blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 1262 1263 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180366 times)
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #18870 on: July 16, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49002056

Meanwhile, wage growth at highest for 11 years and unemployment down further.

I had to search BBC news website to actually find this reported. Fucking jokers. So much for balance.

Good to see opinions on political and business issues hold more sway than latest actual news.

I’m sure these continuing figures are just a statistical meaningless blip though. No place in life for optimism.

We are still part of the EU, lets compare unemployment & growth when (if) we leave. PS, our growth as a nation is down.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #18871 on: July 17, 2019, 01:02:45 AM »

offer backstop just for N Ireland rather than whole UK, only whilst robust investigation of technological solutions takes place, or just have no mofo border and continue as normal in what will be formally be known as the special eu rainbow zone where leprechauns and unicorns play.

get full trade deal straight away and link to incremental payments of divorce settlement.

Just let us stay with control of borders and some freedom for global trade or justice

When deadlock is reached both parties need to revisit their red lines and wonder how red they really are. 

The nice people from the EU initially proposed this but Mrs May on behalf of the  Conservative and Unionist party said no and that no UK leader could agree to different rules applying to different parts of the UK that would separate Northern Ireland constitutionally and economically from the rest of the UK.

The DUP said stfu...
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #18872 on: July 17, 2019, 01:13:56 AM »

I had to search BBC news website to actually find this reported. Fucking jokers. So much for balance.

Good to see opinions on political and business issues hold more sway than latest actual news.

I’m sure these continuing figures are just a statistical meaningless blip though. No place in life for optimism.

There's always an explanation.

Observers said companies were likely to have hired workers to meet demand, instead of investing in productivity-boosting technology – paving the way for weaker growth in future.

The Bank of England has previously identified the trend, warning that firms have become more reticent to commit to major expansion plans. Workers tend to be easier to hire and fire, while major investments are costly to reverse. Business investment fell in every quarter last year, the first time since the last recession a decade ago.

Andrew Wishart, UK economist at the consultancy Capital Economics, said: “This will add to concerns that the Brexit-related fall in investment is having a detrimental effect on the economy, as firms have opted to hire workers to meet demand rather than invest.”

Much of the jobs growth in recent years has also come from older Britons staying in the workforce for longer, particularly from changes in the state pension age resulting in fewer women retiring between the ages of 60 and 65 years. The ONS also said that the number of people in retirement dropped to the lowest level in 25 years.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #18873 on: July 17, 2019, 07:27:50 AM »

Observers said companies were likely to have hired workers to meet demand, instead of investing in productivity-boosting technology – paving the way for weaker growth in future.

The Bank of England has previously identified the trend, warning that firms have become more reticent to commit to major expansion plans. Workers tend to be easier to hire and fire, while major investments are costly to reverse. Business investment fell in every quarter last year, the first time since the last recession a decade ago.

Andrew Wishart, UK economist at the consultancy Capital Economics, said: “This will add to concerns that the Brexit-related fall in investment is having a detrimental effect on the economy, as firms have opted to hire workers to meet demand rather than invest.”

Much of the jobs growth in recent years has also come from older Britons staying in the workforce for longer, particularly from changes in the state pension age resulting in fewer women retiring between the ages of 60 and 65 years. The ONS also said that the number of people in retirement dropped to the lowest level in 25 years.

I thought it would be bad news when analysed. The bad news on unemployment has been happening month on month, year on year. Record numbers in work, very low unemployment must mean we are screwed then.

I’ll look forward to analysts telling us that unemployment rising is a good thing as it means we are investing and increasing productivity. Looking forward to that explanation on here.

People will spin things any way they like but at least the numbers yesterday were actual fact rather than spin/opinion on facts.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #18874 on: July 17, 2019, 07:37:58 AM »

We are still part of the EU, lets compare unemployment & growth when (if) we leave. PS, our growth as a nation is down.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp

We’ve had this discussion before. GDP is up 0.3% on latest quarter figures.

I gave a link previously and over the last 12 months we outperformed the German economy for example.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #18875 on: July 17, 2019, 08:27:49 AM »

This is just funny angle shooting.

Yes, older people are staying in work longer, that would happen even if we stayed in the EU, or was it the land of milk and honey and I just forgot ?

Economies ebb and flow and again you can take the positives and negatives at any time from an economic situation, dependent on glass half full or remoaner.......

Investing in people rather than machines, "oh shit, keeping more people in jobs rather than a machine". I don't get this as being inherently bad, because surely the flip side is more robots, less work, more unemployment? Hardly win/win....

"Observers said"......if that was Mantis, Woodsey or I, Thread would be up in arms at the lack of statistical data and broadsheet links!!

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18876 on: July 17, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »

Lets give it some graphs and analysis shall we?

Encouraging news on pay - real average weekly earnings grew by 1.7 per cent in the three months to May of this year - its fastest rate since October 2015 (when inflation was near zero). 

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/media/press-releases/real-pay-growing-at-its-fastest-rate-in-over-three-years-as-jobs-market-holds-steady/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18877 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »

The encouraging short-term news on pay is much needed too, as the bigger picture is that real pay is still £5 a week lower than its 2008 peak. That's now over a decade of lost earnings growth - which has been damaging for living standards.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18878 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »

The news on employment was more mixed. Unemployment remains at 3.8 per cent, and the employment rate only fell marginally. But there was a big fall in employee jobs, offset in part by rising self-employment. Blip or trend?

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18879 on: July 17, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »

very interesting thread

"Hardening "no deal" signals are emerging from borisj ohnson camp. What is going on? What might it mean? Is it choreographed? Is it all that it appears?

Some thoughts after chats in UK and EU"

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1151232506592669697

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18880 on: July 17, 2019, 09:25:53 AM »

this is a must watch, in the context of the next post please

Ivan Rogers tells the Foreign Affairs Ctte that the PM wasn't too happy when he explained her Brexit Ireland policy consisted of three incompatible promises

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1151148529865412608

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18881 on: July 17, 2019, 09:29:40 AM »

so this is what that evidence looks like

hence the difficulty of solving

so who is Boris going to shaft?

the ERG? Unlikely

the good friday agreement? unlikely, given he wants US trade deal

the DUP? Well that strikes me as the candidate. Do "the Mantis", have NI seperate, stuff the DUP, they withdraw from co-op agreement, election..Boris gambles that he would win the election on a brexit promise against a Labour party with no position...wins a majority(? brexit party voters go back to tory) then break the parliamentary logjam?

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18882 on: July 17, 2019, 09:30:41 AM »

so Labour peer Stewart Wood wrote something that i caught yesterday

"Despite his rhetoric, I can't help feeling we are underestimating the chances of a "Lipstick on a Pig" Brexit move by PM Boris Johnson: a few cosmetic changes to May's Deal, sold at home as a New Deal, & then a drive to a) split the ERG, b) attract 20 or so Labour MPs. Just maybe"

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18883 on: July 17, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »

but then again the Borisgrpah reports

"Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt claim they’d take a no-deal Brexit. The problem arises when the EU call our bluff and decide it's more damaging to Britain"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/15/boris-johnson-jeremy-hunt-claim-take-no-deal-brexit-just-one/

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18884 on: July 17, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »

this made me laugh so much

very clever

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 1262 1263 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: