blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:03:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 1444 1445 [1446] 1447 1448 1449 1450 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180336 times)
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21675 on: October 23, 2019, 12:12:28 AM »

the trapdoor to No Deal.
Clause 30 - if the Government doesn’t propose an extension to the transition, MPs have no say, & therefore if negotiations on future relationship unfinished by end of December next year, we’re out - it

I think there was a last minute concession,, (in the winding up speech) to give MPs a vote on this in June 2020

Indeed the Justice Sec/Lord Chancellor said that the govt intended to move an amendment which gave the House the ability to vote on whether asking for an extension was required in July 2020.

Two small points:

1. Now that the bill is in limbo, who the fuck knows?

2. This is rather grist for the mill for those who claim (rightly) that passing WAB and ‘getting Brexit done’ is the start of Brexit, not the end of it.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #21676 on: October 23, 2019, 08:10:11 AM »

We’ve got to go to an election now.

Wrote to my MP (pointlessly) to suggest this or lose my vote.

This is absolutely not pointless, well done you for doing so.

That's what they're there for, to implement what the electorate want whether that be remain. leave, election, no election or literally anything else you can think of.

They must love it that so many people think it's pointless and therefore don't bother, it saves them having to do their job.

I wrote to my local councillor recently on a much less serious issue than brexit, there were some plans to change some local roads and it was ridiculous. I got a response and I presume partly because of lots of people writing to them they changed their minds.

That was the first time I'd ever written to them as I always thought it was pointless but it made me feel good that they did something about it even though it wasn't solely because of me of course.

I then had another even less serious issue where I was trying to get a new dustbin (the dustbin men decided mine needed to go in the wagon with my rubbish) but it proved impossible with the councils website and phone system. Honestly they're shocking and seem to have been designed with the sole purpose of making people give up.

Anyway because I'd previously had a response I thought 'sod it' and went to the local councillor. I even apologised in my email for wasting his time with such a petty matter but he stressed that it wasn't petty and that if things like this don't get escalated what can they do about it.

It's obviously highly unlikely that you'll get a personal response from your MP on this matter because they'll have hundreds or hopefully thousands of letters of a similar nature to deal with at the moment. Your letter will be read though and if enough people are writing to them saying the same thing then it will get their attention.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #21677 on: October 23, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »

Corbyn would be mad to go for an election, but he's being backed into a corner.

Probably needs to make his mind up before PM questions at midday.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21678 on: October 23, 2019, 09:54:59 AM »

Updated flowchart

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21679 on: October 23, 2019, 11:33:41 AM »

We’ve got to go to an election now.

Wrote to my MP (pointlessly) to suggest this or lose my vote.

This is absolutely not pointless, well done you for doing so.

That's what they're there for, to implement what the electorate want whether that be remain. leave, election, no election or literally anything else you can think of.

They must love it that so many people think it's pointless and therefore don't bother, it saves them having to do their job.

I wrote to my local councillor recently on a much less serious issue than brexit, there were some plans to change some local roads and it was ridiculous. I got a response and I presume partly because of lots of people writing to them they changed their minds.

That was the first time I'd ever written to them as I always thought it was pointless but it made me feel good that they did something about it even though it wasn't solely because of me of course.

I then had another even less serious issue where I was trying to get a new dustbin (the dustbin men decided mine needed to go in the wagon with my rubbish) but it proved impossible with the councils website and phone system. Honestly they're shocking and seem to have been designed with the sole purpose of making people give up.

Anyway because I'd previously had a response I thought 'sod it' and went to the local councillor. I even apologised in my email for wasting his time with such a petty matter but he stressed that it wasn't petty and that if things like this don't get escalated what can they do about it.

It's obviously highly unlikely that you'll get a personal response from your MP on this matter because they'll have hundreds or hopefully thousands of letters of a similar nature to deal with at the moment. Your letter will be read though and if enough people are writing to them saying the same thing then it will get their attention.

It feels pointless, they aren't going to start voting for an election because I sent an email! I expect a generic reply regardless.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21680 on: October 23, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »

But won't it look even worse on him if he chooses to turn down that opportunity again? I think if they turn it down again, they'll lose even more voters. I personally have come round to supporting Labour again in the last few weeks, BUT last few days I've been frustrated by them. If my MP chooses to vote against, then it's the last straw.

The frustrating thing is that now we see Labour MP's coming out for a GE, but now there's a shift in the party for a second referendum, which is miles away? Why not try and get that second referendum through a GE?

Whilst in the background is SNP is trying to make amendments to an election bill.

Should 16yo's be allowed to vote?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #21681 on: October 23, 2019, 03:10:43 PM »

It feels pointless, they aren't going to start voting for an election because I sent an email! I expect a generic reply regardless.

Not because of you alone but if enough people keep on at them they have no choice but to take notice.

It's important that people keep badgering them. Even if you only get a generic reply from an assistant (which you will) it still matters.

Brexit / GE may be the exception to be fair as many politicians seem firmly fixed on their own ideals rather than those of their constituents.

Also if you have a labour MP I'm pretty sure they have been told to vote 'no' to anything either Brexit or GE related regardless of what the f**k their own opinion is.

Disgusting isn't it Sad

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21682 on: October 23, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »

But won't it look even worse on him if he chooses to turn down that opportunity again? I think if they turn it down again, they'll lose even more voters. I personally have come round to supporting Labour again in the last few weeks, BUT last few days I've been frustrated by them. If my MP chooses to vote against, then it's the last straw.

The frustrating thing is that now we see Labour MP's coming out for a GE, but now there's a shift in the party for a second referendum, which is miles away? Why not try and get that second referendum through a GE?

Whilst in the background is SNP is trying to make amendments to an election bill.

On your last question, I really can't think of a single reason why it makes sense for 16 year olds to vote. I can understand why certain parties like the idea of the 16-18 demographic having a vote but, in as unbiased a way as I am capable of, I can't get positive about it.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #21683 on: October 23, 2019, 06:49:30 PM »

The interview on PM with the Labour MP for Sunderland explaining why she voted for the WAB last night was refreshing.

I could almost bring myself to vote Labour if there were more like her.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21684 on: October 23, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »

On your last question, I really can't think of a single reason why it makes sense for 16 year olds to vote. I can understand why certain parties like the idea of the 16-18 demographic having a vote but, in as unbiased a way as I am capable of, I can't get positive about it.

Would you say that 16 year olds should be tax exempt then?

Or is your average 16 year old allowed to fiscally contribute to society but not civically?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21685 on: October 23, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »

Or is your average 16 year old allowed to fiscally contribute to society but not civically?

I'd be fine with that for quite a few reasons
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:58:29 PM by nirvana » Logged

sola virtus nobilitat
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #21686 on: October 23, 2019, 11:18:30 PM »

I’d be perfectly happy for under 18s not to pay tax. I doubt many do though.

I wouldn’t be happy with 16 yr olds voting though. To be brutal I think 18 is too young to have that responsibility.

25 sounds about right.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21687 on: October 24, 2019, 12:36:21 AM »

Jo Swinson showing herself up on Twitter. She really is incapable.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21688 on: October 24, 2019, 07:16:53 AM »

I’d be perfectly happy for under 18s not to pay tax. I doubt many do though.

I wouldn’t be happy with 16 yr olds voting though. To be brutal I think 18 is too young to have that responsibility.

25 sounds about right.

There was an article on the BBC some time ago with various experts opinions about age and maturity - it's general theme was that there was a lot more reason to think you should put up the voting age rather than down; but politically it's much harder to take something away than it is to give something new (another reason not to reduce the voting age - if it turns out badly it would be very difficult to reverse).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #21689 on: October 24, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »

Jo Swinson showing herself up on Twitter. She really is incapable.

I read this on a small device and knew who had posted before confirming.

I don't doubt the content, on this occasion, but your sole source of info seems to be Twitter.

You should probably try and expand your reading material.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 1444 1445 [1446] 1447 1448 1449 1450 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: