blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1134 1135 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 1141 1142 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180154 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17055 on: April 03, 2019, 07:32:38 AM »

Absolutely thrilled to have seen today scenes - This really is the end of Brexit - Thank God.

The leave voters who voted for that god damn bus - They won't admit they was fooled by it.

The leave voters who say let's keep the £39bn from the EU - But in reality deal or no deal, they will still have to pay out most of it.

The leave voters who believed that we should stop sending money to the EU every week - But don't realise the country gets a lot of it back for certain projects and so on.

The leave voters who believed Turkey was joining the EU - They're not.

The leave voters who want control of their laws - But yet, when questioned, they don't really know what laws they want changing.

The leave voters who think the best way of protesting against this is by climbing downing street gates, fighting in Parliament Square, hurling racist abuse at families and their special Guest? Yes, it's the highly honourable Tommy Robinson.

You couldn't make it up really, so forgive me whilst I enjoy this.

And whilst it all happens, these leave voters will fight you in the street if you mention that People's Vote. That actual vote that might get you that Brexit with what you want.

52% voted for Brexit - But you won't be getting it.

Can't believe you're celebrating while my tinned peach futures have taken a battering.

sola virtus nobilitat
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #17056 on: April 03, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/02/opinion/brexit-news.html
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17057 on: April 03, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »

How May's latest move is described in the Guardian

Having kicked the can down the road for months on end in a desperate effort to keep her party together, she was now kicking it firmly into the Labour leader’s face.

It was a bizarre speech to listen to, even by her standards.

After 7 hours of negotiations, it can only be a tactic to ultimately try to get her MPs to support her deal as a last resort.  Go through the motions of talking to Corbyn, which will enrage half of his party anyway, give the ERG the perception that they're losing the hardest form of Brexit they'll be able to get (i.e. her deal) and bring back MV4 at the last minute.

I can't see any other logic to it.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17058 on: April 03, 2019, 12:18:04 PM »

I think you are right, just more leverage on the hardliners. It’s bizarre to listen to her at PMQ’s as well, just listing complete and utter bullshit as supposed achievements of her government. Good line about JC singing the praises of the last Labour government though, he’s foolish to do that.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17059 on: April 03, 2019, 12:23:36 PM »

Good fun exchanges with Nigel Adams :-) She missed a perfect spot for ‘he has enough on his plate already’.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #17060 on: April 03, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »

When people mention polls be back up their arguement can we get a link or reference to the poll? It completely invalidates using it as evidence if you don’t.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/361

This was what I looked at when referencing over 70% thought immigration too high etc

You do know that poll is three years old, and that Migration Watch is the ‘go to’ think tank for the Mail and the Express?
As Sir Humphrey demonstrated to Bernard in Yes, Prime Minister it is pretty easy to get poll results that suit your agenda. The hard task is creating a poll that gets a genuine representation of the views of the nation.

Yes I saw the age and source. We were talking about the view of the public in the lead up to Brexit - the age is very relevant given that context.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #17061 on: April 03, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »

By any reasonable measure, it is pretty outrageous that MP’s could back a Norway style deal.

Freedom of movement still allowed? Really Huh??

There is no regard in Parliament for the will of the people - people voted for Brexit for control of our own destiny, our own borders, our own laws.

No one voted for Brexit expecting a deal to involve continued freedom of movement, in fact, both main parties agreed to end it.

As usual it’s the political elite saying fuck you to voters. We’ll do what we want, not what you voted for.

I missed the referendum where people had so much choice - didn't people just vote to leave?

You think people that voted to leave wanted to retain EU controls/law making?

They voted to leave and that clearly involved ending freedom of movement. The polls indicated that was what people wanted and the main stream parties adopted that policy. There really wasn’t any grey area in that respect.

Every person that voted leave that I have spoken to was clear that us taking control was what they wanted.

The idea that free movement of people should be an option beggars belief.

Many people, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg (for example) have long had a problem with Parliamentary sovereignty being replaced by EU sovereignty - that's why a lot of people voted leave.

I just had a look at opinion polls - they suggest that half* of those who voted for leave did so because of immigration.

So if less than 9 million people have a problem with freedom of movement in the EU and well over 50 million people don't - to me that doesn't seem too unreasonable for it to be an option.

*about 48% mentioned it - only about a third said it was the important reason.

Hey mate, how do you arrive at a figure of 50m don’t have a problem with freedom of movement?

You saying if they didn’t offer an opinion you’re going to give them one? Hmmm.

Okay then - strictly speaking the polling shows less than 9 million people have a problem with freedom of movement and slightly more than that say they don't; and of the remaining 50ish million people the majority either don't care enough to want to leave the EU about it  or think that the benefit of staying in the EU outweighs the issue anyway.

Maybe that's slightly more nuanced than who cares and who doesn't - but I don't really see how it changes the argument.

Less than 9 million people out of a population of over 66 million think it's important - still doesn't seem overly outrageous for it to be up for debate.

See my post above. A majority had a problem with it.

Whatever the number, even if it’s ‘only’ 9m, it’s clearly a poor show. Irrespective of individual views on Brexit, I’m sure at least we can agree that this problem needs to be addressed.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17062 on: April 03, 2019, 07:07:35 PM »

Going back to the earlier discussion regarding John Bercow's performance as Speaker, it's worth highlighting him making a casting vote tonight against further indicative votes.  Based on perceptions of where his opinion lies it would be easy to expect him to vote in favour of this, but he cited precedent of not allowing major decisions to be made in the absence of a majority in casting his vote with the Noes.

Easily overlooked, as it was a perfect opportunity to be centre of attention again and create much controversy, which we know he can be partial to.  If he'd had voted based on his own preference I'm sure he'd have voted Aye.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #17063 on: April 03, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »

Click to see full-size image.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #17064 on: April 03, 2019, 11:25:55 PM »

Bless you Aaron for remaining totally clueless about what any remainer actually believes, knows or wants.

The only people I have ever heard or read that think like that are the Remoaners telling us how Leavers think.

For all your white noise over the last few months, the ONLY thing I can take from all your posts has been your moaning about a people's vote. That's it.

You have been as interesting to interact with as that twat waving his board shouting STOP BREXIT. Ever seen an interview with him?

So if all this waste of money and time leaves you pleased because you got what you want, democracy undermined, then more fool you. Enjoy your short-lived victory, if that's how you see it.

But for all your bleating you really haven't got a clue. If you ever bothered to look beyond your own cosy little pink world you would see there are troubled times ahead, and soon you won't be quite so smug.

I’d say it’s you that remains clueless to it all, if you genuinely believe that some leave voters didn’t vote because of the reasons I’ve cited. You take all those out of the result & we would have stayed in the EU.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #17065 on: April 04, 2019, 07:11:13 AM »

When people mention polls be back up their arguement can we get a link or reference to the poll? It completely invalidates using it as evidence if you don’t.

This was what I looked at when referencing over 70% thought immigration too high etc

You do know that poll is three years old, and that Migration Watch is the ‘go to’ think tank for the Mail and the Express?
As Sir Humphrey demonstrated to Bernard in Yes, Prime Minister it is pretty easy to get poll results that suit your agenda. The hard task is creating a poll that gets a genuine representation of the views of the nation.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/poll-three-quarters-of-brits-back-dramatic-fall-in-immigration/amp/

Here’s another dodgy right wing poll on the UK public’s opinion on immigration in 2018 (Channel 4 News poll).

The majority of the public, around 75%, (including remain voters) backed a dramatic drop in immigration numbers.

You can perhaps understand my perspective on why any deal which retains freedom of movement from the EU is politicians ignoring the view of the people.

These poll numbers are the reason why the main stream parties both adopted the policy to end EU freedom of movement.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #17066 on: April 04, 2019, 07:12:01 AM »

Bless you Aaron for remaining totally clueless about what any remainer actually believes, knows or wants.

The only people I have ever heard or read that think like that are the Remoaners telling us how Leavers think.

For all your white noise over the last few months, the ONLY thing I can take from all your posts has been your moaning about a people's vote. That's it.

You have been as interesting to interact with as that twat waving his board shouting STOP BREXIT. Ever seen an interview with him?

So if all this waste of money and time leaves you pleased because you got what you want, democracy undermined, then more fool you. Enjoy your short-lived victory, if that's how you see it.

But for all your bleating you really haven't got a clue. If you ever bothered to look beyond your own cosy little pink world you would see there are troubled times ahead, and soon you won't be quite so smug.

I’d say it’s you that remains clueless to it all, if you genuinely believe that some leave voters didn’t vote because of the reasons I’ve cited. You take all those out of the result & we would have stayed in the EU.

But that’s just not how it works is it?  You can’t ‘take out’ the votes of anyone because you have no idea how people arrived at their decision to vote for either side of the debate, or indeed to not vote at all.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #17067 on: April 04, 2019, 08:12:51 AM »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/poll-three-quarters-of-brits-back-dramatic-fall-in-immigration/amp/

Here’s another dodgy right wing poll on the UK public’s opinion on immigration in 2018 (Channel 4 News poll).

The majority of the public, around 75%, (including remain voters) backed a dramatic drop in immigration numbers.

You can perhaps understand my perspective on why any deal which retains freedom of movement from the EU is politicians ignoring the view of the people.

These poll numbers are the reason why the main stream parties both adopted the policy to end EU freedom of movement.

As I have said before, and again, as Sir Humphrey explained, poll questions can be tailored to a cause.

As a for instance, Q14 says “Which of the following do you MOST agree with” and gives a binary choice of

It is more important to control immigration from EU countries because it has put too much of a strain on our resources like housing and the NHS,
OR
It is more important that we allow in however many people from EU countries that we need to fill the available jobs to help drive the economy

The first option assumes that all our resource issues in housing and the NHS stem from EU freedom of movement (they don’t)
The second introduces the idea that EU citizens are filling all available jobs

Polls are like bikinis, what they reveal may be interesting. What they conceal is vital.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #17068 on: April 04, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »

Total rubbish, and if you expanded your rhetoric beyond your own 4 walls you will read and see thousands of people telling you they knew enough.

Even now we know very little about what will ACTUALLY  happen, so I still dont see how remoaners can remain so adamant it won't work. Clearly we have 17 million Nostrdamus' in the UK.

Finally, who do we let vote next time for your Peoples Vote. To my mind it should only be those that could be bothered to vote last time. Why should someone who couldn't be bothered last time now have a say on the same subject?

So many Leavers have gotten so dejected by democracy being trampled on they won't bother again, so that won't be fair either, will or?

But you won't care as long as you get your way and have have a very grown up gloat.....

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #17069 on: April 04, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »

As I have said before, and again, as Sir Humphrey explained, poll questions can be tailored to a cause.

As a for instance, Q14 says “Which of the following do you MOST agree with” and gives a binary choice of

It is more important to control immigration from EU countries because it has put too much of a strain on our resources like housing and the NHS,
OR
It is more important that we allow in however many people from EU countries that we need to fill the available jobs to help drive the economy

The first option assumes that all our resource issues in housing and the NHS stem from EU freedom of movement (they don’t)
The second introduces the idea that EU citizens are filling all available jobs

Polls are like bikinis, what they reveal may be interesting. What they conceal is vital.

I agree with all the above.

I'd say asking about levels of immigration is going to get significantly different results to asking if you agreed with UK people should be allowed to work in Spain, buy property there or use their health service?   All could also be used as proxies for asking people if they agreed with freedom of movement.  Likewise you will always get a big majority for "should my personal taxes be reduced or stay the same?" and also a big majority for "should the Government increase spending on the NHS and education?"

I think the best way to interpret the comments of all these politicians who are insisting that their particular redline is sacrosant is to read them in the voice of a 14 year old.   This works particularly well with Boris Johnson and Emily Thornbury.   Mentally add a "its not fair" to their commments and imagine a stampy foot while they are saying it.

Its a compromise to get an agreement, we are all likely to be unhappy with parts of it.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 1134 1135 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 1141 1142 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: