't matter that we never voted for the tories or lib dems they are the current government. 
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »

As a Trade Union Rep at work I have been trying to organise a meeting were we can have both sides of the arguement put forward a case and have a debate and a Q&A session. 

Despite my own personal preference for Independence my Union has taken a position of neutrality.  But they are happy for us to engage with staff and support a speaking event. 

Astonishingly I can't get anyone from the NO campaign to come and speak. 
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »

Wiiii campaign is heating up.

The Yes campaign is trouncing the No campaign.

Good thing about the Yes campaign is it's been conducted in a positive manner, compared to the negativity of the disorganised no campaign.

Couple of months ago thought it would be hard to cut throw the West of Scotland Labour supporters voting no, but the game is on!

Had an interesting conversation with some English folk last week, they really can't stand Alex Salmond and feel he is anti-English.

Bit surprising that, imo he's definatly not anti-English, just pro Scotland.

Like him or dislike him, he is one of the best politicians in the UK today.

Game on, will be interesting to see the result come September.
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »

If labour supporters voted "yes", they would most likely get a Labour Government in an independant Scotland
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »

Funny how everyone on the Yes side of the argument thinks they have conducted themselves perfectly and everyone on No campaign has conducted themselves terribly, and vice versa.

It's almost like such an emotive topic is making it impossible for anybody to act without bias.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »

Funny how everyone on the Yes side of the argument thinks they have conducted themselves perfectly and everyone on No campaign has conducted themselves terribly, and vice versa.

It's almost like such an emotive topic is making it impossible for anybody to act without bias.

I don't think that is the case at all, I think the No Campaign have been as expected, they have acted like traditional british politicians and then they will question why people are disengaged from politics and why turn-outs are down year on year.  

I think the majority of the YES Campaing has been positive and dignified.  

It is obviously hard to act without bias once you have made your mind up but that doesn't mean your blinkered.  

The most interesting thing for me is the number of times there have been debates held at different venues and straw polls and electronic polls are taken before and after, each and everytime the vote swings towards YES and I believe this is because of the positivity.  That said, we can't win this or make Scotland a better place just through hope and aspiration.  We need to all work hard to first of all achieve the outcome we desire and then to make sure our elected representatives live up to their promise.

The best people I have had the pleasure to listening to through this debate have been either non party affiliated or from minority parties.  Jim Sillars, Allan Gogan, Jean Freeman, Patrick Harvie, Cat Boyd, Robert McCalpine all stand out.  

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:32:48 PM by Kmac84 » Logged
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2014, 06:32:07 PM »

It's been a while since I posted anything on this.

Despite all the official polls still showing a no lead, the negative campigning of the No camp, the media bias everything on the ground is very positive in the yes camp, we are working on the areas we are likely to get a high turnout in, various parts of the campaign are working on voter enrollment and engagement. 

In the last few days the very good, and well informed Wings Over Scotland has produced "The Wee Blue Book" which has seen over 200,000 downloads and the print campaign is underway to get this out to people who don't have access to the internet. 

A recent poll of Scottish poker players shows + 80% in favour of yes, granted the sample isn't that big.  The number of houses I have seen in various parts of the counntry with yes banners, the number of people I have seen with badges etc all lead me to believe this is happening. 

In the recent TV debate much of what we heard after it was that Darling had won, I think that depended on who you asked and what you wanted from the debate but looking at the official poll after it the momentum showed that the undecideds were moving towards yes.  In addition to that there were many reported instances of yes voters who were selected by ipsos mori who were refused entry and replaces by no voters. 

There have been a number of defections from the No camp to the yes camp including prominent councillors, trade unionists, campaigners. 

With 5 weeks to go, its game on. 

http://wingsoverscotland.com/weebluebook/
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.110033387

time to fill your boots then? Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »

I don't care what happens either way, but to try and suggest that the "Yes" campaign is somehow on level pegging or even ahead is ridiculous.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 114 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: