blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 1113 1114 [1115] 1116 1117 1118 1119 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180958 times)
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #16710 on: March 10, 2019, 11:13:02 AM »

The big problem here is that the EU cannot continue without our money (their cost base is very high).  There is no easy way for them to replace the money we have been contributing other than sticking it to us.  We were their cash cow and they want this to continue.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #16711 on: March 10, 2019, 11:52:17 AM »

TUE: May loses vote (but with more votes)
WED: Hoc votes against no deal
Thur: HOC vote to extend A50

AFTER: May tries to extend A50, EU say no

That's my personal favourite

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16712 on: March 10, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »

The big problem here is that the EU cannot continue without our money (their cost base is very high).  There is no easy way for them to replace the money we have been contributing other than sticking it to us.  We were their cash cow and they want this to continue.

“Cannot continue without our money” seems to be fundamentally untrue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_the_European_Union

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16713 on: March 10, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »

TUE: May loses vote (but with more votes)
WED: Hoc votes against no deal
Thur: HOC vote to extend A50

AFTER: May tries to extend A50, EU say no

That's my personal favourite

i would love that too.

Think Ripple's scenario, much as it is about the most pointless outcome to the whole affair, is quite likely to transpire

sola virtus nobilitat
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #16714 on: March 10, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »

So, what do you think (not want) will happen next week?

TUE: May offers her immediate resignation to get the deal through. Brexiteers hold their nose and vote for it to get a shot at Boris/Gove vs Javid/Hunt in the final round of the leadership contest and winning a landslide amongst the Tory membership.

If the deal doesn't get through I think it goes as Aaron described and TMay calls for a GE.

TMay going for Norway/soft brexit options is the least likely of all options imo, she's the truest of true blues, met her husband at a party dinner, its literally her life. Soft brexit ruptures the party like nothing else, maybe terrible read but I think she'll fall on her sword for her deal before she'd countenance EEA.

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16715 on: March 10, 2019, 03:40:43 PM »

What I don’t get here is that if we choose to vote against no deal, but also vote against an extension, we still leave with no deal?

I also think a GE will be called - But unless she wins a lot bigger majority, then what does it solve?

At what point do we just revoke leaving, because we can’t solve it. And whilst the brexiters May hate a second vote, it may genuinely be the only way to avoid Brexit being stopped.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16716 on: March 10, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »

What I don’t get here is that if we choose to vote against no deal, but also vote against an extension, we still leave with no deal?

I also think a GE will be called - But unless she wins a lot bigger majority, then what does it solve?

At what point do we just revoke leaving, because we can’t solve it. And whilst the brexiters May hate a second vote, it may genuinely be the only way to avoid Brexit being stopped.

You keep talking like a second ref will solve everything.

What if the result is exactly the same maestro?

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16717 on: March 10, 2019, 06:21:41 PM »

It seems the best option to me. Then the people can overrule MP’s to finally process this ‘deal’ or choose to remain as they know now what Brexit looks like. This is the only way to get on with it.

Otherwise you have 650 MP’s who’ll never agree to vote for a deal. Not enough time. Whilst all the time a GE, may not have the desired result.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16718 on: March 10, 2019, 06:28:14 PM »

It seems the best option to me. Then the people can overrule MP’s to finally process this ‘deal’ or choose to remain as they know now what Brexit looks like. This is the only way to get on with it.

Otherwise you have 650 MP’s who’ll never agree to vote for a deal. Not enough time. Whilst all the time a GE, may not have the desired result.

This doesn't answer a thing though does it?

At the moment they aren't not agreeing to a deal, they are pretty much not agreeing to no deal, which is where we are heading.

So another ref gets passed and you then agree that we all agree to "no deal", is that what I understand you mean?

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #16719 on: March 10, 2019, 06:38:56 PM »

Any result where the DUP aren't required to prop up the government solves the Irish border customs checks issue. We can leave the single market and customs union have a customs border down the Irish Sea without endangering the peace in NI.

This assumes that there wold be another open ended question on the ballot paper which would be a pretty absurd thing to do given where we are. A second vote would be some combination of Remain/Mays Deal/No Deal all of which are pretty explicit instructions.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #16720 on: March 10, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »

Used to be the case that MPs were elected by the public to act as public servants and carry out the will of the people

Thought that was democracy

Now we have MPs refusing to exercise the will of the people, seemingly about to force another vote upon the people, squeezing the elected government to bend to their will

Not sure what that is but doesn’t look like democracy to me.

Remain might celebrate this turn of events but it’s a pretty dangerous road to travel, regards democracy, freedom and overall public engagement in politics. But as long as the minority get what they want...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:46:19 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16721 on: March 10, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »

This doesn't answer a thing though does it?

At the moment they aren't not agreeing to a deal, they are pretty much not agreeing to no deal, which is where we are heading.

So another ref gets passed and you then agree that we all agree to "no deal", is that what I understand you mean?

No it's not what I am saying. I am trying to say that a motion should be passed that allows the people to have the final vote on Brexit, due to the fact that MP's are never going to get this over the line. 60m is much more powerful than the 650 that can't get anything passed.

I am not saying it should be No deal v Remain, or deal v remain, I genuinely don't know what the question should be to be quite honest, that is much more complex. But there simply is no point in extending A50 because we are going to be in the same place in 3/6months time, whilst as already said, I am not sure a GE will solve the problem for sure.

I ask a question to everyone, if you knew a second referendum would overrule the MP's in the meaningful vote, and any decision would be implemented, then would you support it?
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #16722 on: March 10, 2019, 07:05:25 PM »

Used to be the case that MPs were elected by the public to act as public servants and carry out the will of the people

Now we have MPs refusing to exercise the will of the people, seemingly about to force another vote upon the people, squeezing the elected government to bend to their will

Remain might celebrate this turn of events but it’s a pretty dangerous road to travel, regards democracy, freedom and overall public engagement in politics. But as long as the minority get what they want...

The problem with the the ‘will of the people’ is that it is nearly always somewhere between poorly informed and wilfully ignorant (think of your posts itt). That is why all western democracies are some form of representative democracy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16723 on: March 10, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »

The older I get, the better I was.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #16724 on: March 10, 2019, 07:16:02 PM »

The problem with the the ‘will of the people’ is that it is nearly always somewhere between poorly informed and wilfully ignorant (think of your posts itt). That is why all western democracies are some form of representative democracy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy

Also, just over 15 million people voted for Brexit out of a population of about 66 million - how exactly does leaving the EU represent 'the will of the people'?

We have never elected politicians to do what 'the people' want - we elect them to do what is best for the country.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 1113 1114 [1115] 1116 1117 1118 1119 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: