blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272598 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Gigs/festivals 2017
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gigs/festivals 2017  (Read 41166 times)
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:08 PM »

Well, really enjoyed Jake Bugg in North London on Tuesday.  Really surprised by the venue, was like my local village hall, small intimate and a damn good show was put on.

He played 20 odd songs and was really good being up close, I could almost touch the drum kit if I lent forward too much!

Would go again, added bonus was Tufnell Park tube station has now re opened.....30 yards from the venue so super convenient.

Was it a secret gig or something? He's been added to the line up of Inmusic festival in Croatia, quite the line up for a 40Euro, 3 day ticket.

Gig #2 for me tomorrow, The Rifles playing the Wardrobe in Leeds. Can't say its a venue I'm familiar with!

No, he's doing 4 or 5 dates around London but tickets came on sale just a week before the gigs......next one is tonight I believe...tickets went within an hour though I think.

Was worth the trip down from Notts for the evening.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »

Well, really enjoyed Jake Bugg in North London on Tuesday.  Really surprised by the venue, was like my local village hall, small intimate and a damn good show was put on.

He played 20 odd songs and was really good being up close, I could almost touch the drum kit if I lent forward too much!

Would go again, added bonus was Tufnell Park tube station has now re opened.....30 yards from the venue so super convenient.

Was it a secret gig or something? He's been added to the line up of Inmusic festival in Croatia, quite the line up for a 40Euro, 3 day ticket.

Gig #2 for me tomorrow, The Rifles playing the Wardrobe in Leeds. Can't say its a venue I'm familiar with!

No, he's doing 4 or 5 dates around London but tickets came on sale just a week before the gigs......next one is tonight I believe...tickets went within an hour though I think.

Was worth the trip down from Notts for the evening.

I'm sure his royalties from Happy Valley and British Airways keep his ticket prices down.....

Best Bitter.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »

Anyone lucky enough to live in or around Lincoln, tonight at The Rogue Saint, "The Second Best Cover Band In The World: Me Next And The Gimme Gimmes" are playing from 21:30.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »

Placebo announce a world tour (though only European dates confirmed at the moment). They are playing the First Direct Arena in Leeds, its 25 minutes on the train from York....so that's absolutely no fun whatsoever and far too convenient. Never been to Croatia so gonna head to Zagreb to see them instead. I'll be at Silver status on the BA executive club scheme by then, so free lounge access to offset having to fly from London for direct flights. Hard life.

Kaiser Chiefs confirmed as the Friday act at the July race meeting in York (It's The Corrs on the Saturday, such a shame that clashes with Manics/Editors in Leeds Wink ). I don't mind them, certainly wouldn't cough up £30+ to see them, but it will be about a tenner (or less!) to get in on the cheap side, so can't really argue against paying £10 for a day of horses followed by Kaiser Chiefs.

Best Bitter.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 06:48:35 PM »

Fibbers in York attracting a reasonable calibre of band; The View, Coral and now Ash all playing there in the coming months. It's 2 minutes from where I live so very convenient.

I know Shed Seven's tour manager/Rick Witter's agent (this would've been thin in 1997, its even thinner now) and he tells me they are playing a festival warm up show also at Fibbers, it's who you know not what you know. Not been announced yet but 8 tickets reserved without the mad scramble when they go on sale Wink

Anyone manage to get a Radiohead ticket? Found Thom Yorke's comments about the situation a tad hollow....

Best Bitter.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 06:57:56 PM »

Fibbers brings back some memories. Crazy Chapman family performance there. Some  of their regulars viewers were an eye opener. It was a bit different seeing his fake hanging/red wine dripping stunt from about half a yard. Really small venue but I liked it a lot. Not sure if I'm preaching to the converted.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »

Fibbers brings back some memories. Crazy Chapman family performance there. Some  of their regulars viewers were an eye opener. It was a bit different seeing his fake hanging/red wine dripping stunt from about half a yard. Really small venue but I liked it a lot. Not sure if I'm preaching to the converted.

When was the last time you went?

I only ask cos it is located elsewhere in York now. It used to be by all the bus stops (Stonebow, a really ugly building!) but the future of that building was unclear so they moved a couple years ago to the other side of the river. It's much more modern these days, though it does lack the 'rustic charm' of the old Fibbers. Its bigger as well, and has a strip club next door.......I'm told.

Best Bitter.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »

The Enemy are splitting up and play a 'farewell' tour this autumn. My flatmate got us tickets on O2 priority for the Leeds leg. Odds on them back in the studio/touring within the next 5 years? Very good band actually, shame to see them pack it in. I fear quite a few bands from that 2004-2009 era might start jacking it in soon. Music industry is a different ball game these days to when they all broke through (which is what Tom Clark touched on in his statement about the split)

Maximo Park are playing a hometown show in Newcastle. Album No.6 is in the pipeline apparently. Another good band and excellent live, however I don't fancy paying £35 for it.

Saw The View at a local venue on Monday. Capacity is probably 750 or so. Can't have been more than 250 there. I don't think they'll be heading to York again anytime soon Smiley

Best Bitter.
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »

Saw Muse at the O2 last Monday and enjoyed it although it didn't draw me in unlike other gigs I have been to recently.

Not a fan of the venue which is probably why, and also was in the seats instead of the standing area.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 02:29:57 AM »

Anyone heard of or been to Godiva festival in Coventry?

Been going for years apparently, never even heard of it, just popped up on my FB recently. It's a free festival! This year it has, amongst others, The Charlatans, The Subways, Mystery Jets and Pigeon Detectives.

First weekend in July, see what work say when I request yet another weekend off Wink

Best Bitter.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2016, 05:22:39 AM »

Never heard of it but got to be worth a look if it's free!

I've only just seen this thread. I'm surprised the subways are still going; I saw them back in 2006 I think supporting the foo fighters in Manchester. I was pretty impressed with them but they seemed to go off the radar fairly quickly.

Feed em rice.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »

I've only just seen this thread. I'm surprised the subways are still going; I saw them back in 2006 I think supporting the foo fighters in Manchester. I was pretty impressed with them but they seemed to go off the radar fairly quickly.

I think the end is nigh for them. They are touring the States at the moment, but had to shift a lot of gear and merchandise to fund it. I think their last album was self produced, never a great sign. Saw them at Brudenell (sp?) Social Club in Leeds about this time last year and they put on a good show. Lead singer Billy did an acoustic set at a venue in York in October, and honestly I wouldn't have begrudged him, after walking on stage and seeing about the 30 people who turned up, turning round thinking 'fuck this!'

I worry for the future of some of my fave bands of that era; The Enemy have already called it a day, Maximo Park, Editors, The View etc have all had declining record sales in recent years. Bands can get so much exposure/notoriety on the back of FB/Youtube these days that they don't even need a record label to land tours and festival slots. The Sherlocks being a case in point.

There is always the lucrative reunion tour in 2025 Smiley

Best Bitter.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »

I think the end is nigh for them. They are touring the States at the moment, but had to shift a lot of gear and merchandise to fund it. I think their last album was self produced, never a great sign. Saw them at Brudenell (sp?) Social Club in Leeds about this time last year and they put on a good show. Lead singer Billy did an acoustic set at a venue in York in October, and honestly I wouldn't have begrudged him, after walking on stage and seeing about the 30 people who turned up, turning round thinking 'fuck this!'

I worry for the future of some of my fave bands of that era; The Enemy have already called it a day, Maximo Park, Editors, The View etc have all had declining record sales in recent years. Bands can get so much exposure/notoriety on the back of FB/Youtube these days that they don't even need a record label to land tours and festival slots. The Sherlocks being a case in point.

There is always the lucrative reunion tour in 2025 Smiley

It's pretty worrying for indie music overall compared to where it was at 10 years back. There seems to be such a decline in number of bands, quality of those bands etc. 10 years ago you had acts such arctic monkeys and kasabian, before that the libertines and oasis etc. Since then who's new on the scene that can be seen as a huge headline act? I'm intrigued to see how the line up these festivals will look in the next decade. They can't keep asking biffy clyro/ muse/ red hot chilly peppers etc .

Feed em rice.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »

Subways - quite an interesting band.  Signed a single album deal with Mushroom that led to a single album deal with Warner for big money and a huge funded tour (around 06).  Lead Singer (Billy) had some addiction problems that led to him quitting the business and enrolling in an English degree.  He is now very clean and they have produced 2 more albums through things like crowd funding.  Believe they are currently in America on a tour funded completely on a crowd funding concept.  Although albums 3 and 4 did not have the commercial success of 1 & 2 as you would expect they shifted very good numbers for independent releases, and have some great tunes on.  There live performances have lost the anarchic edge they had in the early days, think Billy has stopped leaping of speaker stacks and balconies, but they are one of tightest bands out there and with a catalogue of music that can fill a full 90 minute slot.

Billy is a very bright cookie, and is very vocal about the "sins" of the music industry, he is a very good follow on Twitter if you like that kind of stuff. 

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

Subways - quite an interesting band.  Signed a single album deal with Mushroom that led to a single album deal with Warner for big money and a huge funded tour (around 06).  Lead Singer (Billy) had some addiction problems that led to him quitting the business and enrolling in an English degree.  He is now very clean and they have produced 2 more albums through things like crowd funding.  Believe they are currently in America on a tour funded completely on a crowd funding concept.  Although albums 3 and 4 did not have the commercial success of 1 & 2 as you would expect they shifted very good numbers for independent releases, and have some great tunes on.  There live performances have lost the anarchic edge they had in the early days, think Billy has stopped leaping of speaker stacks and balconies, but they are one of tightest bands out there and with a catalogue of music that can fill a full 90 minute slot.

Billy is a very bright cookie, and is very vocal about the "sins" of the music industry, he is a very good follow on Twitter if you like that kind of stuff. 

And Charlotte is fit.

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: