blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:08:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 1048 1049 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2200231 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #15660 on: December 13, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »

Why call it a peoples vote rather than 2nd referendum - should probs post in the things that piss me off thread. So ridic and on par with spouting 'will of the people' shite about the 1st referendum

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #15661 on: December 13, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »

"glaring self-interest of its proposers"

This is a quote from JK Rowling from above, what does this mean. I hear it said a fair bit but I never hear it explained. I struggle to think in terms of there being a cabal of people with a common, medium term, significant, glaring self interest in proposing exiting the EU but I'd quite like to be put right - for balance if nothing else

sola virtus nobilitat
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #15662 on: December 13, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »

I have never claimed to have understood many aspects of Brexit, but I was shocked when I heard an MP on the radio state that, TM went to the EU to state we wanted out and what terms were they prepared to offer us. She didn't tell them what we wanted, it was all a very one sided negotiation process.

Is that the case, because that sounds completely daft to me? We were never gonna get a decent deal if that was the opening stance.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #15663 on: December 13, 2018, 08:37:46 PM »

Why call it a peoples vote rather than 2nd referendum - should probs post in the things that piss me off thread. So ridic and on par with spouting 'will of the people' shite about the 1st referendum

Maybe because it's a vote on what brexit is actually going be to rather than the brexit that was promised in the referendum.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #15664 on: December 14, 2018, 06:50:09 AM »

I have never claimed to have understood many aspects of Brexit, but I was shocked when I heard an MP on the radio state that, TM went to the EU to state we wanted out and what terms were they prepared to offer us. She didn't tell them what we wanted, it was all a very one sided negotiation process.

Is that the case, because that sounds completely daft to me? We were never gonna get a decent deal if that was the opening stance.

Good morning,

This is helpful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OTJIez1oRZ4

It’s only touched upon in the vid but........There isn’t much to negotiate on the act of leaving. Article 50 is only really a list of rules for leaving.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #15665 on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:18 AM »

Good morning,

This is helpful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OTJIez1oRZ4

It’s only touched upon in the vid but........There isn’t much to negotiate on the act of leaving. Article 50 is only really a list of rules for leaving.

This probably needs a warning that LBC is not a good source of information, I’d be confident this guy knows his stuff though.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #15666 on: December 14, 2018, 08:14:37 AM »

So the EU won’t give May anything on the backstop.

Some on here will say “why should they, it’s our problem” or words to that effect.

I think its a mistake not to give her something.

There is a bigger picture for the EU that I honestly believe they are missing. There are probably more threats to the EU project that ever before. Once a ball starts rolling and momentum gathers it can be hard to stop.

There is the rise of far right parties.

Merkel leaving will not help them.

Macron is under pressure in France.

Immigration is becoming a much bigger issue politically.

The Euro currency is a flawed concept. Trying to align the needs of Germany and say, Greece or Spain within one currency is madness. The Euro will fail at some point.

Italy is still a problem. Some of the debt exposure to places like Turkey isn’t going to go away. They can’t/won’t modernise their working practices.

The general view that the world economy is slowing means recession is a strong possibility. As long as America and China don’t do anything really stupid on trade wars we might hold that off for a year or two - Mr Trump tax cut stimulus for the next year or so will probably keep the economic ball rolling but those tax cuts end in 2020. So world economic conditions are a big threat.

So with that background you would expect them not to fancy a no deal Brexit. It will harm us and them in the short term but they have so many other plates to keep spinning, it’s short sighted not to offer something.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #15667 on: December 14, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »

The whole thing is incredibly daft!

I assume she didn't know how else to get started as she didn't really know what she wanted!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #15668 on: December 14, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »

Same thing for the current backstop situation

She is asking for concessions to get a deal done but does anyone know what she is actually asking them to change it to?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15669 on: December 14, 2018, 10:47:19 AM »

"glaring self-interest of its proposers"

This is a quote from JK Rowling from above, what does this mean. I hear it said a fair bit but I never hear it explained. I struggle to think in terms of there being a cabal of people with a common, medium term, significant, glaring self interest in proposing exiting the EU but I'd quite like to be put right - for balance if nothing else

Banks and Leave.eu/criminal over-spend, russian influence, hedge funds, ERG millionaires personal vested interests in no deal etc etc

some of the main proponents, not the overwhelming majority of leave voters.

this is what i take her tomean

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15670 on: December 14, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »

(with hindsight) they triggered A50 too early

she then set red lines early. EU had its red lines

EU will always protect the interests of its 27, and in this case Ireland especially but has actually compromised a lot on free movement in the WA.

Just not sure there was a good deal to be done without a lot more no deal planning before they triggered A50 (to give them the pretence that we could do it without sending the economy over a cliff)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15671 on: December 14, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »

still Marina Hyde continues on form

Takes aim, fires

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/13/erg-theresa-may-brexit

My eyes are open wide
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15672 on: December 14, 2018, 10:55:23 AM »

To absolutely no-one's surprise, other than Theresa May's it seems, the current EU summit is going about as well as Salzburg did for her.

Someone out there should throw in the towel to save her from further punishment.

What odds that the press statement she makes later today will include the Maybot standard quotes of "in the national interest", "delivers on the vote of the referendum" and delivers "control of our borders, our money and our laws" which have become the new "strong and stable" in terms of blindly quoted taglines which have absolutely no substantive meaning behind them.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15673 on: December 14, 2018, 12:27:19 PM »

With no deal looking favourite, and increasing by the day

is anyone now moderating spending behaviour or stockpiling?

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15674 on: December 14, 2018, 12:32:52 PM »

So the EU won’t give May anything on the backstop.

Some on here will say “why should they, it’s our problem” or words to that effect.

I think its a mistake not to give her something.

There is a bigger picture for the EU that I honestly believe they are missing. There are probably more threats to the EU project that ever before. Once a ball starts rolling and momentum gathers it can be hard to stop.

There is the rise of far right parties.

Merkel leaving will not help them.

Macron is under pressure in France.

Immigration is becoming a much bigger issue politically.

The Euro currency is a flawed concept. Trying to align the needs of Germany and say, Greece or Spain within one currency is madness. The Euro will fail at some point.

Italy is still a problem. Some of the debt exposure to places like Turkey isn’t going to go away. They can’t/won’t modernise their working practices.

The general view that the world economy is slowing means recession is a strong possibility. As long as America and China don’t do anything really stupid on trade wars we might hold that off for a year or two - Mr Trump tax cut stimulus for the next year or so will probably keep the economic ball rolling but those tax cuts end in 2020. So world economic conditions are a big threat.

So with that background you would expect them not to fancy a no deal Brexit. It will harm us and them in the short term but they have so many other plates to keep spinning, it’s short sighted not to offer something.

some sympathy for where this is coming from but for over two years there have been two mantras

1 protect the single market

2 protect the good friday agreement and Ireland

even today Luxembourg Prime Minister Xavier Bettel. "Brexit is your choice, not mine".

That's it. The reality of Brexit. They're not going to blink. They're not going to back-down. They're not going to cave. We can send May. We can send Boris. The deal is the deal.

As parliament cannot find a majority for it (or anything), as there isn't going to be a change of leader, or an election or a second ref* or any change of mind by the EU thats it

No deal

* perhaps thats the only shot but it needs May to see it as the only shot

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 1048 1049 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: