blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  WSOP 2010 Thread. Feed your wild side revisited
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP 2010 Thread. Feed your wild side revisited  (Read 146186 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 04, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »

2010 World Series of Poker
Event #52: $25,000 No-Limit Hold’em / Six Handed

Dan "djk123" Kelly Wins the Bracelet! ($1,315,518)

One of the most prestigious events at the 2010 World Series of Poker has just come to a thrilling conclusion in front of a packed house of spectators here inside the Amazon Room.

The $25,000 Six-Handed No-Limit Hold'em event brought 191 of the world's most talented players together to battle for serious bragging rights and a top prize of more than $1.3 million. After three days, the final six of them had one full night to try and accumulate some sleep for today's potentially life-changing final table. When they reconvened this afternoon around the final table, it took a bit more than three levels of poker to knock out five players, and we've managed to crown our champion before the dinner break.

Dan Kelly, a 21-year-old student from Potomac, Maryland has successfully completed his quest to collect every chip on the table, all 14+ million of them. Kelly, who plays online under the monikers "djk123" and "imabigkidnow", came into the day with a commanding chip lead, and he held it nearly wire-to-wire to close things out. At stake for the young standout was that handsome cash prize as well as a lucrative and enviable sponsorship deal with a prominent online poker site.

Kelly's game plan today was apparent right from the moment he sat down in front of his five competitors. He was active and aggressive, and his chip stack continued to swell as the first few players fell by the wayside. First to drop was Eugene Katchalov, followed shortly by Mikael Thuritz and Jason Somerville, and that put us three-handed for the title in short order.

At that point, Frank Kassela was still in the hunt for a remarkable third bracelet of the Series, but his run at that feat came crashing to a halt courtesy of an eight-out rivering that sent him to the cashier's desk in 3rd place.

That left Kelly heads up with Shawn Buchanan with the latter holding a slight chip edge as the duel began. Kelly worked quickly to erase that deficit, though, and the big bets being fired from both ends of the table made it apparent that the match would not last long. With more than three-quarters of the chips in play in the final pot of the day, Kelly managed to find a three-out ace on the river to eliminate Buchanan as the runner up and put the bracelet around his own wrist.

The cash reward for Kelly's show is officially $1,315,518, but this win is worth a lot more than that to him. Kelly has absolutely cemented his position as one of the premier young players in the game, and this new boost to his bankroll and his credibility ensures that we'll see him around the corridors of the WSOP for a long time coming.

So then, enormous congratulations go out to Dan Kelly for his triumph in Event #52; this has been one to remember.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 04, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »

Event #54: $1,000 No-Limit Hold’em
Day 2 completed

Sean Prendiville

We've come to the end of Day 2 of Event #54, the last of the open-field $1,000 buy-in no-limit hold'em events. A total of 586 players returned today from a starting field of 3,844. The bustouts came quickly in the early going, with nearly 200 players going out within just a couple of hours. The money bubble burst quickly, and the bustouts continued at a rapid pace until late in the evening.

Among those going out with cashes today were Toto Leonidas, Thomas Fuller, Jena Delk, Thuyen Doan, Grayson Ramage, James Dempsey, Chris Klodnicki, Tony Dunst, and husband and wife Jorge and Isabel Carvalho. Later in the evening we saw George Lind, Al Krux, Mikael Johansseon, Eelke Arjaans, Van Nguyen, and Kara Scott also leave us having realized a profit in this one.

Meanwhile, a few players began to push out ahead of the field, including Matthew Schulte, David Peters, and our presumed end-of-day chip leader Sean Prendiville.

There will be 47 players returning for tomorrow's Day 3 at 3 p.m

Top Chip Counts
1    Sean Prendiville    559,000
2    David Peters    544,000
3    Matthew Schulte 488,000
4    Mehul Chaudhari    424,000
5    Dustin Dorrance-Bowman 414,000
6    Daniel Van Kalkeren 405,000
7    Benjamin Palmer    394,000
8    Dorlan Schick    387,000
9    Johan Ekerfelt    369,000
10    Shawn Rusch    324,000

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 04, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »

Event #55: $10,000 Pot-Limit Omaha Championship
Day 3 completed
So Close Yet So Far...Day Three is Done as Proulx Leads Final Table Lineup

In a frantic few minutes of the PLO we'd been hoping for all day, we are suddenly at our official final table of nine players!

At that point the decision was put in the player's hands - halt play and come back tomorrow, or play it out tonight. After a brief discussion the decision was unanimous - play would stop for the day and this final table would recommence at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow afternoon. Yes, indeed there is a God.

Here's how they will lineup at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow afternoon as they play it out for the 55th WSOP Championship bracelet of this series:

Seat 1: Ludovic Lacay - 2,279,000
Seat 2: Daniel Alaei - 1,800,000
Seat 3: Miguel Proulx - 2,440,000
Seat 4: Matthew Wheat - 745,000
Seat 5: Ville Mattila - 490,000
Seat 6: Trevor Uyesugi - 435,000
Seat 7: Alexander Kravchenko - 330,000
Seat 8: Stephen Pierson - 570,000
Seat 9: Dmitry Stelmak - 1,285,000

It's not the dream final table that some may have been looking for at the start of the day as the big names of Medic, Ulliott, Cousineau, Hellmuth, Dwan and Mercier all fell short. Instead it's Miguel Proulx who will lead them into play tomorrow with the chip advantage as he bagged up 2,440,000 in chips

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 04, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  … 13  Next
Day 2 completed

Posted 2 hours 16 minutes ago by danafish
Event #56: $2,500 No-Limit Hold’em
Day 2 completed

It's been another long day in the Amazon Room, but not quite as much poker has been played as we hoped. We were scheduled to play 10 levels today, but owing to a late start and a brief hiatus when the payout computer went a bit mad, it's 3am and we've only got through nine full levels.

Nevertheless, we've done rather well in terms of decimating the field. We came back today with a daunting 502 players, and are now down to just 75 or so. Leading the field is James Mackey, On an astounding 1,011,000 - that'll be around 126 big blinds when play resumes tomorrow - Mackey is looking in pretty good shape to bag himself his second bracelet.

This bracelet is not looking likely to be awarded tomorrow though - like our friends over in the PLO Championship, this tournament is almost guaranteed to run to four days at this point. Still, the blinds are getting big and anything can happen. Either way, we will be back in the Amazon Room at 3pm tomorrow

Top Chip Counts
1    James Mackey    1,030,000
2    Christian Jeppsson 530,000
3    Alfonso Amendola 470,000
4    Sasha Rosewood 320,000
5    Jon Turner    300,000
6    Adam Sandelovsky 280,000
7    Isaac Baron    270,000
8    Ken Kao             270,000
9    Kyle Knecht    270,000
10    Dan Shak             260,000

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 05, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »

Day 3 Concludes, Final Table Set

Posted 2 hours 50 minutes ago by Shamus
David Peters
David Peters

It's the Fourth of July. And there were indeed fireworks here on Day 3 of the last of the open-field, $1,000 buy-in no-limit hold'em events.

We began with 47 players returning from a starting field of 3,844, among them 2010 WSOP bracelet winner Jesse Rockowitz and Alex Jacob. Both of them would join the group hitting the rail today, as we once again saw the field rapidly shrink.

Dustin Dorrance-Bowman emerged as a leader as we got down to 15 players. Then Marcel Vonk moved forward to take the advantage. Then Henrik Tollefsen scored a huge double-up versus Dorrance-Bowman that helped propel him into the chip lead as we got down to 10 players.

Finally David Peters used pocket aces to eliminate Johnny Kitchens in 10th place, and our final nine was set. That hand put Peters in the chip lead entering tomorrow's final day of play, with Vonk and Tollefsen not too far behind.

Top Chip Counts
1    David Peters    2,653,000
2    Marcel Vonk    2,253,000
3    Henrik Tollefsen    1,878,000
4    Nathan Jessen    990,000
5    Matthew Lupton 973,000
6    Dustin Dorrance-Bowman 794,000
7    Mehul Chaudhari    789,000
8    Paul Kerr            784,000
9    Espen Moen    443,000

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 05, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »

2010 World Series of Poker

3 remain

Top Chip Counts
1    Daniel Alaei    6,250,000
2    Ville Mattila    2,300,000
3    Miguel Proulx    1,580,000

4     Ludovic Lacay          262,208
5    Trevor Uyesugi       195,631
6    Stephen Pierson       147,138
7    Dmitry Stelmak       111,524
8    Alexander Kravchenko    85,180
9    Matthew Wheat       65,568
10    Jason Mercier       50,867
11    Alessio Isaia       50,867
12    Danny Wong       50,867
13    Ben Blackmore       39,906
14    Tony Cousineau       39,906
15    Phil Hellmuth       39,906
16    Jason Lester       31,288
17    Tom Dwan       31,288
18    Blair Rodman       31,288
19    Seamus Cahill       24,815
20    David Ulliott       24,815

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 05, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »

Day 3 Done, Day 4 Yet to Come

Well, that's it for tonight. We don't yet have a bracelet winner, but we are one step closer to it now that we've got down to an official final table.

After that last bombshell of a hand, Salvatore Bonavena lurched into the lead, but this is no-limit hold'em and anything can happen.

The final table will take place tomorrow at 3pm in the Pavilion Room - there's some sort of other tournament going on in the Amazon Room that's going to require an awful lot of space - and the lineup will be as follows.

Seat 1: Mike Wattel - 365,000
Seat 2: Salvatore Bonavena - 4,505,000
Seat 3: Ali Alawadhi - 670,000
Seat 4: Joseph Curcio - 1,205,000
Seat 5: Tomer Berda - 3,410,000
Seat 6: Bryan Porter - 740,000
Seat 7: Alfonso Amendola - 910,000
Seat 8: Hungcheng Hung - 740,000
Seat 9: Vladimir Kochelaevskiy - 2,025,000

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 05, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »

Daniel Alaei Collects His Third Career Bracelet! ($780,599)

The last Championship event before the Main has concluded one day later than planned, and all of the prizes have finally been divvied out. Daniel Alaei has collected the lion's share of those here tonight, taking home the gold bracelet and more than three-quarter million dollars.

The final nine players (of the original 346) reconvened this afternoon to spend their Independence Day playing for that shiny piece of jewelry. There was plenty of action from start to finish, but the eliminations were hard to come by as the short stacks hung on to the rungs of the ladder for dear life. Alexander Kravchenko was ousted in 8th place, and fellow-EPT regular Dmitry Stelmak fell soon after. Ludovic Lacay assembled a hearty cheering section on the rail, but they dispersed quickly upon his fourth-place elimination.

In the end, it was Alaei heads up with Miguel Proulx. Whether it was the chip advantage or big the edge in final table experience or the support of his family on the rail -- whatever it was, it propelled Daniel Alaei to a quick and decisive victory to claim the top prize. When the final river card was out, Alaei's arms shot into the air, his wrist ready to accept bracelet number three.

The title of champion for Event #55 has gone to one of the good guys, Daniel Alaei. He's $780,599 richer, and he's now in a much more elite group of triple bracelet winners with plenty of time to rack up a couple more in Series to come.

My eyes are open wide
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 05, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »

Day 3 Concludes, Final Table Set

Posted 2 hours 50 minutes ago by Shamus
David Peters
David Peters

It's the Fourth of July. And there were indeed fireworks here on Day 3 of the last of the open-field, $1,000 buy-in no-limit hold'em events.

We began with 47 players returning from a starting field of 3,844, among them 2010 WSOP bracelet winner Jesse Rockowitz and Alex Jacob. Both of them would join the group hitting the rail today, as we once again saw the field rapidly shrink.

Dustin Dorrance-Bowman emerged as a leader as we got down to 15 players. Then Marcel Vonk moved forward to take the advantage. Then Henrik Tollefsen scored a huge double-up versus Dorrance-Bowman that helped propel him into the chip lead as we got down to 10 players.

Finally David Peters used pocket aces to eliminate Johnny Kitchens in 10th place, and our final nine was set. That hand put Peters in the chip lead entering tomorrow's final day of play, with Vonk and Tollefsen not too far behind.

Top Chip Counts
1    David Peters    2,653,000
2    Marcel Vonk    2,253,000
3    Henrik Tollefsen    1,878,000
4    Nathan Jessen    990,000
5    Matthew Lupton 973,000
6    Dustin Dorrance-Bowman 794,000
7    Mehul Chaudhari    789,000
8    Paul Kerr            784,000
9    Espen Moen    443,000

Ha run better dpeters, only cracked 2 of my sets and won a flip against me.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 06, 2010, 09:43:05 AM »

Congratulations to Marcel Vonk, Event #54 Champion ($570,960)

While much of the poker world's attention has been focused down the hall in the Amazon Room for Day 1a of the Main Event today, there was some serious drama here in the Pavilion Room as Event #54 played out to its conclusion.

A total of 3,844 came out for this last of the open-field, $1,000 buy-in no-limit hold'em events, and after four days of play, Dutch player Marcel Vonk has outlasted all to take the title. It is an historic day -- Vonk becomes the first from the Netherlands ever to win a WSOP bracelet in no-limit hold'em.

Vonk is currently getting his picture taken with his shiny new WSOP bracelet, having survived an exciting heads-up battle against David Peters to take the title. It only seemed right those two would be there at the end. Peters and Vonk came into today's final day of play one-two in chips, and one or the other remained at the top of the counts for most of play today.

Vonk, an accomplished online pro who has written strategy articles concerning subjects like ROI, has turned his one grand buy-in into a $570,960 payday! That'll probably show up on the graph.

Congratulations to Marcel Volk, Event #54 winner.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 06, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »

Congratulations to Tomer Berda, Event #56 Champion ($825,976)

Tomer Berda played very solid throughout the day, but the road became very rocky once play was three-handed. Berda was one the shorter stacks at the time and after coming back from a break even he admitted his struggles.

"I am playing really bad," he told one of our reporters. "You can write that."

It all turned around from there. Berda eliminated our third place finisher Bryan Porter, and was headstrong entering heads up play with Vladimir Kochelaevskiy. The two passed the chip lead back and forth until Berda was fortunate enough to bink a giant double up right before our last break.

A few hands later, Berda finally eliminated Kochelaevskiy and his father greeted him with a giant bear hug.

Nothing can be taken from Kochelaevskiy however, the Russian proved today that he is a deadly No-Limit Hold'em player. His patience and timely aggression helped him amass a giant chip lead, but it just wasn't in the cards for him in the end.

This event, like many at the WSOP, attracted some of the best players in the world. Chris Moneymaker, Daniel Negreanu and Ivan Demidov are just a few of the 1,941 players who flooded the Pavilion Room three days ago with dreams of WSOP gold. The event took longer than expected, and a fourth day was added to the schedule for the final table.

Earlier today, nine players returned to fight for the bracelet. Alfonso Amendola was the first to go, and after falling very short Joseph Curcio followed him out the door. Ali Alawadhi missed a flush draw eliminating him in 7th place, Hungcheng Hung fell in 6th and although he began the day as our shortstack, Mike Wattel battled all the way to 5th place.

Salvatore Bonavena was eliminated on the very same hand as Wattel. Despite entering the day as a massive chip leader, Bonavena hit a rough patch and stalled in fourth place. Porter was the next to go and of course Berda bested Kochelaevskiy in their heads up match.

Congratulations to Tomer Berda for winning the 56th and final preliminary bracelet of the 2010 World Series of Poker!

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 06, 2010, 09:47:40 AM »

Event #57: $10,000 No-Limit Hold'em Championship
Day 1a completed

After four and a half levels of play we've reached the end of the opening flight of the 2010 World Series of Poker Main Event. The players are bagging up their chips and exchanging bad beat stories as they drift out of the Amazon Room, content in the knowledge that they've safely survived day one of the Main Event. For many, a huge achievement in itself, and hopefully the first of many long days ahead on their road to the Holy Grail.

We started out with 1,125 entrants and approximately 800 have lived to fight another day. It wasn't a great day for 2004 World Champion Greg Raymer, who started off in high spirits with the "Shuffle Up and Deal" honors, but just a few minutes later was crippled and eliminated from the tournament. Such are the highs and lows of tournament poker. Others to join Raymer on the rail included Nick Schulman, Chino Rheem, Mike Caro, Victor Ramdin, Jimmy Fricke and Ray Romano.

At the other end of the spectrum 2003 World Champion Chris Moneymaker should feature in the ESPN highlights as he was prominent along with $50,000 Poker Player's Championship winner Michael Mizrachi. It will be some time before we have the official end-of-day counts, but as the players were bagging up we spotted Dwyen Ringbauer with 191,125 which should put him near the top of the leaderboard. We'll have the official counts for the entire field for you shortly.

Join us again tomorrow as we do it all over again for Day 1b as the 2010 World Series of Poker Main Event.

Top Chip Counts
1    Dwyen Ringbauer 191,125
2    Michael Mizrachi    142,650
3    Felix Bleiker    136,300
4    Heinz Kamutzki    135,750
5    Ville Haavisto    125,000
6    Kevin McGowan    120,900
7    Austin McCormick 120,000
8    Getty Mattingsley 120,000
9    Giuliano Cipolla    119,225
10    Tyler Smith    115,050

819 of 1125 remain

Dan Carter 108,000

John Shipley 100,000

Praz Banzi 65,000

Nicky Evans 59,000

Tim Flanders 50,000

Steve Jelinek 48,000

Julian Thew 28,000

James Akenhead 16,000

Busted: Moorman, Ashby

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 06, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »

2010 World Series of Poker: Deconstructing the $25k 6-max

2010 July 06, Nicole Gordon, PokerNews

It was quite fitting that the World Series of Poker’s inaugural $25,000 buy-in no-limit hold’em short-handed event was won by a 21-year old Villanova University senior playing in his first year of eligibility. Through online tournament play, Dan “djk123” Kelly has won far more than the $1.3 million he took home on Sunday night, but to look at his live results alone prior to this event might leave a less-informed poker fan scratching his or her head. The $25k was full of surprises, from the number of entrants, to the speed of play, to the structure, to the sextet of players who made the final table. Let’s take a look back.

Field size fails to break 200

Almost anyone with a bet on the “under” on the number of entrants in the $25k got to cash in as registration closed on Day 1. 191 players bought in, anywhere between 40 and 50 less than most pundits were predicting. Last year’s $40,000 buy-in NLHE event drew 201 players, but it was also scheduled at the very beginning of the 2009 WSOP, while the $25K was Event #52 of 57 this year. This late in the Series, to put it bluntly, a lot of people are broke. There are a lot of NLHE pros out there that are dealing with less-than-encouraging results this summer and when you’re looking at a donut hole, it’s hard to reach into your pocket and pull out another $25,000 to play in a tournament where there are virtually no soft spots.

Three-bet, four-bet, five-bet, six

Despite a 75,000-chip starting stack, the pace of play was lightning-quick. Tom Dwan was out in the first level. Howard Lederer lasted about 20 minutes. Same goes for Yevgeniy Timoshenko. The steep price tag didn’t do a bit to discourage these players from pushing their chips around at a breakneck pace. If I had a dollar for every three-bet in this tournament, I could have skipped the WSOP and lounged on a beach in Maui for the last five weeks.

That’s how the kids like to do it these days. Even the final hand (where 11.2 million chips were in the pot) ended in a pre-flop five-bet shove and a call.

The structure received some complaints - or at least one loud one

Back on March 7, Daniel Negreanu wrote a post on his blog detailing what he believed to be the “world’s top ten toughest tournaments.” Although the inaugural $25k event was still almost four months away at that point, Negreanu ranked it second on his list. His prediction about the level of talent in the field was certainly true, as the world’s top online no-limit hold’em players did end up dominating the event, but by Day 3, Negreanu changed his tune when it came to the structure.

“The structures for all WSOP will be solid. No worries there,” Negreanu wrote on March 7.

On Day 3 of the $25k, Negreanu was among the 18 players that made the money and returned to play down to the final table. One full table of players busted within the first level and at one point during that flurry of eliminations, Negreanu walked up to me and expressed his frustration with the structure. At that stage of the tournament, the average stack was about 41 big blinds, and Negreanu thought there should be a lot more play later in the event for this level of buy-in.

“150-300 with a 25 ante is way too high to start,” he said.

“What about making them 75-minute levels instead of an hour?” I offered.

“How about 90-minute levels like in the $50k?” he countered.

A bit of research and number crunching did reveal that the stack sizes were similar at the same stage of last year’s $40k NLHE event. When the money bubble burst in that event, at 27 players, the average stack was 44.8 big blinds. In the still-running Event #56, $2,500 NLHE, the average stack when players hit the money was 30.8 big blinds.

Frank Kassela = surprise final tablist

At this point, it’s no secret that Frank Kassela is a world-class stud player. His two bracelets this year came in the $10,000 World Championship Seven-Card Stud Hi-Lo event and the $2,500 razz event. However, talk to Kassela himself and he’ll tell you that no-limit hold’em is his worst game.

Well, Kassela must have eaten his Wheaties or something on Sunday morning because he played some stunning poker at the final table of this event. Kassela adjusted extremely well to his opponents, specifically Dan Kelly. Kassela came over the top of Kelly’s perpetual three-bets on several occasions, sending a clear message to his opponents that he wasn’t going to be pushed around. Then, in a brilliant piece of advertising, Kassela open-folded ace-king to a four-bet shove from Kelly, a decision that perfectly set up the move he made on this hand.

Kassela opened for 140,000 and Kelly called from the small blind. Kelly checked the {A-Spades}{4-Diamonds}{3-Clubs} flop over to Kassela, who bet 180,000. Kelly called, and they both checked the {7-Clubs} on the turn. When the {8-Clubs} landed on the river, Kelly made it 400,000 to go and Kassela came in with a raise to 1,025,000. Kelly looked tortured about it, but he made the fold, and he got even sicker when Kassela showed him {A-Diamonds}{10-Clubs}. Kelly had folded ace-jack.

If not for a horrible river card after getting his money in against Shawn Buchanan as an 82 percent favorite, who knows how differently this tournament might have turned out. Regardless, Kassela still put a hammer-lock on his lead in the WSOP Player of the Year race.

The final table having its own day of play does make a difference

Dan Kelly made a stunning comeback on Day 3, going from 260,000 in chips to more than 5.8 million. Momentum was certainly on his side. However, in the early part of Day 4, Kelly seemed to lose his mojo just a bit as his opponents adjusted to his constant aggression. Sure, Kelly’s result ended up being the same as it might have been if the tournament had just played all the way down on Day 3, however he did get knocked around a bit at the beginning of the final table. It’s a tribute to his fortitude and mental toughness that he was able to shake off setbacks like discovering he’d folded the best hand to Frank Kassela’s river raise, and get right back on the horse.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 07, 2010, 09:43:22 AM »

Day1b Main event

Players Left  1021 Entries 1489

It was nearly twelve hours ago that players began to file into the Amazon Room and Pavilion to kick off the second Day 1 of the 2010 World Series of Poker Main Event. After four and a half levels of play, those lucky enough to still have chips in front of them are bagging them up and heading home for the night.

We started the day with 1,489 players. That's nearly 400 more than we had for yesterday's Day 1a. Not only was the entire Amazon room occupied by Main Event entrants, but there were another 450 players who started their day off in the Pavilion. Of those who started out today, it appears that just over 1,000 have been fortunate enough to make it through the day.

As was to be expected, it was another day full of appearances by high-profile players. Those who had their Main Event dreams cut short include Ivan Demidov, Joe Sebok, Erick Lindgren, Justin Bonomo, Bertrand Grospellier, Liv Boeree, Jamie Gold and Arnaud Mattern.

On a more positive note, we have plenty of players gearing up for Day 2. Our chip leader for the day appears to be James Danielson who will kick off his Day 2 with an impressive 201,050 chips. Trailing not far behind are Filippo Candio (167300), Robert Miller (155,225) and Jason DeWitt (149,850).

Some of the fortunate few to break the 100,000-chip mark include Alex Kostritsyn (106,000), Florian Langmann (100,000) and Kido Pham (114,000).

Other notables we can expect to see when they return on Day 2b include Gavin Griffin (97,200), Dan Kelly (74,000), Brandon Cantu (72,000), Johnny Lodden (62,500), Phil Laak (58,000), Jon Turner (63,825), Dan Harrington (45,000), George Lind (11,975), Gavin Smith (40,000) and on it goes...

Completing Day 1 is a goal for many in and of itself. It is, however, just the first necessary step on a long journey down the road to our final table in November

Top Chip Counts
1    James Danielson    201,050
2    Filippo Candio    167,300
3    Robert Miller    155,225
4    Jason DeWitt    149,850
5    Jacob Petersen    143,625
6    Gabe Walls            141,500
7    Phil Galfond    141,000
8    Chad Lauderback 132,350
9    Alex Kostritsyn    131,200
10    Jim Collopy            128,825

James Dempsey   79,000  

Roland de Wolfe   70,000  

Ben Vinson   68,000    

James Keys   67,000  

Ian Woodley   66,000    

Stephen Chidwick   58,500  

John Duthie    51,500  

John Eames   48,000  

Roberto Romanello   44,000  

Julian Gardner   39,500  

John Kalmar   29,000  

Daniel Rudd   28,000

Rupinder Bedi   26,400

Sam Trickett   Busted  
Keith Hawkins   Busted
Liv Boeree   Busted  

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 08, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »

When chips were bagged at the end of the night after Day 1c, the largest Day 1 of the 2010 World Series of Poker Main Event so far, Mathieu Sauriol led the pack, ending the night with a stack of 169,900. Snapping close at his heels is former WSOP Main Event winner Johnny Chan, who ended the night with 163,700, ahead of most of the 1,600+ players who made it out of Day 1C with chips.

Chan, who has been dormant through most of the 2010 WSOP chipped up before the final level of play when he turned his {K-Diamonds}{8-Diamonds} into a rivered flush to beat an opponents flopped trip sevens to bring his stack up to 165,000. Chan, will go into Day 2 as one of the combined chip leaders for sure, and will look to continue his run towards poker history.

Team PokerStars ProLex Veldhuis was nearly out of the tournament early in the day, but was able to get some action after a flopped full house holding pocket fours on a {4-Clubs}{6-Hearts}{6-Spades} board versus an opponent's {6-Diamonds}{7-Diamonds}. The opposing player missed his draw for a better full-house and the pot went to Veldhuis to increase his stack to about 40,000. Before the night was over, Veldhuis was able to continue his climb and bagged about 91,925.

Also returing to big stacks on Day 2 will be Lauren Kling, Barney Boatman, Michael Reed and Robert Mizrachi. Defending WSOP Main Event champion and Team PokerStars pro Joe Cada will return to a mid-sized stack, as will Daniel Negreanu and Patrik Antonius. Dennis Phillips and David Oppenheim managed to hang on until the end with chips, but will have some work to do if they hope make any noise on Day 2, as they will be returning to some of the shorter stacks in play.

Those unfortunate players who will not be back for Day 2 include Chad Brown, Alex Gomes, Tom Dwan, Neil Channing, Chau Giang, and Jeff Madsen. Former Main Event champions Jerry Yang and Huck Seed were also eliminated during the day.

Phil Hellmuth, arrived with the fanfare of a full on spectacle. He came out dressed as an MMA fighter, had a group of dancers performing, had famed MMA announcer Bruce Buffer lead him into the Rio. Unfortunately though, the day for Hellmuth ended with a knockout and the 11-time WSOP champion will walk away from this WSOP with no new jewelry.

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 39 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: