blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 1137 1138 [1139] 1140 1141 1142 1143 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180485 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17070 on: April 04, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »

When people mention polls be back up their arguement can we get a link or reference to the poll? It completely invalidates using it as evidence if you don’t.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/361

This was what I looked at when referencing over 70% thought immigration too high etc

You do know that poll is three years old, and that Migration Watch is the ‘go to’ think tank for the Mail and the Express?
As Sir Humphrey demonstrated to Bernard in Yes, Prime Minister it is pretty easy to get poll results that suit your agenda. The hard task is creating a poll that gets a genuine representation of the views of the nation.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/poll-three-quarters-of-brits-back-dramatic-fall-in-immigration/amp/

Here’s another dodgy right wing poll on the UK public’s opinion on immigration in 2018 (Channel 4 News poll).

The majority of the public, around 75%, (including remain voters) backed a dramatic drop in immigration numbers.

You can perhaps understand my perspective on why any deal which retains freedom of movement from the EU is politicians ignoring the view of the people.

These poll numbers are the reason why the main stream parties both adopted the policy to end EU freedom of movement.

As I have said before, and again, as Sir Humphrey explained, poll questions can be tailored to a cause.

As a for instance, Q14 says “Which of the following do you MOST agree with” and gives a binary choice of

It is more important to control immigration from EU countries because it has put too much of a strain on our resources like housing and the NHS,
OR
It is more important that we allow in however many people from EU countries that we need to fill the available jobs to help drive the economy

The first option assumes that all our resource issues in housing and the NHS stem from EU freedom of movement (they don’t)
The second introduces the idea that EU citizens are filling all available jobs

Polls are like bikinis, what they reveal may be interesting. What they conceal is vital.

I agree with all the above.

I'd say asking about levels of immigration is going to get significantly different results to asking if you agreed with UK people should be allowed to work in Spain, buy property there or use their health service?   All could also be used as proxies for asking people if they agreed with freedom of movement.  Likewise you will always get a big majority for "should my personal taxes be reduced or stay the same?" and also a big majority for "should the Government increase spending on the NHS and education?"

I think the best way to interpret the comments of all these politicians who are insisting that their particular redline is sacrosant is to read them in the voice of a 14 year old.   This works particularly well with Boris Johnson and Emily Thornbury.   Mentally add a "its not fair" to their commments and imagine a stampy foot while they are saying it.

Its a compromise to get an agreement, we are all likely to be unhappy with parts of it.   

Interesting that. So many candidates for who sounds the most idiotic in all this. Certainly on the Labour side, two people I quite liked before are driving me mad. Creasey and Thornberry. Too many to mention on the Tory side.

sola virtus nobilitat
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #17071 on: April 04, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »

Bless you Aaron for remaining totally clueless about what any remainer actually believes, knows or wants.

The only people I have ever heard or read that think like that are the Remoaners telling us how Leavers think.

For all your white noise over the last few months, the ONLY thing I can take from all your posts has been your moaning about a people's vote. That's it.

You have been as interesting to interact with as that twat waving his board shouting STOP BREXIT. Ever seen an interview with him?

So if all this waste of money and time leaves you pleased because you got what you want, democracy undermined, then more fool you. Enjoy your short-lived victory, if that's how you see it.

But for all your bleating you really haven't got a clue. If you ever bothered to look beyond your own cosy little pink world you would see there are troubled times ahead, and soon you won't be quite so smug.

I’d say it’s you that remains clueless to it all, if you genuinely believe that some leave voters didn’t vote because of the reasons I’ve cited. You take all those out of the result & we would have stayed in the EU.

Total rubbish, and if you expanded your rhetoric beyond your own 4 walls you will read and see thousands of people telling you they knew enough.

Even now we know very little about what will ACTUALLY  happen, so I still dont see how remoaners can remain so adamant it won't work. Clearly we have 17 million Nostrdamus' in the UK.

Finally, who do we let vote next time for your Peoples Vote. To my mind it should only be those that could be bothered to vote last time. Why should someone who couldn't be bothered last time now have a say on the same subject?

So many Leavers have gotten so dejected by democracy being trampled on they won't bother again, so that won't be fair either, will or?

But you won't care as long as you get your way and have have a very grown up gloat.....

I didn't vote last time but now a no deal brexit is a distinct possibility, I'd be fully on board a leave vote. I always fancied being a disaster capitalist.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #17072 on: April 04, 2019, 04:24:58 PM »

25 Labour MP's written to Jezza.....basically agree the WA with the/a Custom Union and we will vote May's deal through. (no ref or extension)

Crunch time!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:33:15 PM by ripple11 » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17073 on: April 04, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »

25 Labour MP's written to Jezza.....basically agree the WA with the/a Custom Union and we will vote May's deal through. (no ref or extension)

Crunch time!

Is there a source for this? I think enough Conservatives would oppose it anyway but some scope for it ending up being more than 25 from Labour backing it.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17074 on: April 04, 2019, 04:49:23 PM »

Crunch time!

Is there a source for this? I think enough Conservatives would oppose it anyway but some scope for it ending up being more than 25 from Labour backing it.

OK, found it from Reuters, I’ve been out of the loop today.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #17075 on: April 04, 2019, 05:21:26 PM »

Bless you Aaron for remaining totally clueless about what any remainer actually believes, knows or wants.

The only people I have ever heard or read that think like that are the Remoaners telling us how Leavers think.

For all your white noise over the last few months, the ONLY thing I can take from all your posts has been your moaning about a people's vote. That's it.

You have been as interesting to interact with as that twat waving his board shouting STOP BREXIT. Ever seen an interview with him?

So if all this waste of money and time leaves you pleased because you got what you want, democracy undermined, then more fool you. Enjoy your short-lived victory, if that's how you see it.

But for all your bleating you really haven't got a clue. If you ever bothered to look beyond your own cosy little pink world you would see there are troubled times ahead, and soon you won't be quite so smug.

I’d say it’s you that remains clueless to it all, if you genuinely believe that some leave voters didn’t vote because of the reasons I’ve cited. You take all those out of the result & we would have stayed in the EU.

Total rubbish, and if you expanded your rhetoric beyond your own 4 walls you will read and see thousands of people telling you they knew enough.

Even now we know very little about what will ACTUALLY  happen, so I still dont see how remoaners can remain so adamant it won't work. Clearly we have 17 million Nostrdamus' in the UK.

Finally, who do we let vote next time for your Peoples Vote. To my mind it should only be those that could be bothered to vote last time. Why should someone who couldn't be bothered last time now have a say on the same subject?

So many Leavers have gotten so dejected by democracy being trampled on they won't bother again, so that won't be fair either, will or?

But you won't care as long as you get your way and have have a very grown up gloat.....

I didn't vote last time but it wasn't because I couldn't be bothered, I genuinely had no idea what I was voting for so didn't know which box to tick. I'm of the opinion that there should never have been a vote until there was some reasonable information rather than just a bunch of propaganda to base your decision on.

I have more of an idea now although still don't know which way I'd go if the crunch came.

Based on the above will you let me have my vote back please?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #17076 on: April 04, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »

When people mention polls be back up their arguement can we get a link or reference to the poll? It completely invalidates using it as evidence if you don’t.

This was what I looked at when referencing over 70% thought immigration too high etc

You do know that poll is three years old, and that Migration Watch is the ‘go to’ think tank for the Mail and the Express?
As Sir Humphrey demonstrated to Bernard in Yes, Prime Minister it is pretty easy to get poll results that suit your agenda. The hard task is creating a poll that gets a genuine representation of the views of the nation.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/poll-three-quarters-of-brits-back-dramatic-fall-in-immigration/amp/

Here’s another dodgy right wing poll on the UK public’s opinion on immigration in 2018 (Channel 4 News poll).

The majority of the public, around 75%, (including remain voters) backed a dramatic drop in immigration numbers.

You can perhaps understand my perspective on why any deal which retains freedom of movement from the EU is politicians ignoring the view of the people.

These poll numbers are the reason why the main stream parties both adopted the policy to end EU freedom of movement.

As I have said before, and again, as Sir Humphrey explained, poll questions can be tailored to a cause.

As a for instance, Q14 says “Which of the following do you MOST agree with” and gives a binary choice of

It is more important to control immigration from EU countries because it has put too much of a strain on our resources like housing and the NHS,
OR
It is more important that we allow in however many people from EU countries that we need to fill the available jobs to help drive the economy

The first option assumes that all our resource issues in housing and the NHS stem from EU freedom of movement (they don’t)

Polls are like bikinis, what they reveal may be interesting. What they conceal is vital.

So basically if the poll doesn't suit your opinion it can be as good as dismissed as bordering on meaningless then.

Not much point in posting poll results on that basis as we can all say, "what they conceal is vital", especially when the findings don't suit your point of view or beliefs.

Here's one direct from YouGov's own website in 2018. Findings are similar (with marginally reduction in numbers not happy with immigration numbers). Perhaps you could pull YouGov's questioning on this one to pieces?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/04/27/where-public-stands-immigration

What all three polls I have posted demostrate is a consistent disatifaction with UK immigration policy of successive Governments when EU freedom of movement has been allowed.

This cant be dismissed as manipulation. These were peoples views. You seem as adept as the politicians at ignoring the reality of public opinion.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17077 on: April 04, 2019, 09:28:07 PM »

OR

So basically if the poll doesn't suit your opinion it can be as good as dismissed as bordering on meaningless then.

Not much point in posting poll results on that basis as we can all say, "what they conceal is vital", especially when the findings don't suit your point of view or beliefs.

Here's one direct from YouGov's own website in 2018. Findings are similar (with marginally reduction in numbers not happy with immigration numbers). Perhaps you could pull YouGov's questioning on this one to pieces?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/04/27/where-public-stands-immigration

What all three polls I have posted demostrate is a consistent disatifaction with UK immigration policy of successive Governments when EU freedom of movement has been allowed.

This cant be dismissed as manipulation. These were peoples views. You seem as adept as the politicians at ignoring the reality of public opinion.

What’s more interesting to me is what it is that people don’t like about immigration. We’ve (Tighty) shown before that immigrants are economically bigger per capita net contributors than UK citizens. Seems like we need their contribution, so should welcome it.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #17078 on: April 04, 2019, 10:34:23 PM »

But that’s just not how it works is it?  You can’t ‘take out’ the votes of anyone because you have no idea how people arrived at their decision to vote for either side of the debate, or indeed to not vote at all.

But the whole point is that the vote was ultimately decided by the uninformed and stupid.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #17079 on: April 04, 2019, 10:38:04 PM »

You just don’t want to admit that you was part of a group of people who ultimately got their way because of lies and stupidity. As for dejection, it dimes this whole thing up, because they believed xyz was going to happen & it was never going to happen.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #17080 on: April 04, 2019, 10:50:28 PM »

OR

It’s not about whether polls match my view, it’s about checking the honesty of the poll, and also checking the honesty of their use.

For example, the latest link you posted does support the headline statement you picked up, The % who thought immigration was too high is falling though. Down from 70% to 63%. Still high though.

BUT, beneath that headline figure there is another set of numbers which shows how these surveys produce contradictory answers from a carefully selected group of people who represent the public.

Over 70% of people are happy with either the same or increased levels of skilled immigration, almost three quarters (73%) are happy with existing or increased numbers of foreign students paying to study at British universities, and 57% are happy with the same number of or more people fleeing persecution or war coming here. Additionally, nearing four in ten (38%) are happy with the current number of immigrants coming to work in the NHS and the same proportion (38%) would like to see more.”

So the same group of respondents that is 63% against increased immigration is 75% in favour of higher immigration for NHS staff,

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #17081 on: April 04, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »

OR

This was covered above, asking questions purely about immigration are not going to get people's views on freedom of movement.  

For instance, here is a poll on freedom of movement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-free-movement-support-brexit-british-people-leave-european-union-survey-a7872816.html

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #17082 on: April 04, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »

But that’s just not how it works is it?  You can’t ‘take out’ the votes of anyone because you have no idea how people arrived at their decision to vote for either side of the debate, or indeed to not vote at all.

But the whole point is that the vote was ultimately decided by the uninformed and stupid.

Is that  33,551,983 uninformed and stupid people
Or just the 17,410,742?
Or is it the 634,751 who, had they voted Remain would have produced a majority to leave of 1 vote?

And, if the vote was decided by those uninformed and stupid people, why do you think a second vote will be any different?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #17083 on: April 05, 2019, 02:58:36 AM »

Or just the 17,410,742?
Or is it the 634,751 who, had they voted Remain would have produced a majority to leave of 1 vote?

And, if the vote was decided by those uninformed and stupid people, why do you think a second vote will be any different?

People who voted to remain knew what they were getting if we stayed, because it would be the status quo. And nobody knows what the result would be next time, and it’s it about changing it, but instead putting something to people which is clearer than the last referendum. I also think that if leave was to “win”, then they need to be somehow an option to choose between deal or no deal.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17084 on: April 05, 2019, 06:49:57 AM »

Or just the 17,410,742?

People who voted to remain knew what they were getting if we stayed, because it would be the status quo. And nobody knows what the result would be next time, and it’s it about changing it, but instead putting something to people which is clearer than the last referendum. I also think that if leave was to “win”, then they need to be somehow an option to choose between deal or no deal.
Oh man. If we think the crying was hard from the 16m haves at leaving imagine the grief if we voted to leave again and voted for no deal.. Likely from the people with a propensity to leave.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 1137 1138 [1139] 1140 1141 1142 1143 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: