blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:52:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1228 1229 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 1235 1236 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2181052 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18465 on: June 27, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »

Clever people!

“Modern times. A google search containing words 'Boris Johnson Bus' will now not bring up his £350m lie. This is now buried behind pages of 'I make model buses' quotes that suggest the eccentric fellow has odd hobbies. Simple manipulation.”

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #18466 on: June 27, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »

Prospect Magazine

"A lot of what’s coming can’t be predicted, but one thing is for sure: Britain is heading for a massive political crisis either next month or in October - and Johnson’s toast."

I like the URL,nice and dramatic

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/make-no-mistake-britain-is-on-the-cusp-of-a-constitutional-crisis-of-epic-proportions

Seems a decent analysis, so what future path is open to us?

Leaving under the strict terms of the WA shouldn’t be acceptable to anyone, with or without resolving the Irish question.

Revoke is the only path that the country can actually choose to take. I’m not suggesting that it is the way forward, but it does at least have the advantage of being in our control.

Making that move with firm leadership and following it up with a genuine effort to get revisions in the EU systems might be the only card Boris has left. A Damascene conversion and, to mix the biblical metaphors, a chance to lead us into a promised land.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #18467 on: June 27, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »

Divided Britain in one chart

(You Gov, yesterday)

subtitle: No shit, Sherlock

In other news, Pope believed to be Catholic.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18468 on: June 27, 2019, 11:08:57 AM »

Prospect Magazine

"A lot of what’s coming can’t be predicted, but one thing is for sure: Britain is heading for a massive political crisis either next month or in October - and Johnson’s toast."

I like the URL,nice and dramatic

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/make-no-mistake-britain-is-on-the-cusp-of-a-constitutional-crisis-of-epic-proportions

Seems a decent analysis, so what future path is open to us?

Leaving under the strict terms of the WA shouldn’t be acceptable to anyone, with or without resolving the Irish question.

Revoke is the only path that the country can actually choose to take. I’m not suggesting that it is the way forward, but it does at least have the advantage of being in our control.

Making that move with firm leadership and following it up with a genuine effort to get revisions in the EU systems might be the only card Boris has left. A Damascene conversion and, to mix the biblical metaphors, a chance to lead us into a promised land.

Leaving under the terms of the WA is acceptable to some, me included. Gets us out, a stepping stone until technology solves the border issue..and allows other stuff to be negotiated.

We don't go anywhere if the EU won't renegotiate it, if no deal can't pass parliament..the options are referendum (neither Boris or Corbyn will want one, though leave might win again), Election (Boris would be brave before Breixt, most likely outcome would be a complicated left leaning coalition that might want to revoke) or...

As it can't pass though, I believe the first place that discussed revoke as a "blue sky" scenario under a PM with a strong personal brand who could sell it was...on here?

My eyes are open wide
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #18469 on: June 27, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »

a view i saw overnight was

"With Boris Johnson pushing for no deal, the remain movement must now shift away from advocating a People’s Vote in favour of arguing to revoke Article 50 — so a 2nd referendum instead becomes the compromise, the notion of cancelling Brexit is normalised & they control the framing"

Yeah, definitely this. As said before Brexit doesn’t become less of a disaster or any easier to implement just because there is a 2nd referendum.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #18470 on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:48 PM »

If we label Brexit as disastrous what are we tagging revocation as?

Aside from money (which is a point hammered to death) what are the advantages of revocation?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18471 on: June 27, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »

That it is leverage over the EU (or might be). We currently have none (as it has turned out) No deal impacts 8% of EU exports, 40% of ours, they appear prepared to let that 8% swing....

We say we'll revoke (gives us leverage) if we to get meaningful change from an ongoing relationship, then Boris sells it...

That we avoid all of the no deal downsides, should it prove impossible to get a deal through the EU and Parliament, which looks very likely

The downside is also big, impact on democracy, attitudes to voting etc

I think revoke would win a ref v no deal, by the way

I think revoke might lose a ref v a deal, for the "impact on democracy" view above though

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #18472 on: June 27, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »

Sure, revoke would win a ref vs no deal

But that’s because EU will sack off the 8% not because it’s what people want

Wonder if the gravity of that dirtiness can be grasped. EU content to hurt their people and our people to effectively force UK into voting for something they don’t want. Yep would agree that’s a big impact on democracy.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18473 on: June 27, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »

well, right or wrong, they value their unity and protecting each of the 27, specifically here Ireland and its border and the good friday agreement, over that portion of their exports and the economic impact associated should it be lost

It's not dirty, its just a meeting of the ideological and the practical.

At least they have a coherent view....We haven't had one!

My eyes are open wide
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #18474 on: June 27, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »

Starting to see 'the EU are forcing us to vote for something we don't want' on Twitter, not sure how that squares with taking back control.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #18475 on: June 27, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »

well, right or wrong, they value their unity and protecting each of the 27, specifically here Ireland and its border and the good friday agreement, over that portion of their exports and the economic impact associated should it be lost

It's not dirty, its just a meeting of the ideological and the practical.

At least they have a coherent view....We haven't had one!

Yep they’re putting a notional view of how things should be above optimising economics.

If they were a UK citizen I think EU would’ve voted Leave in the first referendum

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18476 on: June 27, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »

Clever people!

“Modern times. A google search containing words 'Boris Johnson Bus' will now not bring up his £350m lie. This is now buried behind pages of 'I make model buses' quotes that suggest the eccentric fellow has odd hobbies. Simple manipulation.”

Keep up!  Smiley

Maybe Boris' hobbies weren't as random as we thought, although this would mean that we'd have to credit him with next level strategic thinking.

https://twitter.com/BeffernieBlack/status/1143808921074843648

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18477 on: June 27, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »

Clever people!

Keep up!  Smiley

Maybe Boris' hobbies weren't as random as we thought, although this would mean that we'd have to credit him with next level strategic thinking.

https://twitter.com/BeffernieBlack/status/1143808921074843648

Keep up back, posted it before you yesterday :-)

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18478 on: June 27, 2019, 02:43:44 PM »

And it keeps coming

Brexit: Japanese foreign minister warns against no-deal

Japanese companies in the UK will be threatened by a no-deal Brexit, Japan's foreign minister has warned.

Taro Kono told the Today programme that some companies have already started moving their operation to others parts of Europe.

"We do not want to disrupt the economic relationship with the UK. We've been asking the UK government to let the Japanese companies know what to expect."

interview on this link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-48784175/brexit-japanese-foreign-minister-warns-against-no-deal

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18479 on: June 27, 2019, 02:45:48 PM »

Tom Watson and dozens of Labour MPs denounce the reinstatement decision for Chris Williamson the anti-semite  and put blame at Jeremy Corbyn’s door

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1228 1229 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 1235 1236 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: