blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:29:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197944 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: June 27, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »

funny, even you think its bollocks

Jonas ‏@JonasHalo

Boris Johnson trying to get the shit back in the horse.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »

Schäuble's Brexit plan

worth a read

https://global.handelsblatt.com/edition/457/ressort/politics/article/schaubles-secret-brexit-plan

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: June 27, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »

Tom Forth ‏@thomasforth

"We will take back control of immigration"
"British people will still be free to work in the EU"
Not compatible.

Rafael Behr Verified account
‏@rafaelbehr

I suppose, in fairness, Boris's demand for free movt + single market (minus EU law and with no budget contrib) would be unique arrangement.

Rafael Behr ‏@rafaelbehr

...a unique arrangement that no other EU government could possibly agree to in a million years. So technical term is "taking the piss".

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: June 27, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »

ok i am done, that sums up yesterday

see what today brings

My eyes are open wide
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: June 27, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »

funny, even you think its bollocks

Jonas ‏@JonasHalo

Boris Johnson trying to get the shit back in the horse.

its above bollocks
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:26 AM »

ok i am done, that sums up yesterday

see what today brings

It brings 572 conference calls for me.

Thank you for sharing, some really interesting stuff in there.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: June 27, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »

"We who agreed with this majority decision must accept that it was not entirely overwhelming"

Boris Johnson.

Hahahahaha.

You almost have to respect the bare faced cheek of the fella.

Waiting breathlessly for his next move.

We are not leaving the EU. Take that to the bank.

Care to price it up alongside pricing up 2030 whether UK is better of or not outside of the EU which you ignored earlier .

How do you quantify how the UK will be better off or not?

The rich, on the whole, will be better off and the poor will be worse off.

Whether that means the UK is better off or not is a pointless argument.

GDP per head I reckon is the best measure? (admittedly won't show inequality but will factor in the productivity/population size issues which seem key to the Leave campaign)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: June 27, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »

The biggest irony for me is that economic performance hinges on confidence and certainty and this is what all you economic experts are undermining with your negativity.

However, that said do economics experts believe we should bring back capital punishment? It's much cheaper to kill a fella than put him in prison for life. In fact why don't we bring in Sharia Law as it's going to be much more economically viable than the present UK justice system? Why don't we just close the NHS, we would save a fortune. Why did I go to Barbados on holiday rather than Bognor Regis this year? Why do we bowl around the world fighting wars to defend democracy? It's cheaper to not bother etc etc etc.

The British people have been driven by what it means to be British. We were ignored before, concerns weren't taken seriously, now we have spoken in a democratic process the idea is to continue ignoring the people because of economics? I hate to break it to the economics experts but economics isn't the driver for the majority here, we had the courage to ignore the scare stories and threats to stand up for what we think is right. That's what it means to be British. 

Oh incidentally check out how Nicola Sturgeon walks, she's got a little bops in her step, like those guys who wear their jeans around their ankles. Most peculiar.

Capital punishment isn't cheaper than jail.  Costs bloody fortunes. 

Sharia law isn't just capital punishment either, so who knows if it is cheaper.

Private health care isn't cheaper than the NHS overall. 

I'd also query your view on the reason why yiu think we get involved in most wars.

People have voted the way they have for all sorts of reasons. My mum told me she didn't want a European army.  She believes the daily express over her son it seems.  She is getting on a bit and she has been great to me, so I didn't push it. 

Suspect a big proportion have been mislead and are just plain ignorant on various issues. 

Cheers.

Fwiw Bognor isn't that great.

Doobs. I gather you are trying to find employment.

If you take the attitude of always being right into interviews, you may struggle a bit old love.

Good luck. Adz

It is probably best to argue the points rather than indulge in as hominem attacks too.  

Which points I made do you think were wrong?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: June 27, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »

The next 3+ years are going to be very rocky. I strongly believe that there will be a recession and advise people to consider fixing their mortgages for as long as possible as inflation and interest rates will start to rise. My brother recently bought a flat and he is stretched to repay the current mortgage, I have told him to prepare for a worst-case scenario of interest rates rising to 15%. It happened in the 80s and it could happen again.

For anyone worried about job security, now is a good time to take out some 0% no-fee balance transfer credit cards. This is effectively an APR-free two-year loan which you can squirrel away in a cash ISA and withdraw in two years to repay the card before the interest-free period ends. If your mortgage needs to be renewed within this 2 years be careful because they may not look fondly on this large amount sitting on a credit card.

Aren't they more likely to cut the interest rate if we go into recession?

Raising the interest rates would be to curb inflation - imported goods might push inflation up a bit, but wouldn't have thought it would be enough to outweigh the need to get people spending (?)

Out of the EU the UK can embark on actual Mugabe-style money printing with the inflationary pressures that brings.  It won't be pretty.

The EU have done over a trillion of QE via the ECB (well will be by Sept).  They are as happy to get involved in that aspect as much as the next man!

QE is a different beast from pure money printing as it buys bonds keeping interest low. 

The UK will do QE as well judging by the last 10 years.  Unless you think we'll got for some kind of "People's QE" type solution as proposed by the likes of Richard Murphy - but can't see the Bank of England going for that.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: June 27, 2016, 10:22:36 AM »

i thought this was a bit of a jaw dropper

Click to see full-size image.

Where is this from?  I don't believe it is true.   Whilst those in power don't seem to have much of a plan, I am pretty sure those below them worked on one. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: June 27, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »

The biggest irony for me is that economic performance hinges on confidence and certainty and this is what all you economic experts are undermining with your negativity.

However, that said do economics experts believe we should bring back capital punishment? It's much cheaper to kill a fella than put him in prison for life. In fact why don't we bring in Sharia Law as it's going to be much more economically viable than the present UK justice system? Why don't we just close the NHS, we would save a fortune. Why did I go to Barbados on holiday rather than Bognor Regis this year? Why do we bowl around the world fighting wars to defend democracy? It's cheaper to not bother etc etc etc.

The British people have been driven by what it means to be British. We were ignored before, concerns weren't taken seriously, now we have spoken in a democratic process the idea is to continue ignoring the people because of economics? I hate to break it to the economics experts but economics isn't the driver for the majority here, we had the courage to ignore the scare stories and threats to stand up for what we think is right. That's what it means to be British. 

Oh incidentally check out how Nicola Sturgeon walks, she's got a little bops in her step, like those guys who wear their jeans around their ankles. Most peculiar.

Capital punishment isn't cheaper than jail.  Costs bloody fortunes. 

Sharia law isn't just capital punishment either, so who knows if it is cheaper.

Private health care isn't cheaper than the NHS overall. 

I'd also query your view on the reason why yiu think we get involved in most wars.

People have voted the way they have for all sorts of reasons. My mum told me she didn't want a European army.  She believes the daily express over her son it seems.  She is getting on a bit and she has been great to me, so I didn't push it. 

Suspect a big proportion have been mislead and are just plain ignorant on various issues. 

Cheers.

Fwiw Bognor isn't that great.

Doobs. I gather you are trying to find employment.

If you take the attitude of always being right into interviews, you may struggle a bit old love.

Good luck. Adz

It is probably best to argue the points rather than indulge in as hominem attacks too.  

Which points I made do you think were wrong?

Where did I say your points were wrong?

I haven't done the research to either agree or not.

My point is, your style in putting across your point is somewhat #knowitall

Certainly wasn't undermining your character to argue the facts. Wink

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »

Where is this from?  I don't believe it is true.   Whilst those in power don't seem to have much of a plan, I am pretty sure those below them worked on one. 

it was from a new statesman blog. sorry have deleted all yesterday's links to tidy up the bomb site that is my bookmarks folder

it sounded very odd to me too, but it was a striking paragraph

My eyes are open wide
hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »

I am pretty sure there was a permanent secretary, Bernard Aldrick, who was tasked with this.

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: June 27, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »

Politically there doesn't appear to be much of a plan from either side. I don't think the EU really had a plan either? Long nights in Brussels trying to figure things out too now.

At least the BoE seemed to have thought about it and waded in sharpish to reasonable effect.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: June 27, 2016, 10:45:33 AM »

Politically there doesn't appear to be much of a plan from either side. I don't think the EU really had a plan either? Long nights in Brussels trying to figure things out too now.

At least the BoE seemed to have thought about it and waded in sharpish to reasonable effect.

I was pretty sure the Bank of England had a plan from my dealings with them. 

It was stated before the referendum that pro brexit people in government were not getting support from civil servants.  That isn't the same as saying the civil servants didn't have a plan. 

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: