blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:27:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272580 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 1253 1254 ... 2342 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3605235 times)
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #18735 on: June 11, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »

Ha, small'ish world.. just a stone's throw from a cottage where me and my wife have spent a couple of holidays.

Here - http://goo.gl/maps/WpbI

Nice area down there - long stone's throw though Cheesy - about an hour and a half driving or a good day's walk away. Did a few outward bound type courses down there, it's a designated 'dark area' now and a great place for stargazing on a clear night - thinking of a night camping down there next time the perseid (sp?) metor showers are due - nice weather permitting.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18736 on: June 11, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »

Geo, don't use any weed killer ffs! You're supposed to be encouraging wildlife, not murdering it.

Just clear it slowly. Pile it up as you go and by Nov 5th it will be all dried out ready for a nice celebratory bonfire.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18737 on: June 11, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »

Tony, are you sure you are not confusing red kites & buzzards?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18738 on: June 11, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »

Nope. Red Kites. Promise.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18739 on: June 11, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »

From Wiki, as to Red Kites......

The reintroductions in The Chilterns have been a particular success. Between 1989 and 1993 90 birds were released in the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and by 2002, 139 pairs were breeding in the area.[17] Another very successful reintroduction has been in Northamptonshire, which has become a stronghold for the Red Kite.[18] Thirty Spanish birds were reintroduced into Rockingham Forest near Corby in 2000,[19] and by 2010, the RSPB estimated that over 200 chicks had been reared from that initial release

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18740 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:06 PM »

I could be mistaken of course. Let me be right just for once though. Please?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18741 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »

Shit, gatters itt. I'm doomed.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #18742 on: June 11, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »

Shit, gatters itt. I'm doomed.

chill. a bird's a bird as far as I'm concerned

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #18743 on: June 11, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »

Geo, don't use any weed killer ffs! You're supposed to be encouraging wildlife, not murdering it.

Just clear it slowly. Pile it up as you go and by Nov 5th it will be all dried out ready for a nice celebratory bonfire.

Lol,

might not be the brightest on the block, but even I'm not that daft. Going to pile and burn as I go methinks. Weather is forecast to be cool but dry hopefully for the next couple of days so should see some progress.

I've just thought, we have a fox which lives nearby and we think it may have it's den in the thick bramble bushes to the rear of the plot, I'll find out when I get there

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #18744 on: June 11, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »

If Northamptonshire is anything like Oxfordshire (another reintroduction area) it's highly likely there's more kites than buzzards. Thinking about it, as the buzzard recolonized south they wouldn't have filled the "soaring carrion & opportunity prey hunter" niche fully like they have here, which could explain the more rapid spread of the kite in those areas.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #18745 on: June 11, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »

Lol,

might not be the brightest on the block, but even I'm not that daft. Going to pile and burn as I go methinks. Weather is forecast to be cool but dry hopefully for the next couple of days so should see some progress.

I've just thought, we have a fox which lives nearby and we think it may have it's den in the thick bramble bushes to the rear of the plot, I'll find out when I get there

Geo

If it does it'll be able to move as you work closer - they can swap dens without too much hassle so disturbing them isn't too big a thing.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18746 on: June 11, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »

If Northamptonshire is anything like Oxfordshire (another reintroduction area) it's highly likely there's more kites than buzzards. Thinking about it, as the buzzard recolonized south they wouldn't have filled the "soaring carrion & opportunity prey hunter" niche fully like they have here, which could explain the more rapid spread of the kite in those areas.

Unless I'm very wrong, Rod (entirely possible...) Red Kites are flourishing in Northamptonshire, but I rarely see a buzzard, & when I do, the buzzards are much less in number, they seem to operate in smaller groups.

There do, however, appear to be more buzzards up in Notts, & I've yet to see a Red Kite up there.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #18747 on: June 11, 2012, 06:14:58 PM »

Unless I'm very wrong, Rod (entirely possible...) Red Kites are flourishing in Northamptonshire, but I rarely see a buzzard, & when I do, the buzzards are much less in number, they seem to operate in smaller groups.

There do, however, appear to be more buzzards up in Notts, & I've yet to see a Red Kite up there.

It's time to start worrying if you see buzzards circling above you.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18748 on: June 11, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »

The collective noun for a group of buzzards is a "Wake".

For jackdaws it's a "clattering".

RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #18749 on: June 11, 2012, 07:10:13 PM »

Ha, small'ish world.. just a stone's throw from a cottage where me and my wife have spent a couple of holidays.

Here - http://goo.gl/maps/WpbI

Nice area down there - long stone's throw though Cheesy - about an hour and a half driving or a good day's walk away. Did a few outward bound type courses down there, it's a designated 'dark area' now and a great place for stargazing on a clear night - thinking of a night camping down there next time the perseid (sp?) metor showers are due - nice weather permitting.

That's only because there's not many roads crossing the long watery thing!

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 1253 1254 ... 2342 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: