blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  COVID19
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 260 ... 305 Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID19  (Read 356402 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3825 on: February 16, 2021, 05:35:43 PM »

Goes throught the vaccine 'deaths' today.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: February 16, 2021, 05:39:38 PM »

This channel is pretty good, and usually nice short videos, too.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: February 16, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »

I can't get through his videos.  I could only get through that last one, as it was only 2 minutes.  Even then it took some time to pick them apart, so can't imagine the work that goes into going through a 30 minute one like yesterday's.  

I'd gone at "look in to my eyes", it is just basic confidence trickster spiel, "would I lie to you? I have 5 kids and just care about their future"... and here is my patreon account.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: February 16, 2021, 05:46:24 PM »

I can't get through his videos.  I could only get through that last one, as it was only 2 minutes.  Even then it took some time to pick them apart, so can't imagine the work that goes into going through a 30 minute one like yesterday's.  

I'd gone at "look in to my eyes", it is just basic confidence trickster spiel, "would I lie to you? I have 5 kids and just care about their future"... and here is my patreon account.  

Don't forget paypal for a monthly or one-off donation Grin

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: February 17, 2021, 09:39:32 AM »

This channel is pretty good, and usually nice short videos, too.

I read quite a few of his tweets; I have never seen any of his videos until this one.  All sounds positive.  His app has produced useful up to date data throughout.    One of the good guys of this pandemic.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: February 17, 2021, 03:27:49 PM »

More good news over the last week.

Cases are now down to about 10k to 15k a day.  There have been a lot of calls to open up now, but this seems premature.  We were at these levels when we ended mini lockdown 2, and that rapidly turned to shit.  This time a lot of the vulnerable are already vaccinated, which is obviously a positive, but hospitalisations are still well above November levels.  It just all seems premature.  Hopsitalisations are currently just below 30k (I can see 26k, but there may be some reporting delays).  By contrast, hospitalisations were nearer 15,000 when we ended mini lockdown 2.  It feels like it may well be OK to lift some restrictions outside, but leave much of the rest for around when schools reopen at the beginning of March.

Deaths in England and Wales are definitely below 1,000 a day now; I said about 700 when I posted last week, but it was a little over that.  Given they are now falling by about 20% a week, I am guessing we are down at about 600 a day now. This is around double the level we were at when the mini lockdown 2 ended, and way above the number when the first lockdown ended.

Having said all this, the weather can't get any colder and vaccination numbers are still flying.  I am pretty optimistic overall, and don't see a wave of future lockdowns, even if the South African variant becomes the dominant one.

Mostly good news again.

Firtly some bad news to get past.  The CMI have released their latest report and deaths were still 47% higher than expected a couple of weeks ago(this was age adjusted).  The good news is that was down on the week before, but their age adjusted figures are now showing over 100k exceess deaths in total, so I don't think there is much of an argument that at least 100,000 peole have died of Covid in the UK now).

On to all the good news.

Last week, cases were in the range 10k to 15k for the whole of the UK, right now they are very much about to go through 10k, so I think next week we'll see a string of reported cases in 4 figures.

The trend in deaths has been much more negative, with rates now falling by about 30% a week.  Deaths were probably below 500 a day in England this time last week.  There may still be some lag in that number, but the number today is probably very close to the level where lockdown 2 ended.  Some of this effect is likely due to vaccinations now, as the trend in the reduction is accelerating, and over half the deaths have been in the over 80s.

Hospitalisations are falling too, but slower than deaths.  The hospitalisation rate has fallen from 4k a day to 1.5k a day for the whole UK, but there are still 21k Covid patients in hospital (peak was near 40K).

ICU is where we are seeing the slowest reductions.  There are now 2,800 patients on ventilators, which is down from 4k at peak.

This is all in line with some predictions the actuaries response group made some time ago.  Cases fall most rapidly, followed by deaths, hospitalisations and finally ICU beds.  This may not be obvious, but it is due to middle aged people still having a fairly significant hospitalisation rate even if deaths amongst that group aren't that high.  Models can still be pretty good at this stuff (Hi Ivor).

We are now over 15m vaccinations too, and I still think the numbers are brilliant each week when I see them. 

Away from the UK figures, some of the Scottish figures are realeased quicker than those that are UK wide, in particular the deaths by age group.  There appears to be a noticeable falling off in mortality amongst the over 80s and those in care homes in Scotland.  Deaths in care homes in Scotland are now showing below average for the time of year.  I expect some of that will be data lag, but that is still remarkable.  I think it must be clear by now that this is down to vaccination (rather than HcQ, Zinc and split seasonality curves or whatever it was Ivor was claiming, but maybe there was a heat wave last week?)

https://twitter.com/VictimOfMaths/status/1362036927294279687       

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: February 17, 2021, 04:04:17 PM »

Always appreciate your weekly updates Mr Doobs

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3832 on: February 17, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »

+1

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: February 17, 2021, 04:59:20 PM »

Great stuff, Doobs!

WSO6-MaxP on the way Grin

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: February 17, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »

+1

Thanks all, I am pleased somebody else thinks it is worthwhile.  

I don't mind doing it now, as it doesn't take too long, and I think weekly is a good gap.  It is much easier to see the trends, and the changes in them.  The daily numbers vary too much, because of weekend differences and you can get mislead by the lags in the data.    

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: February 17, 2021, 05:19:49 PM »

+1

I don't mind doing it now, as it doesn't take too long, and I think weekly is a good gap.  It is much easier to see the trends, and the changes in them.  The daily numbers vary too much, because of weekend differences and you can get mislead by the lags in the data.    

Just lazy, obv... Unlike Ivor, who is  so busy he can't even read the docs he uses as evidence Grin

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: February 17, 2021, 05:32:28 PM »

+1

Just lazy, obv... Unlike Ivor, who is  so busy he can't even read the docs he uses as evidence Grin

Ivor was on form last night; I think he showed why posting every 5 minutes has its drawbacks.   Someone took apart his latest 30 minute "gish gallop".  He obviously had read none of the reply as he chose to debunk the reply by posting a link to the very same video that had just been taken apart.

Look into my eyes > peer reviewed evidence obv.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: February 17, 2021, 05:37:10 PM »

+1

Ivor was on form last night; I think he showed why posting every 5 minutes has its drawbacks.   Someone took apart his latest 30 minute "gish gallop".  He obviously had read none of the reply as he chose to debunk the reply by posting a link to the very same video that had just been taken apart.

I saw him reply with the same link a few times in one thread Cheesy

https://twitter.com/AtomsksSanakan/status/1361744135619809280

Think it might have been that one.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: February 17, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »

+1

I saw him reply with the same link a few times in one thread Cheesy

https://twitter.com/AtomsksSanakan/status/1361744135619809280

Think it might have been that one.

yep

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: February 17, 2021, 06:15:45 PM »

+1

+2 doobs.  Excellent short summary of the whole situation.  Great work thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 260 ... 305 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: