blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 1050 1051 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199675 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15690 on: December 14, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

"glaring self-interest of its proposers"

This is a quote from JK Rowling from above, what does this mean. I hear it said a fair bit but I never hear it explained. I struggle to think in terms of there being a cabal of people with a common, medium term, significant, glaring self interest in proposing exiting the EU but I'd quite like to be put right - for balance if nothing else

Banks and Leave.eu/criminal over-spend, russian influence, hedge funds, ERG millionaires personal vested interests in no deal etc etc

some of the main proponents, not the overwhelming majority of leave voters.

this is what i take her tomean

I get the accusation I guess but I don't understand the reality - for example - how exactly do ERG millionaires benefit from no-deal ? It might be unanswerable but I'd like to discover something concrete

Here's one,the introduction of ATAD in the EU in 2019

For Rees Mogg and Somerset Capital, for example,that has implications but not if we are not in by then

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/is-the-anti-tax-avoidance-directive-the-reason-the-rich-want-out-of-eu-1-5669763

Seems like it's clutching to me, if we don't think our anti tax avoidance rules are strong enough we can vote for a party that does take it seriously and legislate ourselves

sorry i don't understand

it has been widely publicised that a Rees Mogg/Somerset capital motivation behind his views is to NOT be subject to ATAD come 2019

nothing about strengthening ATAD, its about making Britain a low tax/tax haven type environment under which the very well off would benefit more, compared to being in a more stringent EU

This from a right wing perspective

so the argument goes

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: December 14, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »

I get the accusation I guess but I don't understand the reality - for example - how exactly do ERG millionaires benefit from no-deal ? It might be unanswerable but I'd like to discover something concrete

Speak to Adz.

Click to see full-size image.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: December 14, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »

With no deal looking favourite, and increasing by the day

is anyone now moderating spending behaviour or stockpiling?

Just don't think its anywhere near favorite atm.

May/Gov doesn't want to go anywhere near it, and parliament wont allow it.

Norway or similar ....and the fun of a 2nd Ref (just the 9 versions of questions possible ) will play out, before no deal is seriously contemplated. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: December 14, 2018, 04:58:53 PM »

Norway or similar ....and the fun of a 2nd Ref (just the 9 versions of questions possible ) will play out, before no deal is seriously contemplated. 

It's the default option

the Grieve amendment doesn't stop it

It absolutely is the favourite

My eyes are open wide
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: December 14, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »

Speak to Adz.

Click to see full-size image.

Cheesy

ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: December 14, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »

It's the default option

It absolutely is the favourite,

It's default unless the Gov intro legislation under pressure from a parliament vote against no deal , as I understand it. Surely May /the cabinet would be under immense pressure to go down that route?

The EU would agree to give more time for a 2nd ref...and maybe other options.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: December 14, 2018, 05:40:48 PM »

This is a quote from JK Rowling from above, what does this mean. I hear it said a fair bit but I never hear it explained. I struggle to think in terms of there being a cabal of people with a common, medium term, significant, glaring self interest in proposing exiting the EU but I'd quite like to be put right - for balance if nothing else

Banks and Leave.eu/criminal over-spend, russian influence, hedge funds, ERG millionaires personal vested interests in no deal etc etc

For Rees Mogg and Somerset Capital, for example,that has implications but not if we are not in by then

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/is-the-anti-tax-avoidance-directive-the-reason-the-rich-want-out-of-eu-1-5669763

Seems like it's clutching to me, if we don't think our anti tax avoidance rules are strong enough we can vote for a party that does take it seriously and legislate ourselves

sorry i don't understand

it has been widely publicised that a Rees Mogg/Somerset capital motivation behind his views is to NOT be subject to ATAD come 2019

nothing about strengthening ATAD, its about making Britain a low tax/tax haven type environment under which the very well off would benefit more, compared to being in a more stringent EU

so the argument goes

I’m no fan of JRM, but where has this been mentioned as a motivation for his views on the EU?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: December 14, 2018, 05:47:15 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/24/no-deal-brexit-poorer-jacob-rees-mogg-dividend

First few entries of "Rees mogg Brexiteers tax hsven" on Google

Haven't looked any further

My eyes are open wide
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: December 14, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »

It's the default option

This is what I don't believe.

I believe no deal would be horrific but I just don't believe they will let it happen.

So I'm doing nothing.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: December 14, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »

Its the only option that doesn't need a majority in parliament to happen. I know they don't want it, but the risk of accidental no deal is high and getting higher

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: December 14, 2018, 08:20:50 PM »

sorry i don't understand

so the argument goes

I get that, and of course Rees Mogg et al like the low tax/haven model but they can't make this happen and perpetuate it on their own, whether inside or outside the EU.  If the country decides it doesn't want this kind of society then we can vote in a Government that wouldn't permit this vision to become fact - we don't need the EU to save us from ourselves.

If we make the legit argument that many of the problems in this country are due to the type of national Government we have rather than being attributable to the EU then the obvious balance to that is we don't need the EU to tell us how to behave/legislate - we just need a Government that doesn't cause / add to the problems.

It just seems a lazy and overly personalised crap argument to me - one that I see trotted out by the left (not the real left who want to leave of course) all the time.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: December 14, 2018, 08:29:15 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/24/no-deal-brexit-poorer-jacob-rees-mogg-dividend

First few entries of "Rees mogg Brexiteers tax hsven" on Google

Haven't looked any further

Unfortunately this article is a one sided, prejudiced smear.

sola virtus nobilitat
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: December 14, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »

Speak to Adz.

I'm starting to think I am actually more up to speed than most now though, as I guess several here didn't understand that May just went in asking for their best offer.

She has shown herself inept at best.

One thing that has become clear is all the twats moaning about a 2nd ref can never claim to want democracy in the future.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: December 14, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »

Speak to Adz.

I'm starting to think I am actually more up to speed than most now though, as I guess several here didn't understand that May just went in asking for their best offer.

She has shown herself inept at best.

One thing that has become clear is all the twats moaning about a 2nd ref can never claim to want democracy in the future.

Read Glenn's post Cheesy

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: December 15, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »

It's the default option

If 'no deal' actually happens are we really going to see empty supermarket shelves? What do we need to stock pile?

This is kind of a tongue in cheek question as I won't stock pile anything myself but what are people who believe the hype going to hoarding?

I heard some silly things about specific products like Marmite or whatever it was but is there anything essential that the scaremongers are claiming we may face shortages of?

Are we going to run out of bread?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 1050 1051 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: