blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:51:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1264 1265 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 1271 1272 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199553 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19005 on: July 21, 2019, 11:48:23 AM »

they are US led sanctions are they not?

and the mooted response to the current crisis is...more UK sanctions...anyway i have a corker coming

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19006 on: July 21, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »

What happens when political bluster meets the reality of a no-deal Brexit.

subtitle (but, kippers!)

Shipman in the times

My eyes are open wide
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19007 on: July 21, 2019, 12:26:54 PM »

Just uncomfortable with how the rhetoric for remain continues to be presented

That picture of Boris, Mad, Stupid, People deciding is like children performing brain surgery with crayons etc

If we look back at my previous point, when did the people ever opt into this hugely complex situation with every implication clearly presented? We have been hoodwinked into an ever evolving German influenced system that encroaches into any semblance of the original agreement. The first time we get a say we express our will and it’s insult after insults. All very moody.

An equally significant development is a British tanker is now seized because we were upholding EU sanctions. Where is the super supportive rhetoric delivered with equal passion? Perhaps outside of EU we won’t have the motivation or funding to continue playing global sheriff. Might make UK a safer place for our people.

Surely the ball is in Boris’s court on this. If he (and you) want to people to stop pointing out that he is an incredibly useless, inept and ignorant c***, then he needs to do and say different things. The guys only redeeming feature is that he’s so shit at everything (including lying) that watching him is funny. The British law on kippers that he got confused about and you so enjoyed is a prime example.

Also worth noting that all the things we get hoodwinked in to doing benefit the country.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:36:01 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19008 on: July 21, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »

Also the fact that Boris is an extravagantly shit human being has nothing to do with leave or remain.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #19009 on: July 21, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »

I find the obsession with Boris bus intriguing. There has been a constant failing of British politicians to be honest about what membership involves since 1973. The Foreign Office feely admit that “ultimately misleading impressions” were given to voters since the get go. That is never a sustainable position in any open democracy. I mean Ted Heath’s 1971 White Paper on entry had promised no “erosion of essential national sovereignty” and this was quite untrue because European law did and does override British law, increasingly so as each year goes by. So in this constant hailstorm of bullshit over like 45yrs we keep picking out Boris bus as the key event, oh ok. 

The Maastricht treaty which created the European Union paved the way for the euro and the social chapter which extended Brussels powers into loads of new areas. We won opt-outs from both these things but it sowed the seeds for today’s arguments. Sure British people joined, and were happy to join, a common market but we didn't sign up to a social chapter, a single currency or the super state as we see today, we don't share those aspirations and never have. God bless Maggie for standing up to the Delors vision of euro project, a social-democratic state through the back door when it would never be voted in through the British electorate system. So we see this common market we were originally sold morph into single currency, euro army, euro laws, free movement, super state etc and we would all be satisfied with the constant wholesale changes if it wasn't for that dratted boris bus. 

Politicians have been known to tell porkies horror... and I also find the repetition of the Boris bus facts tiresome within the context of history and the big picture.

Just a few points though:

.views from both sides about sovereignty were widely aired in the 1975 referendum debate.  Enoch Powell and Tony Benn spring to mind.

.the Foreign Office haven’t freely admitted “misleading impressions” and presumably you are just quoting the view of 1 individual who was with the Foreign Office.

.true, we didn’t sign up for a single currency or, initially, the social chapter. We did have aspirations for the latter and I voted for it in 1997. Blair also talked about the single currency and favoured it if the economic conditions were right.

.you make it sound as if Delors and the EU were pushing for a social-democratic state via the back door. That wasn’t the case.  He was very much through the front door selling and winning over Labour.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19010 on: July 21, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »

That picture of Boris, Mad, Stupid, People deciding is like children performing brain surgery with crayons etc

If we look back at my previous point, when did the people ever opt into this hugely complex situation with every implication clearly presented? We have been hoodwinked into an ever evolving German influenced system that encroaches into any semblance of the original agreement. The first time we get a say we express our will and it’s insult after insults. All very moody.

An equally significant development is a British tanker is now seized because we were upholding EU sanctions. Where is the super supportive rhetoric delivered with equal passion? Perhaps outside of EU we won’t have the motivation or funding to continue playing global sheriff. Might make UK a safer place for our people.

Surely the ball is in Boris’s court on this. If he (and you) want to people to stop pointing out that he is an incredibly useless, inept and ignorant c***, then he needs to do and say different things. The guys only redeeming feature is that he’s so shit at everything (including lying) that watching him is funny. The British law on kippers that he got confused about and you so enjoyed is a prime example.

Also worth noting that all the things we get hoodwinked in to doing benefit the country.

Did you have an opportunity to vote for Boris as your new PM? Would you have voted for him given the chance?

We know the answers are definitely NO and NO.

Look how terribly unhappy you are about that.

What if you now find out that Boris can’t be changed at any point in the future? Things have changed in the background that mean it’s all too complicated and expensive to change him.

Wonder how unhappy you would feel then. Perhaps it would offer some insight into how Leave voters feel.

Oh and because you expressed that frustration after being invited to vote on the subject you were labelled a stupid simpleton racist.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19011 on: July 21, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »

Oh and when you and the majority voted for Boris to be replaced you were told he was staying anyway

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19012 on: July 21, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »

Did you have an opportunity to vote for Boris as your new PM? Would you have voted for him given the chance?

We know the answers are definitely NO and NO.

Look how terribly unhappy you are about that.

What if you now find out that Boris can’t be changed at any point in the future? Things have changed in the background that mean it’s all too complicated and expensive to change him.

Wonder how unhappy you would feel then. Perhaps it would offer some insight into how Leave voters feel.

Oh and because you expressed that frustration after being invited to vote on the subject you were labelled a stupid simpleton racist.

If leavers in parliament had voted the deal through we would be out now

Better keep repeating it until it sinks in. Change was perfectly possible but the ERG wanted perfect change, which isn't how negotiated compromises work.

My eyes are open wide
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19013 on: July 21, 2019, 02:38:06 PM »

If you accept that preparations were not in place for No Deal and Theresa May + team were not the most proficient, skilled negotiators you accept the deal was sub-optimal. Continuing to repeat we could’ve accepted a sub-optimal deal until it sinks in is unnecessary. Agreed we could’ve accepted a sub-optimal deal.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19014 on: July 21, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »

Sub optimal or not, better than a no deal outcome. Of course if it happens the hard line leavers will blame May, the EU and remainers all the while deflecting from it being self inflicted.

The intensification of their blame culture, refusing to accept responsibility for voting leave with no plan and then playing victim, should be throughly resisted from these charlatans as and when it accelerates.

My eyes are open wide
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #19015 on: July 21, 2019, 08:08:36 PM »

Is this language really necessary to make your point? 
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #19016 on: July 21, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »

Also the fact that Boris is an extravagantly shit human being has nothing to do with leave or remain.

Think it has

Ultimately more “shit humans” voted for leave. The racists & stupids.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #19017 on: July 21, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »

Think it has

You two are getting like a double act.

Wasn't Boris in the remain camp for a while, when it suited his agenda?

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #19018 on: July 21, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »

Think it has

What did the anti-semites vote for?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #19019 on: July 21, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »

Think it has

What did the anti-semites vote for?

great post
Pages: 1 ... 1264 1265 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 1271 1272 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: