blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1426 1427 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 1433 1434 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2198500 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21435 on: October 15, 2019, 06:37:54 PM »

Also they are on the verge, if Stormont isn't recalled for next week, of legalising abortion AND gay marriage in Northern Ireland. So pretty much everything the DUP stands against. Would be a spectacular double.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21436 on: October 15, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »

"It is understood that the negotiating teams have agreed in principle that there will be a customs border down the Irish Sea. A similar arrangement was rejected by Theresa May after the DUP blocked it." 

If this is correct the DUP have now managed to turn a spell of rare influence in government into a hard border between the rest of the UK and Northern Ireland 😁caving or being discarded by the government to break the famous Brexit trilemna Venn diagram

Can Mr Johnson get this through Parliament?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21437 on: October 15, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »

No idea. I think it will get the ERG. It needs enough ex tories and Labour MPs to vote for it too. As logically no deal is a no no for HOC then I think the most likely answer is yes?

Playing that through If there's a Deal which passes I'd expect a trampoline-like bounce for the Tories + the worst environment for the Left to have an Election. Clear cut through of doing Brexit, and a pivot to the left on economics with expansionary policies proclaiming no more austerity will be an Exocet missile at Labour's Midlands and Northern voters.

My eyes are open wide
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #21438 on: October 15, 2019, 07:49:43 PM »

Broken through the 1.275 barrier....

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #21439 on: October 15, 2019, 08:21:37 PM »

a million?
Selling off much of the council housing stock has pretty disastrous consequences?
Thatcher's first few years were pretty bad for many. 
Austerity has had some bad outcomes and lead to the narrow win in the Brexit vote?  You can start your timeline whever your political persuasion decides it should go?
The troubles could have been resolved sooner?
Devolution and the possibility of Scottish independence?
Selling off so many public services cheaply?
HS2 is an ongoing shambles?

I just hate him so much Doobs. So yeah, all those things you have listed combined times a million still arent as bad as Tony Blair. (Imo)

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #21440 on: October 15, 2019, 08:59:52 PM »

If Mark Francois is a close confidant of any deal I wouldn't want any part of it.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #21441 on: October 15, 2019, 09:36:36 PM »

If Mark Francois is a close confidant of any deal I wouldn't want any part of it.

Mark Francois looking rattled. You can bet if it had gone the way he wanted he would have not stopped talking about it

https://twitter.com/Johnmfitzp/status/1184181315299622914
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21442 on: October 15, 2019, 11:14:55 PM »

Does anyone remember voting for Brexit three and a half years ago? You ticked the box to leave the European Union.

This deal is absolutely hilarious. It's looking at your ballot paper and basically tearing it up. Your vote to leave the European Union isn't a real one. e are never going to really leave the European Union. It's a bit like leaving your house but leaving all your belongings there.

17.4m voted for what they thought was the best sandwich in town, but instead got the same old sandwich.

We've now got a deal that just might get through. But it's not really us leaving. I love it.

Three and a half years of Brexit voters telling remainers how we lost, but here we are. We haven't lost. We actually won the game in extra time.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21443 on: October 16, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »

So the night passed without a deal and the news full of a succession of glum ERG's and DUP's trotting out of Downing street

TND reported as follows

"Excl: Big split opens up among Tory Eurosceptics over whether to back Boris’s Brexit deal, as Owen Paterson brands it “absurd” and “unacceptable”. Iain Duncan-Smith also said to have “exploded” at No10 officials."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/10143970/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-causes-major-split/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21444 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »

He further wrote

Tom Newton Dunn

Having spoken to Cabinet ministers and No10 figures, it's clear now that the intense fear of a Benn Act extension is what is driving Johnson to get a Brexit deal in place this week. So will the Rebel 21 have been the key to an Oct 31 deal or just a worse one? We will see soon.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21445 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:53 AM »

an irony, amongst several ironies is if we end up with an NI-only backstop in all but name, we have essentially managed a triumphant last minute negotiation that’s secured……the EU’s opening offer

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21446 on: October 16, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »

i thought this was cogent, and sums up the DUP's headache

"Ability to negotiate our own trade deals requires UK to leave Customs Union. Therefore a hard border is required In Ireland. This violates the Good Friday agreement. Therefore Brexit is impossible without breaking up the UK."

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21447 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »

of course it is probably worth revisiting what Boris Johnson said about precisely the deal (border in the irish sea) he seems to be edging towards now, only one year ago:

He described it as "the greatest national humiliation since Suez."

but electorally its far tougher if he has to delay again, i think, so its the powerful driver to compromise heavily now

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21448 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:44 AM »

an irony, amongst several ironies is if we end up with an NI-only backstop in all but name, we have essentially managed a triumphant last minute negotiation that’s secured……the EU’s opening offer

or put another way by Eaton

"If Boris Johnson has accepted a Northern Ireland-only backstop, the UK will have wasted almost two years opposing the solution offered by the EU in February 2018."

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21449 on: October 16, 2019, 09:43:02 AM »

So the night passed without a deal and the news full of a succession of glum ERG's and DUP's trotting out of Downing street

TND reported as follows

"Excl: Big split opens up among Tory Eurosceptics over whether to back Boris’s Brexit deal, as Owen Paterson brands it “absurd” and “unacceptable”. Iain Duncan-Smith also said to have “exploded” at No10 officials."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/10143970/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-causes-major-split/

IDS has since denied this, according to the BBC.

He denied reports in the Sun newspaper that he "exploded" at Downing Street officials during Tuesday's meeting, saying he was in fact rushing to get on the London Underground to get back to his constituency.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 1426 1427 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 1433 1434 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: