blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:49:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 354002 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: November 15, 2020, 12:29:57 AM »

I saw something yesterday that suggested that they now had the highest rate of cases in Europe to the size of population.   Guess they don't figure much on lockdown sceptics right now, though chances are they will just stop the data when it is inconvenient. 

They have just bought in some more restrictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/12/covid-infections-in-sweden-surge-dashing-hopes-of-herd-immunity

Saturday's death data for the UK wasn't great and some of the preliminary daily actuals are already pretty high.  It isn't really a surprise given the reported cases were above 500 for 3 days in a row.  There are signs the cases may be falling in the North West (which was the hotspot) and in Wales and Scotland (where there were earlier stronger restrictions), but I don't think we can be sure that the cases are falling nationwide. 

I don't know where they can go at the end of this lockdown period unless there is a much more significant change in outlook.   The Covid Recovery Group seem to be really badly timed with all the bad data coming from Europe and the US too. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3361 on: November 15, 2020, 09:10:08 AM »

Hopefully the Pfizer vaccine will get sign off later this month and the Oxford one will give good results and sign off in Dec.

Vaccinations will then start , maybe they can do 1m injections a week, starting in Dec.

2m in the NHS, 0.5m in care home plus staff (let’s say 0.5m) then all the over 70s 3.3m totals 6.3m people so 12m doses, if the UK does million a week  - so we are looking at end of Feb for the most vulnerable to have some protection.(there are lots of vulnerable under 70s as well but they are lower down the list)

Christmas shopping with 2 months purchases  compacted into 3 weeks is going to be a mess, huge queues etc etc

Then many people will meet for Xmas day - hospitals in Jan will be overloaded, vaccinations won’t have  taken effect in time.

Meeting at Xmas needs to be severely limited, then give the hope of family meals in late Feb when the older population will be safer.

Age breakdown of auK

0-4   3,857,263
5-9   4,149,852
10-14   3,953,866
15-19   3,656,968
20-24   4,153,080
25-29   4,514,249
30-34   4,497,132
35-39   4,395,667
40-44   4,019,539
45-49   4,402,122
50-54   4,661,015
55-59   4,405,908
60-64   3,755,185
65-69   3,368,199
70-74   3,318,867
75-79   2,325,296
80-84   1,715,328
85-89   1,042,090
90 and over   605,181

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 16, 2020, 01:31:40 AM »

Fingers crossed
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 01:45:15 AM by the sicilian » Logged

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3363 on: November 16, 2020, 07:55:22 PM »

I need to learn to count.

3m NHS and care homes, 3.3m over 80s and 5.5m in their 70s
total 11.8m

Two doses makes 23.6m injections, at 1m per week is mid May which would be far more depressing.

Which means they need 2m injections a week to make an impact.

Anything after Easter will only see big benefits in winter 21//22.

Easter school hols then the seasonal effects of lowering R should limit it the excess deaths till sept 21.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 18, 2020, 10:46:48 PM »

Dr John update with some numbers.

Only need to watch the first two minutes if you're a tiktokker Smiley

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: November 19, 2020, 08:15:01 AM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-54353697

This article struck a chord with me today. We are due to have our first child in 6 weeks time. This is very "first world problems" but we didn't get the opportunity to go to the scans together or attend any midwife appointment stuff. I am the only person allowed to be at the birth which is the most upsetting - my partner is obviously very nervous and would have felt more comforted to have her mum and family in the room or waiting close by.

No complaints of course but a very strange time to be going through this. Will be a positive end to a crap year. Generation COVID!

Little boy arrived yesterday after partner started contractions last Friday - FIVE days! They may need to stay in for a couple of nights and I can only visit between 3pm-4pm. Hoping I might be able to get them home today. Terrifying but amazing.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3366 on: November 19, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »

This article struck a chord with me today. We are due to have our first child in 6 weeks time. This is very "first world problems" but we didn't get the opportunity to go to the scans together or attend any midwife appointment stuff. I am the only person allowed to be at the birth which is the most upsetting - my partner is obviously very nervous and would have felt more comforted to have her mum and family in the room or waiting close by.

No complaints of course but a very strange time to be going through this. Will be a positive end to a crap year. Generation COVID!

Little boy arrived yesterday after partner started contractions last Friday - FIVE days! They may need to stay in for a couple of nights and I can only visit between 3pm-4pm. Hoping I might be able to get them home today. Terrifying but amazing.

Congratulations.

Your life will never be the same but it's worth it.

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 19, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »

Congratulations, mate!

Hope you manage to get them home before the weekend.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: November 19, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »

My missus had two huge sessions, both over 24 hours, and I can't imagine 5 days of that.   Hope Covid meant you didn't have to alternate between standing and the most uncomfortable seat in the World for 5 days.   

Hope they both get out soon and get plenty of sleep now.  As Red says they are great and completely worth it once you get through the initial few months.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: November 19, 2020, 04:28:35 PM »

My missus had two huge sessions, both over 24 hours, and I can't imagine 5 days of that.   Hope Covid meant you didn't have to alternate between standing and the most uncomfortable seat in the World for 5 days.   

Hope they both get out soon and get plenty of sleep now.  As Red says they are great and completely worth it once you get through the initial few months.

I’ll take the overs.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: November 19, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »

I’ll take the overs.

My parents would probably say 4 decades Grin

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: November 19, 2020, 06:17:11 PM »

Congratulations on your new arrival.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 19, 2020, 08:18:48 PM »

Jesus, congrats mate. Hope your partner (Tasha?) is doing well after 5 days of contractions(!) and baby obv.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: November 19, 2020, 09:55:45 PM »

Thanks gang, Tasha and George both doing well. Think they will be allowed home tomorrow afternoon. One more night of sleep. :-)
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: November 20, 2020, 12:41:10 PM »

I’ll take the overs.

My parents would probably say 4 decades Grin

Approaching that mark as a parent myself, and I’m still inclined to take the overs on 4 decades..l

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: