blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 600641 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: September 03, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »

Alright then well who would you have bought? Who was available? Last year Wenger spent £15m on an average striker in Welbeck, you think we should go and buy another Welbeck?

Berahino and Austin for two.

Neither player improves the squad! Giroud and Welbeck are already 2 international standard strikers, Walcott and Sanchez can also play there if needed. The only way we should spend if someone even better proves themselves available. I would never want Arsenal to be one of those teams that spends for the sake of it and has a history of comedy transfers like some other clubs, spending does not guarantee success otherwise Spurs would have won it 2 seasons ago. Wenger has spent very wisely in recent times. If he thought nobody was available who is better than what we've already got, i'm going to trust him on that.

Lol

He is most certainly paid like one.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 03, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »

I'm all for not spending silly money and only buying if you can improve but for a team that didn't win the league last year and hasn't done for a long time it's hard to imagine there were no improvements that could be made.

Blue text
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 03, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »

I'm all for not spending silly money and only buying if you can improve but for a team that didn't win the league last year and hasn't done for a long time it's hard to imagine there were no improvements that could be made.

There are plenty of improvements that could be made but realistically which players are better than the ones they already have who will actually wish to join arsenal?  This is a relatively small group of players.  Austin isn't improving arsenal.  Neither is the west brom kid in the immediate future so who do they try to sign who they can afford AND will want to join them?  It isn't easy.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 03, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »

Alright then well who would you have bought? Who was available? Last year Wenger spent £15m on an average striker in Welbeck, you think we should go and buy another Welbeck?

Berahino

wasnt for sale

Yes he was. If Spurs had offered 25m up front and not in instalments they would have got him.

For 30m, they would have driven him to White Hart Lane.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 03, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »

Berahino and Austin for two.

Neither player improves the squad! Giroud and Welbeck are already 2 international standard strikers, Walcott and Sanchez can also play there if needed. The only way we should spend if someone even better proves themselves available. I would never want Arsenal to be one of those teams that spends for the sake of it and has a history of comedy transfers like some other clubs, spending does not guarantee success otherwise Spurs would have won it 2 seasons ago. Wenger has spent very wisely in recent times. If he thought nobody was available who is better than what we've already got, i'm going to trust him on that.

If you don't think Berahino is better than Walbeck, you need your eyes tested.

Austin would have given them an entirely different option.

Both would have improved the squad.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 03, 2015, 07:00:41 PM »

Berahino is one of the few players who could have improved Arsenal and a player they could have got given how keen he was to go to Spurs. 
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »

I'm guessing that the Wenger-bashers are suggesting that we gazumped manure by bidding €90M for Martial as he appears to be the only striker at the level required to have changed hands during the window.

I agree with arbs about Walcott.

He talks a good game and certainly negotiates an even better contract but for my money flatters to deceive. Now he has an excellent opportunity to step up to the plate and justify his £140K per week by scoring and playing consistently.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 03, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »

Berahino is one of the few players who could have improved Arsenal and a player they could have got given how keen he was to go to Spurs. 

No way AW was going to sign Berahino having just signed Walcott up to that monster deal. I very much doubt he'd have paid £25M for him either.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 03, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »

No way AW was going to sign Berahino having just signed Walcott up to that monster deal. I very much doubt he'd have paid £25M for him either.

Isn't this one of AW's problems though that Walcott hasn't cut the mustard and didn't deserve that new contract?  No bigger club than Arsenal is coming on the market for Walcott.  I was surprised how Arsenal bowed to the pressure from his side.  I would have called his bluff and said 'where else are you going to go sunshine if we don't pay you the £140k a week you want?'
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:18:32 PM by arbboy » Logged
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 03, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »

Isn't this one of AW's problems though that Walcott hasn't cut the mustard and didn't deserve that new contract?

He's shown glimpses of brilliance and occasionally plays a few decent games in a row but his career has been blighted by serious injuries; two shoulder surgeries and a knee.

I am not a great Walcott fan but the choice was to either sign him up or let his contract run down. I would not be surprised or sorry if he pulls up no trees this season to see him moved on as we'd get a decent price for him.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 03, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »

Isn't this one of AW's problems though that Walcott hasn't cut the mustard and didn't deserve that new contract?

He's shown glimpses of brilliance and occasionally plays a few decent games in a row but his career has been blighted by serious injuries; two shoulder surgeries and a knee.

I am not a great Walcott fan but the choice was to either sign him up or let his contract run down. I would not be surprised or sorry if he pulls up no trees this season to see him moved on as we'd get a decent price for him.

Who would be interested in him and for how much?  Why would he leave when no one is going to pay anything near the contract he has currently got?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 03, 2015, 07:35:42 PM »

Who would be interested in him and for how much?  Why would he leave when no one is going to pay anything near the contract he has currently got?

I don't think there would be any shortage of suitors, £25/30M is my guesstimate.

He's an automatic selection for the national team when fit, still got electric pace, scores goals, looks very good on his day and is in his prime.

Wages are just silly now but I'm sure someone would take a punt.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 03, 2015, 07:40:09 PM »

I don't LOL at many of your posts arb, but LOL @ this.

He was so keen to go to Spurs as it is a step up from WBA.

As Arsenal is a step up from Spurs, if Wenger had shown any interest, Berahino would have wanted to go there LDO.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 03, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »

As Arsenal is a step up from Spurs, if Wenger had shown any interest, Berahino would have wanted to go there LDO.

I totally agree with you.  Doesn't my post say that?!?  Confused?
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 03, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »

I totally agree with you.  Doesn't my post say that?!?  Confused?

Ahh, misread!

Take back the LOLs!

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: