blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:06:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Independence Referendum
Poll
Question: Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?
Yes - because it would be better for the Scots
Yes - because the rest of the UK would be better off without the Scots
Don't really know
Don't care
No, the Union is a good thing

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 ... 114 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Independence Referendum  (Read 191137 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: September 17, 2014, 11:29:30 PM »

Read that about three times Iron, think you are probably making a similar point to me but hey who knows.... Cheesy

its late, i have had no sleep (under 10 hours total) in 2 weeks and i never normally make much sense anyway

but your likely right

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 17, 2014, 11:57:51 PM »

kmac the point is we dont know what type of independence we will get and that should of been sorted and discussed before any referendum

what happens when/if we vote yes the people round the table come up with a mealie mally hotpot of claptrap

of an independent scotland with 2 chambers of governance both elected and both have the power to veto and bring in laws

so nothing ever really gets done fully everything is waterdown for the best common denominator i certainly wouldnt want that
but its an option on the cards just now
would i want a president/prime minister with alot of power who basically runs over the parliament no

but again i dont want a single chamber either cause then in a rogue election we could end up getting a protest vote and

finding ourselves with a far right or loony left  party having a large majority and able to bring in crackpot laws policies etc

the way the country will be govern is way to important to not have a say on it and we wont have a say after tomorrow

if it comes yes they dont turn round and say this is how we think the country should be govern what you think

it will be this is how you will be governed in the future like it our lump it

I think your posts demonstrate why they are wise not to go into these details before the vote. There are numerous constitutional options. Trying to select their preferred options would just lead to divisions within their own ranks, diverting their attention away from their main issue and causing others to point out that they couldn't agree among themselves what sort of independence they want.

And when they presented a list of their preferred options, you would agree with some and disagree with others, which could lose them votes. It is easy to imagine some voters saying "I would have voted for independence, but I don't like the idea of an elected President or an unelected second Chamber", for example.

And whatever is decided can always be changed in the future, whether it is something you dislike or something you like, irrespective of whether it is presented after the vote or before.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 18, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »

pretty hard to change the way a country is governed just look at the house of lords all 3 major UK parties have been trying to change that for as long as i have had a vote if not for much longer nothing is really ever done about it

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 18, 2014, 12:50:56 AM »

pretty hard to change the way a country is governed just look at the house of lords all 3 major UK parties have been trying to change that for as long as i have had a vote if not for much longer nothing is really ever done about it

Not a great example as you have to get changes to the House of Lords through the House of Lords which is a major stumbling block and they have basically managed to get rid of hereditary peers which is a fairly major reform in itself.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 18, 2014, 01:14:50 AM »

Not a great example as you have to get changes to the House of Lords through the House of Lords which is a major stumbling block and they have basically managed to get rid of hereditary peers which is a fairly major reform in itself.

yeah but if we get something set up in scotland then the people hate it but the people in the chambers dont then we are in same boat

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: September 18, 2014, 01:15:33 AM »

scotlands facebook page

OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 18, 2014, 09:31:03 AM »

Vote cast at 701, probably need over 2 million.

God only knows what is in store for me tonight!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1402 on: September 18, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »

I had a Tunnock's teacake and a can of Irn Bru this morning.  Living the Scottish dream.

Cheesy

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 18, 2014, 09:34:52 AM »

I had a Tunnock's teacake and a can of Irn Bru this morning.  Living the Scottish dream.

Cheesy
stovies for lunch and haggis neeps and tatties and some buckfast for dinner and a deep fried mars bar for desert

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 18, 2014, 10:29:01 AM »

Democratic Audit ‏@democraticaudit
Pooling samples from 5 recent polls gives a reasonable idea of today's likely #indyref geography:

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 18, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »

Bobby Duffy ‏@BobbyIpsosMORI

From our #indyref poll for STV: huge difference between deprived and affluent areas, as throughout campaign

My eyes are open wide
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 18, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »

All these stats Rich, I sense you are in heaven Smiley
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1407 on: September 18, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »

Cheesy
stovies for lunch and haggis neeps and tatties and some buckfast for dinner and a deep fried mars bar for desert

Buckfast.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 18, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »

going to miss it, as an election junkie

i mean, apart from going on a three day bender win or lose what are thousands of Scot campaigners yes or no going to do next week?!

My eyes are open wide
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1409 on: September 18, 2014, 11:11:11 AM »

going to miss it, as an election junkie

i mean, apart from going on a three day bender win or lose what are thousands of Scot campaigners yes or no going to do next week?!

Same as me - keep checking this thread for updates on OTB's neighbours.

I'm going to miss those guys.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 ... 114 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: