blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:21:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 356735 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: April 12, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »

The link is explaining why we shouldn’t wait. The time to scrutinise why our response is give or take the world’s worsts so far is now. Afterwards the Tory machine will be all out for ‘that was bad chaps but let’s move on’.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1249247210287570944?s=21

Do you think labour would have ignored the advice they were being given and done something differently?
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 12, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »

The link is explaining why we shouldn’t wait. The time to scrutinise why our response is give or take the world’s worsts so far is now. Afterwards the Tory machine will be all out for ‘that was bad chaps but let’s move on’.

Do you think labour would have ignored the advice they were being given and done something differently?

I think Labour (what I think Labour would have done is irrelevant but since you asked*) would have acted more in line with almost every other government in the world. The decision was absolutely a political one. The worldwide scientific consensus was overwhelmingly against the view that our government and their scientists chose to pursue.

https://twitter.com/laineydoyle/status/1249127908876128259?s=21

A better question might be ‘what would any government other than one led by Dipshit Johnson have done? It was a bad time to have a post truther in charge, the USA will suffer for the same reason. Although Trump has much less control due to state autonomy, so their ‘leadership’ problem, is smaller.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 12, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »

I think Labour (what I think Labour would have done is irrelevant but since you asked*) would have acted more in line with almost every other government in the world. The decision was absolutely a political one. The worldwide scientific consensus was overwhelmingly against the view that our government and their scientists chose to pursue.

A better question might be ‘what would any government other than one led by Dipshit Johnson have done? It was a bad time to have a post truther in charge, the USA will suffer for the same reason. Although Trump has much less control due to state autonomy, so their ‘leadership’ problem, is smaller.

So you think they would have ignored the advice they were given about what was best for the UK, good to know.......You can’t possibly say what is right or wrong until this has all gone through the wash, don’t pretend otherwise as nobody really knows for certain.

Your angle is clear to see, and confirmed as soon as you mention the word dipshit. You are nothing more than a momentum mouthpiece, Twatter is probably a better place to post this nonsense than on here.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 12, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »

So you think they would have ignored the advice they were given about what was best for the UK, good to know.......You can’t possibly say what is right or wrong until this has all gone through the wash, don’t pretend otherwise as nobody really knows for certain.

Your angle is clear to see, and confirmed as soon as you mention the word dipshit. You are nothing more than a momentum mouthpiece, Twatter is probably a better place to post this nonsense than on here.

I have never knowingly had anything to do with Momentum. I’m not even really interested in them and don’t really know who they are. We might have supported the same politicians, from very different perspectives, in the past but that’s about it.
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1354 on: April 12, 2020, 03:10:43 PM »

Going forward there will be a decision to make when should the lockdown be relaxed?

A business person who misses out on a govt loan/ furloughing of workers may suggest tomorrow. A medic may say when cases worldwide are at zero. In reality neither of these options are possible,

The decision of when to change the rules is political, science can be used as a fig leaf, how many extra deaths caused by CV19 would be acceptable.

About 30k will die in this wave of the virus. What happens next?

Option 1 - even tighter lockdown for the rest of the year, probably another 20k deaths, No one gets to see their parents again this year.
Option 2 - phased relaxation in late May perhaps the kids so to school for the second half term shops can open with social distancing , but pubs, churches, football stadiums, concerts all closed ( buses, tubes and trains?Huh??) another 50k die in this wave, new lockdown in September, repeat in Oct and lockdown at Xmas till March. = 200,000 die
Option 3 - rules relaxed after July, / people just ignore any rules that are made. 500,000 dies this year as too many people choose to live life as normal rather than being trapped at home.
Option 4 - science / aliens create a cure and vaccine by May and everyone can go back to blaming Boris and looking forward to leaving the EU properly in December

How does society make a choice between these options?

What if France chooses 1 but we choose 2 and Sweden chooses 3?

I think the chances of international mass tourism opening up for summer holidays is unlikely. I think 2 is the only option with lots of noise / activity with testing which moves the timings around a bit.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 12, 2020, 03:23:42 PM »

Saying they are following science is a bit misleading though.  They released the scientific papers and different options were clearly included.   

The scientists, doctors, modellers and civil servants all advise, but the Government decides the course of action. 

I think it is optimistic to say a Corbyn Labour Government would have acted quicker.  It wasn't that long ago that Corbyn was saying that he wasn't going to be social distancing.  Think it is toss up between that and Johnson's continuing hand shaking.   A Starmer led labour party might be different.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 12, 2020, 03:31:00 PM »

Going forward there will be a decision to make when should the lockdown be relaxed?

A business person who misses out on a govt loan/ furloughing of workers may suggest tomorrow. A medic may say when cases worldwide are at zero. In reality neither of these options are possible,

The decision of when to change the rules is political, science can be used as a fig leaf, how many extra deaths caused by CV19 would be acceptable.

About 30k will die in this wave of the virus. What happens next?

Option 1 - even tighter lockdown for the rest of the year, probably another 20k deaths, No one gets to see their parents again this year.
Option 2 - phased relaxation in late May perhaps the kids so to school for the second half term shops can open with social distancing , but pubs, churches, football stadiums, concerts all closed ( buses, tubes and trains?Huh??) another 50k die in this wave, new lockdown in September, repeat in Oct and lockdown at Xmas till March. = 200,000 die
Option 3 - rules relaxed after July, / people just ignore any rules that are made. 500,000 dies this year as too many people choose to live life as normal rather than being trapped at home.
Option 4 - science / aliens create a cure and vaccine by May and everyone can go back to blaming Boris and looking forward to leaving the EU properly in December

How does society make a choice between these options?

What if France chooses 1 but we choose 2 and Sweden chooses 3?

I think the chances of international mass tourism opening up for summer holidays is unlikely. I think 2 is the only option with lots of noise / activity with testing which moves the timings around a bit.

I think it’s 2 but with a much more optimistic take on how many deaths there will be. Screening will need to be done syndromically rather than via a clinical test, we just can’t get up to the capacity needed in this timescale. Thousands will need to be recruited to carry out the symptom based screening and there’ll need to be draconian measures in place to ensure no one abuses the situation. We’lll also need a huge amount of education and understanding from the public. Regrettably I don’t see an option that doesn’t involve completely closure of borders for an extended period.

You have to warm to Boris on a human level after hearing him talk about his time in hospital.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 12, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »

On what do you base this judgement?

Seems to me that our response has been pretty good for a country that isn’t a police state.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/   has numbers for all nations and our deaths/million is substantially below that if Italy and of Spain. Both of which recorded their first cases at around the same time that we did.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1358 on: April 12, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »

Assuming tracing works, person A is asymptomatic gets on a train on Monday then gets a fever on Tuesday, everyone is contacted on that carriage and on the next tube ride A was on and the two return journeys. Suddenly 200 people are quarantined for 14 days. They go back to work and 3 days later they are on another journey with an infected person and have another 2 weeks at home. London commuters are going to spend more time in quarantine than at work.

No one uses public transport and everyone gets in a car, instant grid lock.

Small towns in the north where everyone has to go by car rather than London are going to get closer to a new normal than big cities.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 12, 2020, 03:52:53 PM »

Seems to me that our response has been pretty good for a country that isn’t a police state.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/   has numbers for all nations and our deaths/million is substantially below that if Italy and of Spain. Both of which recorded their first cases at around the same time that we did.

I base it on the fact that we had an opportunity to act at a much earlier stage in the progression of the epidemic than all countries can that we can be compared with in a meaningful sense (France/Germany/Italy and Spain), instead we chose to act later and it is basically in the system already that we’ll have the most deaths by a street. We are also losing members of the healthcare profession at an devastating rate. If the numbers from Italy are correct and are comparable on the rest of the mainland, we’ll top that tragic table as well.

We seem to be the only country whose nursing staff have been told to refuse to provide treatment if they continue to not receive adequate PPE, that’s a bad indicator.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 12, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »

Assuming tracing works, person A is asymptomatic gets on a train on Monday then gets a fever on Tuesday, everyone is contacted on that carriage and on the next tube ride A was on and the two return journeys. Suddenly 200 people are quarantined for 14 days. They go back to work and 3 days later they are on another journey with an infected person and have another 2 weeks at home. London commuters are going to spend more time in quarantine than at work.

No one uses public transport and everyone gets in a car, instant grid lock.

Small towns in the north where everyone has to go by car rather than London are going to get closer to a new normal than big cities.

I think the more complete the lockdown, the more control you have over the release. It’s close to an insoluble problem but the countries that have done well have definitely leant on syndromic diagnosis and we must be able to learn from that.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 12, 2020, 03:58:30 PM »

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/   has numbers for all nations and our deaths/million is substantially below that if Italy and of Spain. Both of which recorded their first cases at around the same time that we did.

I base it on the fact that we had an opportunity to act at a much earlier stage in the progression of the epidemic than all countries can that we can be compared with in a meaningful sense (France/Germany/Italy and Spain), instead we chose to act later and it is basically in the system already that we’ll have the most deaths by a street. We are also losing members of the healthcare profession at an devastating rate. If the numbers from Italy are correct and are comparable on the rest of the mainland, we’ll top that tragic table as well.

We seem to be the only country whose nursing staff have been told to refuse to provide treatment if they continue to not receive adequate PPE, that’s a bad indicator.

Regular readers will know that I’m a bit obsessed with this chart. I guarantee you we won’t get down below any of the comparable nations with no tracing and lockdown very lite.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1249093625532813313?s=21
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:00:44 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 12, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »

We are back to the clowns in the media asking for apologies.

These questions in the daily briefing  are becoming more and more pointless.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 12, 2020, 05:01:38 PM »

This is a good interview, with someone whose view deserves respect:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-government-close-to-lies-over-coronavirus-deaths-warns-expert-11972083
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 12, 2020, 05:01:43 PM »

We are back to the clowns in the media asking for apologies.

These questions in the daily briefing  are becoming more and more pointless.

They should vet the questions beforehand and only allow those to be asked that are relevant and not repetitive.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: