blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 1252 1253 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180721 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18720 on: July 08, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »

Faisal Islam is back, as economics editor of the BBC from sky

first take on data, trade wars, Brexit, fiscal gymnastics. How economics is driving global events

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48903058

Where has he been?

on gardening leave

Why is he doing economics now? He was great on politics.

Economics. The prince of disciplines. All the best people studied it

Anyway, it gives him a chance to disprove the following.

The First Law of Economists: For every economist, there exists an equal and opposite economist.

The Second Law of Economists: They’re both wrong.

(but its still important. good article too)

I assume that's longhand for 'I don't know?'

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18721 on: July 08, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »

No. I don't know Faisal.

Economic editor at the BBC a plum job, though didn't know they paid journo talent like Sky does. Sure it will be disclosed int he next audit as it now has to be

BBC Politics editor Laura K, no vacancy

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18722 on: July 08, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »

No. I don't know Faisal.

Economic editor at the BBC a plum job, though didn't know they paid journo talent like Sky does. Sure it will be disclosed int he next audit as it now has to be

I wasn't asking you if you know him, I was asking why he has gone from political editor to economics editor, but as I'm typing I'm wondering if he's new at the Beeb? Wasn't he political bloke with Sky?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18723 on: July 08, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »

Yes Sky to BBC

My eyes are open wide
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #18724 on: July 08, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »

No. I don't know Faisal.

I wasn't asking you if you know him, I was asking why he has gone from political editor to economics editor, but as I'm typing I'm wondering if he's new at the Beeb? Wasn't he political bloke with Sky?

In his own words

“ I'm back on this numbers beat because I contend that economics provides a better way to the explain how the world works, and why and when it doesn't work for some people than the goings-on in Westminster.”

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18725 on: July 08, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »

From Stewart Wood, a Labour Peer, ex government member and former Politics professor at Oxford

(i thought it was interesting)

"What kind of PM will Boris Johnson turn out to be?

Forget about the question of what he will do, just for a minute: here are 5 predictions about what I think will be the style of his Premiership. "

1. Expect bold populist announcements on smaller issues to pepper the front pages regularly. Both because PM Boris will think he can thereby connect with voters across partisan lines, & as a way of deflecting from ongoing crises (‘Flying flags in schools’, that kind of thing)

2. Expect disparate parts of his Party, Cabinet & Government to believe he has assured them of totally contradictory things. PM Boris will unite his party & country by supporting all sides in a disagreement. Which you can get away with for a long time, until you can’t anymore

3. Expect Boris Johnson’s foreign policy to be run by him from no.10. He believes in the domestic political properties of foreign policy, & he can give free reign to oratorical flourishes in remarks about foreign policy that he will try to keep under wraps in domestic policy.

4. Expect the return with a vengeance of old-style courting of media owners, editors & influential columnists by PM Boris. Breakfasts, phone calls, trades, supporting newspaper campaigns with a PM endorsement, & record numbers of op-eds in the PM’s name. He’ll play the game.

5. Expect the return of big bust-ups between no.10 & no.11 on questions of tax & spending. PM Boris will over-promise & want to own the “PM who ended austerity” tag. When Treasury says no to him, Boris will ensure the world knows how beancounter-ish they are. Sparks will fly.

My eyes are open wide
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #18726 on: July 08, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »

Faisal Islam is back, as economics editor of the BBC from sky

first take on data, trade wars, Brexit, fiscal gymnastics. How economics is driving global events

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48903058

Interesting times indeed, thanks for posting

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18727 on: July 09, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »

New ComRes poll including hypothetical Johnson v Hunt

would be a notional 40 seat Boris majority

Mostly Brexit Party voters switching to Johnson assuming he'll get us out of EU: if he doesn't, or on "surrender treaty" terms, hell to pay (down the line electorally)

but for now it adds fuel to thoughts of trying to kick the parliamentary logjam into the long grass by getting a majority then going to the EU with somel everage

New Lab policy (via Unite see below) implies fighting a GE (should one happen in time) on commitment to proceed with Brexit. Occurs to me that makes autumn election *more* attractive to Johnson. Proper Brexiters wouldn't trust Corbyn but he wouldn't have clear pitch for full-remainers...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:29:28 AM by TightEnd » Logged

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18728 on: July 09, 2019, 10:26:43 AM »

Labour's Brexit pinhead-dancing is increasingly amusing. The new policy appears to be that Labour will negotiate a better deal with the EU but may then ask voters to reject it. Or, if you prefer, not.

the agreed Union position as of yesterday is

- whatever deal negotiated by Boris Johnson OR exit date on No Deal should go to a second referendum.
- Remain vs that deal should be on ballot paper.
- Labour would campaign for Remain.

may be a sensible political compromise but it’s still a communications nightmare: ‘we want a second referendum and we’ll campaign for remain against a tory deal but we’d negotiate a new Brexit in power, have a referendum on it, and campaign for Huh?'

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18729 on: July 09, 2019, 10:27:32 AM »

In exclusive comments to Prospect, WTO Director General Roberto Azevêdo contradicts Brexiteer claims on no-deal tariffs and "Gatt 24"

"If there is no agreement, then Article XXIV would not apply, and the standard WTO terms would." Big intervention

notable for just how scathing it is

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/economics-and-finance/jumping-from-league-one-to-league-three-wto-insiders-scathing-assessments-of-a-wto-brexit

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18730 on: July 09, 2019, 10:28:36 AM »

this is a fabulous watch/listen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006yxz

never thought John Major could get cross?

woah.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18731 on: July 09, 2019, 10:30:19 AM »

and then this came

@realDonaldTrump

I have been very critical about the way the U.K. and Prime Minister Theresa May handled Brexit. What a mess she and her representatives have created. I told her how it should be done, but she decided to go another way. I do not know the Ambassador, but he is not liked or well thought of within the U.S. We will no longer deal with him. The good news for the wonderful United Kingdom is that they will soon have a new Prime Minister. While I thoroughly enjoyed the magnificent State Visit last month, it was the Queen who I was most impressed with!   

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18732 on: July 09, 2019, 10:31:35 AM »

which, amongst other things produced this fantastic story/picture combo

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18733 on: July 09, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »

"A spiffing tale of how Brexit was ‘spaffed’ away

Chris Cook’s book paints UK swing to political and administrative incompetence"

(Robin Cook's son)

"Cook’s book is the first coherent account we have of the Brexit negotiations as seen by the politicians and civil servants involved on the British side"

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-a-spiffing-tale-of-how-brexit-was-spaffed-away-1.3950422

My eyes are open wide
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18734 on: July 09, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »

and then this came

@realDonaldTrump

I have been very critical about the way the U.K. and Prime Minister Theresa May handled Brexit. What a mess she and her representatives have created. I told her how it should be done, but she decided to go another way. I do not know the Ambassador, but he is not liked or well thought of within the U.S. We will no longer deal with him. The good news for the wonderful United Kingdom is that they will soon have a new Prime Minister. While I thoroughly enjoyed the magnificent State Visit last month, it was the Queen who I was most impressed with!   

He'll probably try to start his own monarchy in the US with himself as King.

Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 1252 1253 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: