blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:05:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1521 1522 1523 1524 [1525] 1526 1527 1528 1529 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180577 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22860 on: September 23, 2020, 10:55:22 AM »

this is really good

"Someone I know (offline) said they didn't understand the whole Brexit / Ireland / Trade thing. Didn't see the first few episodes, couldn't catch up, now lost.

So for those in the same boat, I'm gonna try to explain. This is (necessarily) simplified, but here goes"

a thread

https://twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1306904082108624896?s=20

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22861 on: September 30, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »

interesting read

It didn't have to be this way. Covid inflaming every joint and tissue of the body politic points to an underlying vulnerability in British* democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/29/boris-johnson-discord-tories

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22862 on: October 03, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »

“He genuinely doesn’t give a flying fuck what the policy is” says one prominent Tory MP. "He’s never done the homework so he doesn’t know anything. There really is no point in talking to the Prime Minister about policy at all”

New longread on Tory party…

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/09/end-affair-how-tory-mps-are-falling-out-love-boris-johnson

My eyes are open wide
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #22863 on: October 03, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »

We've got our own Donald.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22864 on: October 05, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »

I guess Lozza Fox is a politician now?

Anway, the car crash that is Lozza Fox got called a racist **** yesterday and Lozza responded by calling the tweeter and two others a paedophile.  By "coincidence" the first two people he called paedophiles seem to be gay men.

For context he was saying he was boyocotting Sainsbury's for offering a safe space to black people.  He claimed this was racial discrimination and segregation by Sainsbury's.  I think this was the tweet that lead to the tweeter(s) calling him racist.  As an aside, I don't think offering a safe space to female victims of domestic violence is sexist.

So, haven't the people calling Lozza a racist got the defence that they believed it was the truth (even if it isn't), but he has no defence for calling them paedophiles?   The secret barrister advised him to take his tweets down, but they are still there this morning.  I think this is aggravated because the first two people called paedophiles were obviously gay.   

Suspect losing much of the black vote and much of the gay vote issn't the best start to his new party, though Trump.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22865 on: October 05, 2020, 06:00:31 PM »

Anway, the car crash that is Lozza Fox got called a racist **** yesterday and Lozza responded by calling the tweeter and two others a paedophile.  By "coincidence" the first two people he called paedophiles seem to be gay men.

For context he was saying he was boyocotting Sainsbury's for offering a safe space to black people.  He claimed this was racial discrimination and segregation by Sainsbury's.  I think this was the tweet that lead to the tweeter(s) calling him racist.  As an aside, I don't think offering a safe space to female victims of domestic violence is sexist.

So, haven't the people calling Lozza a racist got the defence that they believed it was the truth (even if it isn't), but he has no defence for calling them paedophiles?   The secret barrister advised him to take his tweets down, but they are still there this morning.  I think this is aggravated because the first two people called paedophiles were obviously gay.   

Suspect losing much of the black vote and much of the gay vote issn't the best start to his new party, though Trump.

I don't think it's racist towards white people if that's what the assertion is. Also, not sure it's comparable with your analogy regarding safe spaces for victims of domestic violence unless we want to label all black people as victims per se.

Slight detour - someone who is a victim of domestic violence definitely does need a safe space, probably not in the supermarket especially - it's shocking the level of misogyny and domestic violence that this country tolerates and the lack of seriousness with which we take it in terms of protecting women.

Safe spaces for black people might make sense in some places (perhaps police stations) but in a supermarket - well, it's just frippery. It may be well intended but if I was black I think I would find it offensive that people thought I needed a safe space in a supermarket, unless I've missed something and supermarkets tend to bring out the worse in the racist population.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22866 on: October 05, 2020, 06:16:43 PM »

I don't think it's racist towards white people if that's what the assertion is. Also, not sure it's comparable with your analogy regarding safe spaces for victims of domestic violence unless we want to label all black people as victims per se.

Slight detour - someone who is a victim of domestic violence definitely does need a safe space, probably not in the supermarket especially - it's shocking the level of misogyny and domestic violence that this country tolerates and the lack of seriousness with which we take it in terms of protecting women.

Safe spaces for black people might make sense in some places (perhaps police stations) but in a supermarket - well, it's just frippery. It may be well intended but if I was black I think I would find it offensive that people thought I needed a safe space in a supermarket, unless I've missed something and supermarkets tend to bring out the worse in the racist population.

I just assumed it was because staff and customers sometimes got racist abuse in their stores, but may be wrong.   I don't think there is an actual space I can't go in as a white person.  I just assumed it was letting people know Sainsbury's was on their side if their was a racist about.  I am not sure it really needed saying as the people at the top of virtually all big companies don't want their staff and customers to suffer racist abuse.

I don't think Lozza was being much of a racist here, just seemed a stramge thing to arrange a boycott about, and a strange thing to call it racial discrimination.   He gets called a racist quite a bit, but I think the best solution would be to stop doing stuff that people might consider racist, but guess you get less publicity that way.

Anyway he has taken the tweets down now and all publicity is good publicity.  Certainly doesn't seem to be the route to the poor house anyway.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22867 on: October 05, 2020, 09:04:02 PM »

Didn't think of staff, mebbe they do catch it from the wrong uns

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #22868 on: October 05, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »

Understandable when Jeeves does the shopping, and has it unpacked before you're back from the hunt Grin

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #22869 on: October 06, 2020, 07:07:34 AM »

From what I understood Sainsbury's announcement about safe places for black people was only about staff.

I thought it was along the same lines as when other employers declare themselves LGBT friendly.

I had the thought to actually have a look and this is a quote from Sainsbury.
"The “safe spaces” we created in response to the Black Lives Matter movement were online support groups that helped our black colleagues come together, share their experiences and support one another."

So that's pretty clear - it was for staff only and it was basically for online chats.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22870 on: October 06, 2020, 09:13:53 AM »

Amen.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22871 on: October 06, 2020, 09:30:45 AM »

From what I understood Sainsbury's announcement about safe places for black people was only about staff.

I thought it was along the same lines as when other employers declare themselves LGBT friendly.

"The “safe spaces” we created in response to the Black Lives Matter movement were online support groups that helped our black colleagues come together, share their experiences and support one another."

So that's pretty clear - it was for staff only and it was basically for online chats.

Thanks

It seems a strange thing for a non racist to lose his mind over.  He is getting sued for defamation now allegedly.  Suppose there will be plenty of gofundmes for this shitshow.  I'd like to believe that nobody would seriously believe that his adversaries were really paedophiles, but then you read some of the stuff that Lozza's supporters believe already.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #22872 on: October 06, 2020, 09:46:59 AM »

Thanks

It seems a strange thing for a non racist to lose his mind over.  He is getting sued for defamation now allegedly.  Suppose there will be plenty of gofundmes for this shitshow.  I'd like to believe that nobody would seriously believe that his adversaries were really paedophiles, but then you read some of the stuff that Lozza's supporters believe already.

Can he not counter sue based on the fact he is not racist just like they are not paedophiles? Was that not his point?

His stand point on boycotting Sainsbury's is stupid not racist, just like the people calling him a racist are stupid not paedophiles?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22873 on: October 06, 2020, 09:50:16 AM »

Thanks. Doobs had already helped me re frame to think about staff. Pretty much what every major company does but perhaps wrapped up in statements around work place bullying, ethics, lookout programmes while stopping short of specifically safe spaces for a particular group identity.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22874 on: October 06, 2020, 10:35:31 AM »

Thanks

Can he not counter sue based on the fact he is not racist just like they are not paedophiles? Was that not his point?

His stand point on boycotting Sainsbury's is stupid not racist, just like the people calling him a racist are stupid not paedophiles?

I don't know on the counter sue point.  I wouldn't have responded to his boycott post by saying he was a racist **** and like you, think both Fox and his adversary were both guilty of overreacting.  You can't defame someone with the truth and I think it is probably easier for his adversary to prepare a truth defense based on things Lozza has done than it is the other way round.   

I probably view more people as racist than most though.

Pages: 1 ... 1521 1522 1523 1524 [1525] 1526 1527 1528 1529 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: